The model uses too few bitmap materials ERROR

swanley007

Hello all,

Here is a paste from the run:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\>cd 3ds2kex

C:\3ds2kex>3ds2kex -v3 -s c:\test\test.3ds
Loaded c:\test\test.3ds.
Processing materials.
Material Material.
The model uses too few bitmap materials. Please reconfigure the model to use e
xactly one bitmap.

I can't figure out what is happening???

This mesage lets you know that you do not have the tga assigned to the 3D model, it there fore will not export the Kex.

I am using the NexSTAR tutorial, and the cube named FUSELAGE to just ge an idea of what is going on. Can you give me a quick process of how to ensure this?

Change the file ext back to zip to open

Attachments

• Assigning Wings 3D tga files in Max for Dummies.g3x
    760.5 KB · Views: 62
Thank you for that, but please remember that I am using blender. the tutorial text from Knife edge reads:

You're going to need an image file to assign to your cube as a texture. I'm going to be using the NexSTAR
texture, which is included in the .zip archive that this tutorial came in. You're going to have to extract the
texture from the archive to a place on your hard drive to use it. IMPORTANT: Make sure you extract it to the
directory that you're going to save your kex to. If you move the image file after the kex has been created, your
aircraft will not have a texture.
We'll refer to the viewport with the blue box as the “UV Mapping Viewport” from now on. At the bottom of this
viewport, click the “Image” menu, and then click “Open.” This will bring up a file browsing dialog. From here,
navigate to where you extracted the NexSTAR texture to and click on it, then click the ”Open Image” button.
NOTE: All textures imported into RealFlight must have a size that is a power of two (i.e. 4x4, 16x16, 128x128,
1024x1024, etc.).
The blue box should now be replaced by an image of the NexSTAR's texture, and the texture should also be
mapped to the cube in the 3D viewport. Every object must have a texture assigned to it; otherwise the 3ds2kex
converter will complain. If you were modeling an aircraft, you'd need to repeat this step for every component.

Mine does not show up on the cube, and evedently attach itself.

I do not use Blender, I use Wings to model and Map. Try Terry, jb999 after 6pm today. That would be four hrs from now, that is when he rools his lids back. He was useing Blender.

You ran into one of my first problems. I believe that you don't have a map associated with the 3D model. Like flexible, I use Wings 3D for all it can do, which is the model and the map. If you get Blender figured out, especially the pivots, let me know. I'd love to use it.

HERE IS MY SMALL TUTORIAL ON HOW TO DO THIS:
**Assumes Python and 3ds2kex export tool has been installed

1) Open Blender
2) In Link and Materials, Change ME:Cube to ME:FUSELAGE
3) Change Object Mode to Edit Mode
4) Right Click on Dividing Line Between Top and Bottom Toolbars and Select Split Area
5) Split the Screen Vertically into 2 Parts
6) Press "U" Key
7) Select Unwrap (Smart Projections)
8) Click OK on Options Menu for Unwrap
9) On Right Screen Select UV/Image Editor
10) On Right Screen Image -> Open (select image to use)
11) On Left Screen Select Texture Paint

You will now see the texture painted onto the object and how it will look

You can now use the 3ds2kex tool to export the object

Thanks to all that have helped with this issue. I would still like to learn how to map the image exactly, but at least this get past the thread title error.

You can have some objects not mapped but I believe the Rootframe and possibly other required objects always needs to be mapped to the .tga. I've had certain objects on my models as baked materials and it works fine, but other objects would cause this error if not mapped to the .tga. I believe the Rootframe is one but I don't know which other objects might cause this issue.

My JAJA and JOJO, were all material color. The only thing maped was a cube, in the front wall on the belly, called ~CS_DROPSWITCH. Every thing else was colored in wings, so people could not tamper with them.

Attachments

• jayjay18685.jpg
    jayjay18685.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 6
  • jojo5873.jpg
    jojo5873.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
In my very first model, I mapped the ~CS_ENGINE component only. That allowed the model to be exported as a .kex, and that component is not visible in RF. You could even map just a collision mesh, I suppose.

Back