The Next Build

jeffpn said:
Here's the transparency behind a transparency problem. The canopy is obviously a transparent material. The Monokote (blue) also has a level of transparency. When you view the Monokote through the canopy, you lose the blue on the fuselage. You can still see the blue on the wing. Is this because the wing is lower than the fuselage, not on the same plane or the same mesh? (The Monokote directly under the canopy is not a ~CANOPY material. It cannot show through.) Why would this phenomenon affect the fuselage, but not the wing? I have the canopy as it's own object, not parented to anything. The wing's hierarchy is set up the same way. Is there anything in the modeling that can be changed to eliminate ths issue?
try putting a face on the bottom of the canopy, normal/"solid" side facing the fuse. i think i had this sane issue a few versions back, and that fixed it. worth a try
enjoy
crashed

That'd be cool if it's that simple. I normally "hole" bottom/rear face of a canopy like this. Out of habit, this one is the same way. Since it won't open, there's no reason it can't be closed geometry.

crashed again said:
try putting a face on the bottom of the canopy, normal/"solid" side facing the fuse. i think i had this sane issue a few versions back, and that fixed it. worth a try
enjoy
crashed
No joy. Still the same issue. This problem may better be addressed in the CS. It's not that big of a deal to me, though.

phrank said:
Does it change if the canopy transparency is baked or mapped?
I don't know. The canopy is baked. It's not a big enough issue to me to map it for experimental reasons.

Jeff, do me a small favor, and raise the canopy so that the base line is higher than the cockpit floor, which would be the same as if the canopy was hidden, then show a screeny

Hide the canopy, then export the hex, then show the screen in RF. I think the base line on the canopy is lower than the cockpit floor, so that the hole or hide tool is hideing the monocote on the floor. If hideing the canopy fixes it, the there is a simple fix.

Flex, the exposed balsa is not under the canopy. It is outside of the canopy. The blue that's arch shaped is the canopy footprint, under or enclosed by the canopy. The exposed balsa is only visible on the fuselage when viewing it through the canopy, in one side, out the other.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
phrank, it took me quite some time to navigate through the waters of Max and GIMP, but I mapped the canopy, instead of it being baked. Still shows the same issue.

mmm, me thinks you may have a more complex issue. Rather than applying the "hole" material in wings make the entire bottom and back of the canopy one side with no lines intersecting. Select it and INTRUDE to give the entire canopy thickness. It adds some polys but it may just be the ticket you are looking for. Sometimes the Hole trick is just a trick and it moments like this where it is exposed for all to see.

I could try that , but that's what I did on my very first model. I got this, and never did it that way again.

Well, shoot. I thought there was a picture somewhere around here. What I was getting was 2 reflections off the canopy, due to having double faces. I bet phrank remembers, he fixed it for me in Max. I doubt though, that I named the material ~CANOPY (but he probably did.) Have you done it that way, willsonman?

Ok, I tried it 2 times. Once with a thickness to the canopy wall, and once without. Each time of course, there were interior canopy faces pointing inwards. I got the same result as earlier, exposed balsa. I just don't think there is a modeling workaround. I think the look of the balsa through the Monokote will just have to be done in the CS, and not the 3D model. Because the front of the fuselage balsa is sheeted, it's not a big deal in this model. It could be done. If the balsa was bracing instead, it wouldn't work.

It may still blink on you, due to the material name. That's my end. If you can match up the pattern/color, I can do my thing, too.

Well, I encountered this issue on the Saab B-17 (why it never made it to the swaps). The fuselage has a window in the side of the fuselage on both sides. If you applied alpha to the fuselage in any location the canopy would do exactly what you are describing. I tired both ways and never could get it to work. Had DHK look at it and he suggested that there were misaligned vertices along the edge of the canopy where it meets the fuselage. No go. There is a bug I am convinced that KE will not man up to on this because I cannot be the only one with the issue.

Its interesting though. When you look at the escapade made by KE in the expansion pack it features the semi-transparent look of covering film in the wings but not the fuselage area. I cannot find a single KE plane that uses transparency in the fuselage to verify that it in fact can be done. It seems like a reasonable request and a simple thing to do but all the bugs that I see for the custom content that seem to not get fixed is part of the reason why I still refuse to upgrade from 4.5. Fix the mess you got and you get more $. Seems logical huh?
--rant over--

willsonman said:
I cannot find a single KE plane that uses transparency in the fuselage
And now I think we know why. It'd be so nice if we could get notes from KE on model building. My biggest request would be anything that you can put in the object properties, like NUP values and MaxSmoothing parameters, etc. that I know they give their modelers for reference. All in one handy place, instead of scouring the forums to find where others have had the same problems before. They've said before that we have the exact same tools available as they do to build models. How do their modelers find out about advanced parameters?

Somebody flag my post so Chris reads it!!!

willsonman said:
I cannot be the only one with the issue.
Nope. check out the lights on my Toucan. Pan around and they come and go. Neat thing is, I removed the transparency from the inside bulbs when I noticed it, but that still didnt fix the problem.

x-ray effect

Is this the same problem that had been discussed for the last two years. Other game forums talk about the same issue. STACKING or OVERLAPPING Transparencies objects leads to that X-Ray effect. Direct-X is not able to handle multiple see through layers at a time? I remember reading it some where else.

Davevh had the same problem, and like Willsonman said you can just work around it.

Look at this post 11 - 15
https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=24807

That Its probably why RF stock planes are made the way they are.

Back