The Truth, Gentlemen?

r1derbike

I'm glad to be back. I just reinstalled 5.5 on a laptop I purchased last year, and it appears to be running super.

To those who have just used the $50.00 upgrade disk for RF7, are you satisfied that it was worth the money? I think future features will use it as a prerequisite, but I want gut feelings from those in the know; the users of RF7.

I've been with RF for years, but recent health issues have put a damper on my activities (all), and I find I'm enjoying getting my skill set back slowly. I may fly 3D somewhat poorly now, when I was proficient at it before. Had to learn how to ride a motorcycle again, as well as type.

Enough about me, there are countless others in worse shape than me, and I'm thankful to be alive.

RF7. Worth it?

My Opinion on the RF7 Upgrade.

If your looking for changes in Physics from 6.5 to 7 there isn't much difference. From 5.5 to 7 it will be a change just as it was from 5.5 to 6. There are challenge events in RF7 which I personally don't like since what I have done is all from Ground view and there is no depth perception on a flat monitor so I always run into the obstacle i am trying to avoid. I enjoy Flying Ground view in the sim but i don't fly around obstacles in ground view or I use photofields instead of 3D Fields. I judge my landing's by looking at the shadow on the ground since that's the only way I can judge where my aircraft is in relation to the runway. Another annoying thing about the challenges; you don't get all your expansion pack or Mega pack aircraft if you purchased them previously UNLESS you complete the challenges which are a pain in the arse if you can't do them properly because its almost impossible to judge how close you are to the target without a 3D setup. They should have created new content for people to earn instead of taking away what I was flying in previous versions of RF.

One thing I do like in RF7 is the HUD that is available if you fly in Nose view or have a camera installed someplace on your model. It works well although I think there are some things that could be added to make it even more beneficial but its definitely a good effort. As FPV flight becomes more and more popular this will become a necessary feature for many people.

Unlimited Combat looks like it would be fun for people that Enjoy Combat. Any Aircraft, including helicopters and Custom content can now shoot at each other in the combat sessions. One thing that would be a nice addition would be to allow the Machine guns or missile launchers to move with a moveable pod so a turret on a plane can rotate the gun and it fires where its pointing, not just where it was setup in the editor. This would be a feature request I would like seen in the program.

In my opinion, it is worth the upgrade from 5.5 to RF7 just for the custom content that is now being developed for the sim by the Modelers here on the forum. Much of the new content will not work in G5.5 and requires RF6+ for it to install properly. Custom propellers, Rotor blades and sounds that are on new aircraft will not work with 5.5.

Last edited:
I really like RF7, the upgrade was worth its money in my opinion.

The Helis feel different in my optinion, the cyclic reaction is smoother and faster..

Challenges are nice to play around with, even if it's a little dumb to unlock content with them.

The HUD is great for FPV flying since we don't have animated instruments in the cockpit (yet?)

Linear movable pods are cool for completely animated rotorheads, even though I didn't use them for this reason yet.

And of course, I'm up to date with the software.

Jonas

Thanks for the input, gentlemen. I think I will spring for it as I've already got the elite controller with 5.0, I purchased.

I'm assuming there are no new functions that would require another controller?

I'm assuming there are no new functions that would require another controller?

Nope. No new functions. Your In good shape with the Interlink from G5. If you like to use your field radio though, they have refined the way it connects and is much easier to use if you still have the cables to connect to the interlink. I had to order a set of cables for mine since I haven't used them in years.

Last edited:
In my Opinion, there are a lot of nay -sayers about Real Flight 7. No its not a night and day difference in anything you are used to on RF6.5. There appears to be a slight difference in the feel of the Heli's. I only fly heli's so I can't speak about planes. But the thing is. Now that Real Flight 7 is here, Real flight 6.5 is as good as its ever gonna get. With real flight 7 you have 2 years of free upgrades to make it even better or at the very least a chance to get better. Real Flight 7.5 will be a free upgrade next year, then you might ask yourself, should I have upgraded to 7.0 last year instead of haggling with myself about it?

