TSR-2 duel build

Junkboy999

Just started this thread to show Damage some status of the tsr-2 model. Instead of using the request thread for updates. I really did not get any farther along with it because of the complex gear setup. I went ahead and made some simple gear just to get it in to RF. Set it up with two ducted fans.

What is the wings span of the Depron model? And the target weight?

Here a nice start on his plane. https://forums.realflight.com/showpost.php?p=140719&postcount=1507

Also for the other modelers. How do I get both wheels to roll on a gear setup like this. There is the main strut and a cross bar at the bottom ( the bogie ) that has the wheels. One forward and one back. Do I need to have two gears on each side?

Attachments

• TSR01.JPG
    TSR01.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Junkboy,

I just had to say thats it's nice to see somebody is building the TSR-2.

It's a very unique aircraft worthy of being built.

Here are some shots I took while at Duxford Air Museum in England.

While I can't help with modeling, if you need any reference material just let me know.

Attachments

• 100_0909.jpg
    100_0909.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 11
  • 100_0910.jpg
    100_0910.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_0920.jpg
    100_0920.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 16
Here the first draft for a single ducted Fan TSR-2.

It is mainly for DAMAGE, but If any one wants to play with it thay can.

Attachments

• tsr102_EA.G3X
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
Neat!

I'm unfamiliar with the history of the real thing.

Was the anhedral on the wing tips put there to increase roll speed or to help stabilize yaw?

Politics, Leadership, money, international presser and ICBM's killed the project like the B-58. You can send in a missile in cheaper then making a super sonic bomber.

There some good stuff on you-tube about the real one, and in the RC forums a few videos if ducted one flying. This one has no glide ratio at all.

The design featured a small shoulder-mounted delta wing with down-turned tips, an all-moving swept tailplane and a large all-moving fin. Blown flaps were fitted across the entire trailing edge of the wing to achieve the short takeoff and landing requirement, something that later designs would achieve with the technically more complex swing-wing approach. The wing loading was high for its time, enabling the aircraft to fly at very high speed and low level with great stability without being constantly upset by thermals and other ground-related weather phenomena.

The envisioned "standard mission" for the TSR-2 was to carry a 2,000 lb (900 kg) weapon internally for a combat radius of 1,000 nautical miles (1,850 km). Of that mission 100 nmi (185 km) was to be flown at higher altitudes at Mach 1.7 and the 200 nmi (370 km) into and out of the target area was to be flown as low as 200 ft (60 m) at a speed of Mach 0.95. The remainder of the mission was to be flown at Mach 0.92. If the entire mission were to be flown at the low 200 ft altitude, the mission radius was reduced to 700 nmi (1,300 km).

TSR.2 instead used a "blown flaps" scheme, in which engine bleed air was fed through the back of the wing and blown over wide-span trailing edge flaps to lower the stall speed and takeoff run. Takeoff run with a typical load was expected to be about 490 meters (1,600 feet).

To answer your question Opjose, The wing was flat, with neither dihedral nor anhedral, but did have turned-down wingtips for roll stability.

Given the "blown flaps" I wonder if the anhedral tips were then used to help ground effect?

Normally with something as unusual as these tips there is some characteristic that the engineers are trying to improve or correct... as with the F4's upcanted tips to cure yaw instabilities.

Thanks for that info Norton. I have not done much research on this one. I saw a you-tube video of a model some guy made for FS2004. The tail planes where moving separate and the V fin moved too. I was wondering about that. Guess I have to change the Pivot on the tail and re move the rudder. I not sure if Damage EDF one will have a ruder or not.

New EA

Ok

I had to make another EA because this one has new pivots and a live tail. I have a set of mixers set up for Elevon, so no wing Ailerons. The live tail is strange but works.

Hopefully I can kick this cold. It is killing my will to model, eat, or do any thing else for that matter but sleep..

Attachments

• TSR103_EA.G3X
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
Hi Terry

Have only just found this...

Thank you for a fantastic achievement! I am very grateful for all your hard work!

I think it flies really well and similar to other TSR-2 flying models I have seen.

You might be interested to know that I have persuaded a British RC model company - Green Air Designs - to develop a depron version of this iconic aircraft. The planned kit will be approx 6 ft long and have the same flight control surfaces - including flaps - plus retracts (although not as complex as the original).

You can find the current design build on their forum at greenairdesigns.com

Hope someone does pick this up and makes a larger version with more detail!

Thanks again Terry!

Gary

Back