Ultimate Biplane H9 35

Remarkable performance for an electrified bird

TopSan said:
Hi!

Have a look at the TAS - Freestyle Videos; there search for Bernd Beschorners Flights.
Best regards from Leipzig/ Germany de Frank
This great performance deserves a look by all that haven't yet seen it. It makes me feel, as a newcomer to the sport, very humble ... but compels me to practrice incessantly and get better.

http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video.php?viewkey=9e9c02cf10d6d2bdb688

Thanks for recommending it Frank.

The only thing wrong with the aircraft is that it doesn't have another wing! :rolleyes:

Comparing electric/gas setups and some example setups.

rjmanzuk said:
-If a direct mulktiplication of gas horsepower by 745 to convert to electrical watts isn't a correct approach for conversion, can you recommend a better algorithm for this newbie?
Thank you so much, and I hope you stay in the loop. Most helpful.

Hi again :)

Damned, i know this "fell in love with that beast" - feeling :D

OK, lets think abt. the comparing...

For plenty of 3D-Power, normally you calculate with 400 - 450 W/kg input.

With my 3kW - calculation for my WH Extra300, i will get 400W/kg.

Regarding the specs of a DA50R, they say 5HP/ 3,7kW, If those 3,7 kW are real then this is a factor of 1,233.

I also see factors from 1,25 to 1,3 when regarding the 5kg- class of planes. F.e. the Accord2200 at 5.2kg with 10S LiPo at 63 Amps you can see at www.hepf.at.

This is an input of ca. 2100 - 2200 Watts into an Axi 5330 - Outrunner

Compare this to a 3W28 with it's 2,35kW then you won't see the big difference in numbers - but if you can compare them while seeing them in flight you will notice thet the Electric Accord has a much greater punch - especially when pulling out from hovering.

Another example is again the freestyle flights from Bernd Beschorner at the TAS. His Raven accelerates great from hovering ; if you compare this to the 150cc and the 200cc gassers there, you will also see this difference very good.

according to what i have read, he used a -30% setup what will be around 14,7 HP. This is ca. the power, a 150cc gas engine has. But as i said - the punch was way better :)

In my Blue Albatros glider, i am running a 10S1P3200 LiPo Setup, giving 1950 Watts Max into a (4:1) geared Axi 4120/14 with a Rasa 23X12 Prop.
The result is 7,4kp of thrust at 6000 RPM ant 10-11m/s climb rate with 70-80 degrees climb angle at 7,8kg AUW of that glider.

(4,9m wingspan, review in last and next German "Aufwind" - Magazine, last one abt. the Weatronic - System inside, next one abt the plane and it's power setup)

last example for a setup: my SebArt Katana S30E: 1,25m wingspan and 505 Watts max. at 46 Amps on 3S LiPo. With it's AUW of 1300 gramms, it has a power/weight rato of 388,5 W/kg. It accelerates from hovering quite good and gives me abt 5:30 mins of "hard-style" fun with 1800 mAh (yes, the new Evo flight power 1800 takes those currents without even getting hot!).

All in all, i myself would say as a "ca." that a good electric power setup will have a 1.25 factor when compared with a gasser; for example 2kW electric matches 2,5kW gasser.

But i think it is way better not to compare directly electric to gas - but just calculate with watts/kg AUW.

Take 400 w/kg for 3D, 300 w/kg for IMAC, 200 w/kg for cruising around - with that formula, you will right with any motorplane (for gliders, you need less w/kg).

I think, my 28% WH Extra will maiden in March (according to the money :D ) - after that i can give you exact (measured) numbers on Watts/ weight/ thrust/ behaviour.

BTW: Try to play around with the plane editor in RFG3.5 and do some electric ´conversions to gasser planes there.

I did this several times with some warbirds and also some gliders to see how they match my planes and some of my friends.

Compared to the Real - Life R/C - planes, i tried: i just played around with "just for fun" in mind - but it worked and matched RL very good - much better than i thougt!

It gave a quite good impression about what to expect in RL also when changing props and batteries on the real modellplanes as far as i tried in RFG and RL!

Looks like KE did a good job on those electrical engines and batteries...

Best regards from Leipzig/ Germany de Frank

Last edited:
HX3D014 said:
there are some new batteries on the market now. Some big bonuses.. I hear A123 and M1

RE "HP/Watt to GasHp"

My coment on this.
I have heard that Elec need less HP due to a # of things.

1/ Spool time to Max HP. Elec it instant.
2/ Mass inertia to Max HP, Gas has more inertia in its Mechanical Asembly IE takes more HP to Quickly get up to Revs.

I think this Explains it.... There is most likely to be more Things involved with Comparison of Elec-Watt/HP to Gas Watt/HP. but these have a big effect.

RE " Cost to Sett up". I concure!
You will need Chargers and balancers. mains supply (or a bank of marine batteries).

Hi!

Mostly this is because of the much better ETA of modern brushless motors.

Imagine what a DA50-R would be able to when it would run at 80% ETA like a big outrunner

But sad as the world is - gass engines do not even come near that ETA numbers :D

Best regards de Frank

Lookin' good ....

