Twisted Hobbys Crack Yak EPP Foamy

Reset Scale

Select Object with Scale Not set at 1,press(Ctrl and A)buttons together choose "Scale to ObData".
Objects Not scaled to 1 can have severely distorted UV's and could be the source of your boolean difficulties.
Best Practice is to do all your Scaling in "Edit Mode" NOT in "Object Mode".
Hope this Helps.:)

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 5
Select Object with Scale Not set at 1,press(Ctrl and A)buttons together choose "Scale to ObData".
Objects Not scaled to 1 can have severely distorted UV's and could be the source of your boolean difficulties.
Best Practice is to do all your Scaling in "Edit Mode" NOT in "Object Mode".
Hope this Helps.:)

Thanks. I appreciate the tip. :)

The scaling problem mentioned by bosshawg has been fixed.

I worked on modeling the wing tonight. I have a feeling there is probably a better way to define this sort of shape. I started with a cylinder because I wanted the point in the center since it makes getting all the triangles to stay within the shape easier. At any rate, I still ended up with a little shading weirdness going on in texture mode. It is much better in object mode but there is still a little something that is not quite right.

Attachments

• WingDef.jpg
    WingDef.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 10
  • ShadingOddity.jpg
    ShadingOddity.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Here is my latest progress. I have brought this into RF6 so I know it will model there.

Attachments

• LatestCYak.jpg
    LatestCYak.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 10
I'm at the point where I want to do my pivot points. I have been driving myself crazy trying to figure out how to get the cursor with the axis like you get in Blender 2.49. Anyone know how to do that? The technique I use to get the pivot right requires it.

It is beginning to look something like an airplane.

Attachments

• 3dCursorQuestion.jpg
    3dCursorQuestion.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 7
You mean the widget? Look at the lower header near the center. Right next to where it says "global" you will see a box with the red, blue green widget pictured. click that and make a selection.

BTW, Id be interested in hearing how that helps with doing pivots. Are you using it instead of "draw axis"?

Attachments

• zzz.jpg
    zzz.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 8
You mean the widget? Look at the lower header near the center. Right next to where it says "global" you will see a box with the red, blue green widget pictured. click that and make a selection.

BTW, Id be interested in hearing how that helps with doing pivots. Are you using it instead of "draw axis"?

That was it. Thanks! I knew it had to be simple. I have clicked that before, and I didn't see any affect. I have no idea why.

And I use draw axis. Basically I follow the method in this post and the following posts:

https://forums.realflight.com/showpost.php?p=86911&postcount=3

If you have nothing selected, I dont think it's there.

As for the pivots, that's pretty much the method I use. There is another way, but Ill leave well enough alone as the other way is tricky and unpredictable.;)

Here is a version that at least is flyable in RF6 and has physics that aren't completely crazy. It is already a fun fly. Of course, there is a huge amount of work still left. I haven't added in the engine, servos, control rods, mapping, etc. etc. etc. It's progress.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1330291481.jpg
    ScreenShot1330291481.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 17
  • CYakv04_EA.RFX
    52.9 KB · Views: 7
Unable to work on it the last couple of days but got some time tonight. I added the force generators.

Attachments

• ForceGen.jpg
    ForceGen.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 8
At this point the Side Force Generators are in place and the 45 degree cuts for the surfaces have been made. The motor from Flexible has also been added.

Attached are screenshots of the physics, with the associated wings needed for the side force generators, as well as all the counterbalances for the various control surfaces.

Also attached is a flyable version although it isn't pretty because of the texture file this is currently mapped over.

Attachments

• CYak05phys.jpg
    CYak05phys.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 15
  • CYakv05_EA.RFX
    250.9 KB · Views: 8
One physics comment based on personal experience. I've found that using a balsa flat slab rather than a 2% flat plate works better at simulating a foamy. It is thicker and has a higher drag thereby falling out of the sky with cut power faster than the plate. I usually mix and match the two, based on the thickness of the foam.

Doug

One physics comment based on personal experience. I've found that using a balsa flat slab rather than a 2% flat plate works better at simulating a foamy. It is thicker and has a higher drag thereby falling out of the sky with cut power faster than the plate. I usually mix and match the two, based on the thickness of the foam.

Doug

Thanks Doug. That makes sense.

Lots of progress has been made since the last time. Elevator and rudder servos, servo arms, control rods, and control horns installed and working. Holes cut for the servo arms and the elevator in the back. Improvements were also made to the physics model (primarily changing the airfoil and the COG).

Attached is an EA for those that want to try it in its current state.

Thanks to Flexible for the motor, and Andy for the servos, control rods, control horns, and servo arms.

Attachments

• CYak09ae.jpg
    CYak09ae.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 13
  • CYakv09_EA.RFX
    277.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Latest version. I added the landing gear to the model and added the necessary physics support.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1331518730.jpg
    ScreenShot1331518730.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 19
  • CYakv12_EA.RFX
    379.9 KB · Views: 23
I added the trusses, battery, receiver, ESC, and a whole bunch of wires. I think I'm about at the point to start mapping.

Attached is the latest EA.

Attachments

• CYWiring.jpg
    CYWiring.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 20
  • CYakv14_EA.RFX
    490.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I have now started doing the gold color scheme. It took me a while to figure out some of the nuances of mapping under Blender 2.62. Some of this is harder than it ought to be.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1332115749.jpg
    ScreenShot1332115749.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 20
Back