transmitter does not work with USB extension cable

Smedman

Hey! I have connected my Interlink DX controller with a 2 meter USB extension cable and then the controller does not work. Is there anything I can do about this so I can sit on the couch and fly? :) If I connect the ccontroller directly to the computer, everything works as it should.

Last edited:
Try a shorter cable.. I had this exact problem with my printer.. if the cable is >2m it didn´t work. I changed to a shorter 1m.. and voila.
I do understand why a 2m or longer usb cable doesn´t work. Because they´re cables that are way longer than that =)

It may be just a bad or poor quality extension. Or it may be that the length is causing a voltage drop for USB, so the computer can no longer detect the signals. All wiring does this - the solution is to use heavier wires when running longer distances. Even just having extra connectors can drop the voltage. The RF controllers tend to need more "juice" than other USB devices, and the extra length/connections may be weakening it.

Test the extension with some other USB device, although even if it works that is not a definitive confirmation that it is good enough for RF. But at least you know the cable isn't defective.
You could try adding a powered USB hub, which may boost the signal.
Or see if you can find an extension made with heavier wires....

Back