Ugly Storm

Well, since we are waiting on Tax Man, and fighting covid boredom, I have been working on an AV for my personal fleet. Might as well post it.
* I converted to Electric so I could start/stop the engine.
* Installed an electric starter to save my fingers, and because I'm lazy.
* Since I'm safety oriented, I pull the plug wire off after it stops … reinstall before starting.
* The servo arms and linkage move, not perfect but appearance at distance looks reasonable.
* yes the throttle linkage moves also … you really don't know it ... but it moves. Used the one at the top of the engine so I could at least see it when zoomed in and looking from the top of the airplane. Might/should be the choke ??? (Technoid ?)
* had to remove ballast weight since I added 5+ lbs. of battery weight. May need more attention to balance.
* Plane was a little heavier ( 2 lbs.) the last time I checked.
* Added differential brakes, hard turns will lock the inside wheel allowing for a very sharp turn.
* Three position switch is engine start/stop (RF Interlink x by Tactic)

Think I'm going berserk, maybe, or just a little delusional !:unsure:

Attachments

• Ugly Storm 88 - Electric_AV.RFX
    83.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Well, since we are waiting on Tax Man, and fighting covid boredom, I have been working on an AV for my personal fleet. Might as well post it.
* I converted to Electric so I could start/stop the engine.
* Installed an electric starter to save my fingers, and because I'm lazy.
* Since I'm safety oriented, I pull the plug wire off after it stops … reinstall before starting.
* The servo arms and linkage move, not perfect but appearance at distance looks reasonable.
* yes the throttle linkage moves also … you really don't know it ... but it moves. Used the one at the top of the engine so I could at least see it when zoomed in and looking from the top of the airplane. Might/should be the choke ??? (Technoid ?)
* had to remove ballast weight since I added 5+ lbs. of battery weight. May need more attention to balance.
* Plane was a little heavier ( 2 lbs.) the last time I checked.
* Added differential brakes, hard turns will lock the inside wheel allowing for a very sharp turn.
* Three position switch is engine start/stop (RF Interlink x by Tactic)

Think I'm going berserk, maybe, or just a little delusional !:unsure:
Yes the Arm on the Top closest to the engine is the Throttle. The Arm on the Bottom closest to the Fuselage is the Choke. I'll have to check it out, thanks !!!

I have a question for you guys. I plan to release two versions at the same time one will be the "normal" size which is an 88 inch wingspan (because the real 70 inch wingspan looked so small) and one with a 100 inch wingspan which some of us like to fly the best.

FIRST please post what size you fly the beta at 100" or the AV at 88". Please EVERYONE let me know this.

NAMES TO USE

1. Ugly Storm (which will be the 88" version)

2. BUT WHAT NAME TO USE FOR THE LARGER 100" VERSION

Ugly Storm Giant

Ugly Storm 100

Giant Ugly Storm

Ugly Storm Plus

Ugly Storm Mk II

I was going to wait until more people answered my question about does EVERYONE prefer the 100 inch version but I'll go ahead and mention my concern and see what you guys think, please reply don't use like I need to know your thoughts on this.

So here's my concern. The fellow at vortice-rc, the mfg. of the plane is going to post a link to the plane after I release it so I expect lots of people that "own" the plane will download and fly it so my concern is it doesn't seem like a 100 inch version in RealFlight would fly anything like a 70 inch version in Real Life? Which is why I was planning to release a 70 inch version until I tried one and it was so small so I thought moving it to an 88 inch wingspan would make it easier to see but still fly, at least in RealFlight, as close as possible to the 70 inch version. SO.. the question is, is my line of thinking RIGHT or should I just release a 100 inch version since everyone here prefers to fly it at that size. So give me you thoughts on this I don't know what to do.

my point of view the size of the 100 is closer to the size of the real storm than 88 and the flight looks very similar to the freal

technoid can you let the fellow at vortice-rc, the mfg know the size of the 70 in span looks to small in RF ? or just make the 2 versions , i know i'll download both

Last edited:
I'd release the 100 inch version. The rest of us can do AV's of varying size people can choose from. The 200 I did was really too big and just a fun exercise at relieving some boredom.

my point of view the size of the 100 is closer to the size of the real storm than 88 and the flight looks very similar to the freal
I'm conused 88 inches is closer to the real wingspan of 70 inches than a 100 inch wingspan would be so let me know what you mean. Thanks!

Or maybe you mean VISUALLY in RealFlight you think the 100 inch wingspan version looks more like the real plane than the 88 inch version does.

technoid can you let the fellow at vortice-rc, the mfg know the size of the 70 in span looks to small in RF ? or just make the 2 versions , i know i'll download both
I've talked to the fellow at vortice-rc several times but it generally takes "days" to get an answer back so it's not a quick answer I need while I'm modeling the plane. But I did tell him I tried a 70 inch version in RealFlight but it looked really small so I used 88 inches instead and he said to use my judgement. He said he's never downloaded a swap page plane before so I'll need to give him directions on how to download and import it. They used to have a help button with that information on the swap pages but I don't see it anymore.

I'm thinking about uploading both versions on the forum and giving him a link so he can try them before I upload them and let me know what he likes the best. I suppose that's what I should do.

I'd release the 100 inch version. The rest of us can do AV's of varying size people can choose from. The 200 I did was really too big and just a fun exercise at relieving some boredom.
That's good for us on the forum but if the people that download it from Brasil aren't good at downloading and working on planes from the swap pages that wouldn't work for them. That's my problem getting a "base" version that works for them.

Back