HX3D014 said:
Thanks, HX3D014. Looks plenty "peppy" to me, for a relatively small motor compared to some I've been reviewing.
Opjose, is there a thread out here that I can find that lists all the info you need to start a build of the BIG electrified 35% and 46% Ultimate for this forum? Or, would I be able to modify myself the birds you've already placed on the swap pages? For example, where would I find the BIG motors? Can those already here be modified to appear bigger? Haven't yet done much modifying, but am willing to give it a shot if the tools and parts are already here. For the real build, I'm pulling together a spreadsheet of parts to purchase for both birds. I really want the 46%, but am getting a lot of (probably sensible) recommendations to do the 35%er first.
Your thoughts?

rjmanzuk said:
Thanks, HX3D014. Looks plenty "peppy" to me, for a relatively small motor compared to some I've been reviewing.
Opjose, is there a thread out here that I can find that lists all the info you need to start a build of the BIG electrified 35% and 46% Ultimate for this forum? Or, would I be able to modify myself the birds you've already placed on the swap pages? For example, where would I find the BIG motors? Can those already here be modified to appear bigger? Haven't yet done much modifying, but am willing to give it a shot if the tools and parts are already here. For the real build, I'm pulling together a spreadsheet of parts to purchase for both birds. I really want the 46%, but am getting a lot of (probably sensible) recommendations to do the 35%er first.
Your thoughts?

If you can post the URL's for specs on everything, preferably also a manual for the various components I can create a variant for you.

please, stand by

opjose said:
If you can post the URL's for specs on everything, preferably also a manual for the various components I can create a variant for you.
Thanks, Opjose. I have some additional researching, and some compiling to do, and plan to do it, but have a momentary interrupt. Please stand by. :eek:

ShortBus said:
New Hacker motors coming A100 A150 and A200 for 75-150CC planes.
Thx, ShortBus. Adding these to the compilation of available info that we will employ in spec'ng the big bird(s). :cool:

Standing by ...

ShortBus said:
New Hacker motors coming A100 A150 and A200 for 75-150CC planes.
Just about the time you got me all excited over these new motor prospects, Chris Wheeler of Hacker Brushless USA wrote back and advises:
"Dear Bob,
These motors are currently in development and are nearing the production stage. At this point in time I don't have any specs or to much information on them at all as they are still being heavily tested in Germany. As more information becomes available you will see more and more posts and we will also get specs and data on our website as soon as we get it. More than likely the A200 will be the motor for your application."

Thank you ...

HX3D014 said:
Oooooh! that Torcman site has some good stuff.
von Sommerron's site has some good how-to info for those of us who are into this as latecomers with a lot to learn ... but I'm religiously avoiding the do-it-yourself section on building your own motor. I think I'll probably draw the line there. I'd rather be flying.
Thanks, HX3D014 ... you're OK, even if you do like helicopters better than biplanes! ;)

Too few wings ...

ShortBus said:
there was a new hacker at the Arizona Electric Festival. It was in a QQ 102" Yak. :D
Was it the A200? I'm still waiting for them (Hacker)to give me the data on it (specs and availability), since they said it was still "under test". Maybe this was part of the test?
To bad QQ didn't stack an upper wing on that Yak. Sounds wing-deficient to this old bipe freak. ;)
I tagged onto the video links for the AZ fest, but didn't see that particular one. Bet it was cool! :cool:
Thx, Shortbus ...

A100 is like an 80CC Gas Engine
A150 is like a 100CC Gas Engine
A200 is like a 150CC Gas Engine.

Last edited:
That'll work!

ShortBus said:
A100 is like an 80CC Gas Engine
A150 is like a 100CC Gas Engine
A200 is like a 200CC Gas Engine.
Magic to me how you determined those figures, Shortbus; but if true, then the A200 is one motor I want to seriously evaluate. I've been unsuccessful so far in getting any quantitative specs out of Hacker just yet. Would your info source share some more info with me (e.g. size, weight, power, RPM vs props, etc)? The Hangar 9 original ARF requires a 150-200cc engine to perform as designed, so the A150 won't quite hack it in the 3D flight regimes.
I think for sim purposes, I'll run with three viable motors I've found so far, and "fly" them off against each other in G3.5 before trading my wife and one of our cars in on the "winning" contender to install in the real-life bird. :rolleyes:

Oh its not Magic... Andrew Jesky told me. :)

Seems I made a mistake. A200 is not a 200CC but a 150CC.

The QQ 102" Yak with the A150 was being flown by Mark Leseberg and Andrew Jesky. It looked like it had plenty of power.

Attachments

• IMG_2245_Large_.JPG
    IMG_2245_Large_.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Wah!

ShortBus said:
Seems I made a mistake. A200 is not a 200CC but a 150CC.
In which, unless I can get some serious weight out of the 46% TOC Ultimate ARF from Hangar 9, the A200 may be MARGINALLY acceptable at best. The big Torcman and the big Predator are rising to the top of the heap once again (with the additional advantage of having solid specs, and known prices .... neither of which can I find for the A200 yet).

Sure ... but ...

ShortBus said:
You know the ultimate flies great with a DA 150.
The H-9 ARF kit recommends the demonstrated Desert Aircraft DA-150 (150cc) gasoline engine, which was demo'd in the online video with a Mezjlik 32X10 prop. I hear you ... and the A200 STILL might end up AOK for the application. I am just a tad miffed that it's info isn't available to the average bloke on the street in a more timely fashion. Remember that I'm a relative newbie to the giant stuff, and am spoiled from my jaded past of having airplanes with lots of surplus power to overcome pilot inadequacies. Just personal preference, of course, and when push comes to shove, no doubt my wallet will speak louder than any preferences I might have. the 46% TOC kit is so heavy (to deal with the characteristics of the DA-150) that it makes me a little nervous in this first BIG electrification step forward (pun intended). Yes, I'm a conservative ... why do you ask? :rolleyes:

Back