The Need for Speed

drfunk

Does anyone know of a way to make a plane go faster than 447 mph without the plane shutting down. Once that speed is reached, the plane shuts off and is uncontrollable.

I have gotten a plane to go faster than 447, but I have no idea what action of mine made it possible

Actually there is a hard limit built into G3 preventing speeds in excess of 450mph.

This has been asked before... so if you want KE to do anything you need to show them a REAL r/c airplane going over 450 mph. G3 is not a game, it is a sim.

schneecat said:
This has been asked before... so if you want KE to do anything you need to show them a REAL r/c airplane going over 450 mph. G3 is not a game, it is a sim.

AGREE! Buy a game if you want extreme speed, you could always turn up the physics speed to make it seem like you're going faster!

schneecat said:

That is a bunch of BS. Realflight does LOTS of things that are not realistic to RC planes can do, I can make my .40 sized trainer weigh 100 pounds, I can make the engines put out HUGE amounts of power never acheivable in real life. So why put some stupid 450 MPH limit on the planes.

Your statement about RealFlight being a sim, not a game, and that we need to show them a REAL plane doing something is just BS.

JettPilot

dude, calm down! There is a limit on weight right? So there is a limit on speed and every other thing in the sim. I hope you didn't buy G3 to see how fast you can go. BTW, this was a nice and polite thread until you came in, keep it peaceful around here, lets not start a war.

Still it would be fun to see how fast you can go w/o a limit is it possible to over come the 450mph limit w/o changeing size or physics

JetPilot said:
That is a bunch of BS. Realflight does LOTS of things that are not realistic to RC planes can do, I can make my .40 sized trainer weigh 100 pounds, I can make the engines put out HUGE amounts of power never acheivable in real life. So why put some stupid 450 MPH limit on the planes.

Your statement about RealFlight being a sim, not a game, and that we need to show them a REAL plane doing something is just BS.

JettPilot

You don't NEED to show them anything.

However there is no rational or reason for them to make planes behave unrealistically. It is a simulator.

That people choose to modify planes and make them unrealistic is not KE's doing or concern. You can do whatever you want within the confines of the software.

However it is unlikely that KE will ever modify it specifically to behave unrealistically. That goes against their intent and market.

Calling it B.S. serves no purpose.... other than being a bit reactionary.

G3 has wonderfull oppurtunities for both sides. I like to keep an open mind and think nothing is bad, or wrong. I love the fact of using this as a sim. I am always working hard and practicing new moves before i go and crash on the field. Then again i have had friends that cant fly for anything but they will love to play the sim in the chase cam. Sometimes i have a blast just trying to modify and make things more powerfull; it's the Tim the Tool Man in me. 440mph just to further my tuning skills is good enough for me.

Its super easy to mod a plane to go top speed, but try giving the characteristics of a fast plane, that'll keep u busy for weeks! That is if you go in depth with trial and errors.

SR-71 Quarter Scale

First, I am happy with the speed limit.

I created my own SR-71 model in 3DSMax Kexported it and loaded it into RF and discovered the ~450 MPH limit. At some point before attaining that speed, the vertical stabilizers had departed the aircraft. Unless my real-world R/C craft were to actually use carbon-carbon, titanium, and carbon fiber construction, I assume it would suffer the same fate.

I then computed scale vs. actual sizes and speeds for the SR-71:

actual 1/4 1/5 1/10
-----------------------------------------------------
55.58 13.89 11.11 5.55 Wingspan (Ft)
2434 609 487 243 Top Speed (MPH)

And I wondered "How could an R/C pilot maintain control over a 1/4th scale plane moving 891 feet per second?". How big would the airfield with a 360 degree unobstructed view need to be to accomodate the turn radius at that speed?
Would I need to obtain a special license from the FCC to erect the antenna? Who makes the RF amplifier needed for the transmitter?

I wouldn't like to fly looking through binoculars or a telescope. I fly for fun and somehow I don't think that would be very fun.

if you really want to see if it will fly that fast, you could just go straight up in the air as high as you can, and go full throttle straight down until your motor cuts and it will still be picknig up speed.

harv

harv said:
if you really want to see if it will fly that fast, you could just go straight up in the air as high as you can, and go full throttle straight down until your motor cuts and it will still be picknig up speed.

harv
Or just get G4 ... ;)

harv said:

harv

Are you talking about a real RC aircraft? If so the aircraft will only go about 120 MPH which is called "terminal velocity". ie., the maximum speed attainable by a falling object without an accellerating force.

Mach 3+ Yard Dart

While flying at near hypersonic speeds (scale), some of the airport designs demonstrate the condition I described earlier. I discovered that you could turn the SR-71 into a "yard dart" that you stick into mid air, which I assumed was the edge of the airport model's definition. The same situation whereby, turn radius and visibility of the model (in the actual environment) could prevent safe control leading to long and expensive walks in high grass while holding your head down.
I realized the model rocket guys weren't launching guided missiles at me for over-flying the fringes of their airspace to get less detailed photos of their field than is available from Google Maps and just relaxed and slowed down. This also allowed the blood to flow back to my knuckles. Plus my wife said it looked like I was about to break the controller in two pieces.

Back