Tractor 120

I just finished adding the landing gear and wheel pants but I need to shape the wheel pants a little more before I upload a picture of it.

Pedro are the wheel pants flat on the sides? They look that way in the picture but I can't tell for sure.

I just finished testing a new method for creating a ribcage but I didn't care for it so I'm going to stick with the way I've always done it. I wasted some time but I've wanted to try this for a while so it was worth the effort.

Before I started modeling the Tractor 120 I sent an email to Flying Circus (the mfg) and asked them if they had a better drawing I could use. I got an email from them today with a new drawing and just finished making a new template to use in 3ds Max. Now I'll go back and make any corrections needed so the plane will be more accurate. So thanks to the guys at Flying Circus for the new drawing.

I just finished testing a new method for creating a ribcage but I didn't care for it so I'm going to stick with the way I've always done it. I wasted some time but I've wanted to try this for a while so it was worth the effort.

And what was that method? Should have shown it at least I feel. Could have given someone a new technique or something or mayhaps thought them something me thinks. Very curious.

Also very cool to get the drawings from the manufacture, wow! Not many people do that anymore these days. Nice one!

And what was that method? Should have shown it at least I feel. Could have given someone a new technique or something or mayhaps thought them something me thinks. Very curious.

Also very cool to get the drawings from the manufacture, wow! Not many people do that anymore these days. Nice one!
I outlined the new method in a post a while back you probably missed it. The only big difference is I wasn't going to make a separate rib cage that was "inside" the wing just cut all the ribs into the wing and then do a few tricks in the color scheme to make it work. BUT when I tried to map it I couldn't find a way to "hide" all the "outside" polygons when I wanted to map the "inside" polygons. You can do that easy when you're creating the wing but once you apply the Unwrap UVW modifier you can't do it anymore. Couple that with the fact if you have a separate internal ribcage you can apply the balsa texture to it and only paint the color on the "outside" polygons of the wing, aileron, stabilizer. So other people can create a color scheme for it without redoing the balsa and applying a transparent color over it like the new method required. So it was a combination of things that made me decide not to use it.

I created a new template from the drawing I got from Flying Circus to use in 3ds Max and went back this morning and adjusted the areas that didn't match the new template. The fuselage, wings, hstab, and vstab only needed minor changes but the landing gear needed to move back and get larger and it does look better now. I also added a spinner to match the size in the new template.

There's still lots of work to do cutting out the control surfaces and creating the rib cages for them and I need to add the engine too. So still lots of work to do. Here's a picture of the latest changes.

Tractor 120 10.jpg

I think I'm worn down these days I started cutting out the control surfaces but had to stop for a break after cutting out the aileron and flap. I only seem to be able to work in small chunks before I have to stop. So I think it's time for coffee and playing a game for a while. I'm not looking forward to making all the rib cages they're always a pain. I suppose they're not really that hard to do just lots of extra work and I tend to get lazy near the end and just want the project finished.

I think I'm worn down these days I started cutting out the control surfaces but had to stop for a break after cutting out the aileron and flap. I only seem to be able to work in small chunks before I have to stop. So I think it's time for coffee and playing a game for a while. I'm not looking forward to making all the rib cages they're always a pain. I suppose they're not really that hard to do just lots of extra work and I tend to get lazy near the end and just want the project finished.

take a while get some R&R. I dont know how many hour per day you work on models. I probobly only average 1-3 hour per day. but some time I will get a fire under my backside. and i will put out a 30-40 hours in 3-4 days. then not focus on it for a while.

Thanks guys I'm glad others understand the feeling. I took a short break and drank some coffee and then paid the guy for mowing the lawn. Then I decided to suck it up and do the rudder too. And legoman since my wife is bed ridden I tend to have lots of time to model so in the past I'd spend most of the day sitting at the computer and modeling or surfing the web. So lots of time on the computer. Lately like I said I tend to do a few things and then stop for a while, then I get bored and go back and work some more. Ha.. I think I'm in a rut. But such is life I guess.

So now all the control surfaces are cutout. I had already cut the rib cage into the hstab for the test I did so now I need to import the original hstab and then resize the one I've already cut to create a rib cage for the hstab. So at least that one will be easy.

Thanks guys I'm glad others understand the feeling. I took a short break and drank some coffee and then paid the guy for mowing the lawn. Then I decided to suck it up and do the rudder too. And legoman since my wife is bed ridden I tend to have lots of time to model so in the past I'd spend most of the day sitting at the computer and modeling or surfing the web. So lots of time on the computer. Lately like I said I tend to do a few things and then stop for a while, then I get bored and go back and work some more. Ha.. I think I'm in a rut. But such is life I guess.

So now all the control surfaces are cutout. I had already cut the rib cage into the hstab for the test I did so now I need to import the original hstab and then resize the one I've already cut to create a rib cage for the hstab. So at least that one will be easy.

I would say do what you want to do with your free time, if you dont want to work on something take a break do something else or work on a different project. there is no deadline around here to get stuff done.

When I get it a rut or don't want to work on the current project. I will dabble in some other plane or design something. If it flies terrible well okay scrap it try something else. One of my homemade projects was a mixture of a Convair XB-53, and a Vultee XP-54 Swoose goose with some other recognizable features from other airplanes. But it had started as a XP-54 with a jet engine and exaggerated wing. It was going to be a twin boom but I could not make the boom look the way I wanted. so I put it up for a while then I thought what if I just scrap the boom and mount the elevators on the inboard part of wing and some where around that time I had seen/reseen the XB-53. But the plane has a terrible accelerated stall into a spin that is very hard to recover from so I stopped development.

I would say do what you want to do with your free time, if you dont want to work on something take a break do something else or work on a different project. there is no deadline around here to get stuff done.

When I get it a rut or don't want to work on the current project. I will dabble in some other plane or design something. If it flies terrible well okay scrap it try something else. One of my homemade projects was a mixture of a Convair XB-53, and a Vultee XP-54 Swoose goose with some other recognizable features from other airplanes. But it had started as a XP-54 with a jet engine and exaggerated wing. It was going to be a twin boom but I could not make the boom look the way I wanted. so I put it up for a while then I thought what if I just scrap the boom and mount the elevators on the inboard part of wing and some where around that time I had seen/reseen the XB-53. But the plane has a terrible accelerated stall into a spin that is very hard to recover from so I stopped development.
Yeah I'm always doing stuff like that I tend to enjoy designing my own planes the best. And I've done my share of working on them for a while and then abandoning them. My thing is I always want to see what I'm working on finished so the deadline I'm working towards is my own doing. Ha! Like this plane I want to see it with a transparent color scheme so you can see everything in it like the Ugly Storm I love that look. When I was building real RC planes I never did a transparent color scheme but I always loved it on other people planes.

I started working on the rib cages this morning. When I did the test on the new method I tried out I cut the rib cage into the existing hstab because that's the way the new method would work there wouldn't be a separate rib cage inside the flight surfaces like before. But when I decided not to use the new method I needed to restore the original hstab without the rib cage cut in it. So this morning that's the first thing I did, restore the original hstab. Then I added a little chamfer to round off the edges and that's where I stopped for a break. Now I need to go back and do the same thing to the internal rib cage. Then I'll reduce the rib cage to keep it from poking though the hstab. So there's a little more work to do before I have the hstab and it's rib cage finished. Rib cages add a lot of work to the build but do they look cool. So things are moving a long but at a much slower pace.

Ha.. I think I'm going to email this to asj5547 and let him finish the rib cages for me he needs a break from working on that Spitfire.

Back