In my Opinion, there are a lot of nay -sayers about Real Flight 7. No its not a night and day difference in anything you are used to on RF6.5. There appears to be a slight difference in the feel of the Heli's. I only fly heli's so I can't speak about planes. But the thing is. Now that Real Flight 7 is here, Real flight 6.5 is as good as its ever gonna get. With real flight 7 you have 2 years of free upgrades to make it even better or at the very least a chance to get better. Real Flight 7.5 will be a free upgrade next year, then you might ask yourself, should I have upgraded to 7.0 last year instead of haggling with myself about it?

I agree 100%.

I am also not going to let the issue go though about the DX9 still being used for the next 2 years. RF8 needs to be on DX10-11 and I hope they are hiring a game designer for this reason.

I'm glad to be back. I just reinstalled 5.5 on a laptop I purchased last year, and it appears to be running super.

RF7. Worth it?

RF6 & 7 are sure prettier than 5.5. Crashes & heli autos are more realstic. But in my opinion, the actual flight physics are dumbed down from 6.0 on ...made easier.
I've been flying on 6.5 & now 7 for a couple of months and my skills at the field have dulled. Flying for real now, my piro-funnels unexpectedly droop & collective stops slide off the mark. All kinds of 'clench' moments which 6.5 & 7 removed from training. Everything flys like it's on rails. Unrealistic.
I just switched back to 5.5 and I'm again reminded of real flying. Now I have alittle re-training to do. Also, collective & tail rotor sounds are much more 'realworld' in 5.5. They are all but removed from RF6 & 7...this was covered in another thread. This is annoying if you listen to your sim heli as you would at the field.
So IMO if you're in it like me for real-world 3d training... stick with 5.5.
(Full disclosure, I'm speaking about flybar helis here... I don't know about the fbl stuff.)

Last edited:
RF6 & 7 are sure prettier than 5.5. Crashes & heli autos are more realstic. But in my opinion, the actual flight physics are dumbed down from 6.0 on ...made easier.
I've been flying on 6.5 & now 7 for a couple of months and I see how my skills at the field have dulled. Flying for real now, my piro-funnels unexpectedly droop & collective stops slide off the mark. All kinds of 'clench' moments which 6.5 & 7 removed from training. Everything flys like it's on rails. Unrealistic.
I just switched back to 5.5 and I'm again reminded of real flying. Now I have alittle re-training to do. Also, collective & tail rotor sounds are much more 'realworld' in 5.5. They are all but removed from RF6 & 7...this was covered in another thread. This is annoying if you listen to your sim heli as you would at the field.
So IMO if you're in it like me for real-world 3d training... stick with 5.5.
(Full disclosure, I'm speaking about flybar helis here... I don't know about the fbl stuff.)

I agree to some extent that the Flybar heli's do seem to work better in 5.5 but the FBL in 6.5 and 7 seem to be pretty spot on at least for me. I don't fly a Flybar heli anymore as all my birds are FBL. Flybarless in real life can seem like the heli is on rails depending on how you setup your Flybarless unit and I like the precision it give me for flying in tight quarters which i most often do. (under trees, back of SUV, etc..)

I agree to some extent that the Flybar heli's do seem to work better in 5.5 but the FBL in 6.5 and 7 seem to be pretty spot on at least for me. I don't fly a Flybar heli anymore as all my birds are FBL. Flybarless in real life can seem like the heli is on rails depending on how you setup your Flybarless unit and I like the precision it give me for flying in tight quarters which i most often do. (under trees, back of SUV, etc..)

It may be that the new physics are really geared toward FBL flight, so that even the flybar birds take on those characteristics. It also seems to me that the air is thicker than in real life so that the blades have way too much 'bite'. Pirofunnels never 'dip' or 'slide out' & the tail never struggles against the wind.
In 5.5 I can actually hear the difference in the tail when pirouetting with / against the direction of travel... just like at the field. Really amazing realism. With 6 on, all that's gone.
Overall, I have much more confidence that 5.5 is keeping me sharp with honest flight physics.

I believe there was a discussion a while back about the air in RF6 and it was concluded that the air is thicker in RF6 compared to 5.5. You are spot on with that assessment.

I am curious, has the issue of the script errors that we all get when hosting, which showed up in the 6.5 upgrade, been corrected?

I believe there was a discussion a while back about the air in RF6 and it was concluded that the air is thicker in RF6 compared to 5.5. You are spot on with that assessment.

Thanks, I missed that discussion. I'm curious... in your opionion, are the fbl physics in 5.5 more or less accurate than in 6+ ?

Back