Unexpected error occurred at startup, Realflight 9.5s (steam)

Hi, I am having the same problem. I also have the AMD chipset with a Ryzen 9.

RF 9.5S worked on my I9 system before my hardware update, and now it does not.
Using a USB 2 hub does not work. I still get the error on startup.
I left the controller unplugged and used my XBox Elite Series 2 controller, and the simulator starts normally.
After that, I tried plugging in the Interlink Elite. I chose "Select Controller" from the menu, and the program crashed.

I prefer the Interlink Elite, but I was able to locate my Interlink X. I plugged that in... and the game starts up fine.

So something about the Elite seems to be the problem. I noticed that the X shows more buttons in Windows: the trim buttons all show up as controller buttons. So I'm wondering if the Elite's non-standard method of reading the controller has something to do with the problem...

Last edited:
Hi, I am having the same problem. I also have the AMD chipset with a Ryzen 9.

RF 9.5S worked on my I9 system before my hardware update, and now it does not.
Using a USB 2 hub does not work. I still get the error on startup.
I left the controller unplugged and used my XBox Elite Series 2 controller, and the simulator starts normally.
After that, I tried plugging in the Interlink Elite. I chose "Select Controller" from the menu, and the program crashed.

I prefer the Interlink Elite, but I was able to locate my Interlink X. I plugged that in... and the game starts up fine.

So something about the Elite seems to be the problem. I noticed that the X shows more buttons in Windows: the trim buttons all show up as controller buttons. So I'm wondering if the Elite's non-standard method of reading the controller has something to do with the problem...
If you haven't installed the latest AMD AGESA drivers yet, you may try to install Agesa 1.2.0.7 drivers and test again.
I ended up purchasing PCI USB cards, USB 2.0 and another for USB 3.2 because I did not trust the motherboards internal USB anymore.
Both work fine with my controller.
This is most definitely a USB issue related to the AMD chipset.

None of the other attempts solved the issue (USB settings, Steam settings, fiddling with BIOS, etc). You will find heaps of advice on the internet regarding USB and the AMD Ryzen 9, I found them to be just a waste of time. Try the Agesa update and if it does not help, go for a card.
Until now, I only had Intel bases PCs. This is the first time I went for AMD and will probably be the last time too. I believe this to be a design flaw which AMD is not able to solve properly. If you review other USB devices in detail (event log, USB debugging) you will probably find that other devices exhibit issues too but are able to recover from it. Maybe Realflight could harden their code and eliminate the crash but I also understand that for them it is probably not worth the time and efforts to invest in older controllers.

i’m not really sure how USB systems work, so this might be of any use, but i was thunking USB ports usually are installed in pairs. An interesting test would be to plug the controller and another working USB 2.0 device into the other paired socket. The pair should then be working at USB 2.0 speeds. This would test if the contoller is sending the right info to set the USB speed of the port. It could be possible that the USB chipset will default the interlink controller down to USB 1 in which case something like a USB 2.0 memory stick in the same port might show a drop in copy speed indicating USB 1 is being used. Or even pair the interlink controller with a USB 1 device (if there’s any left in existance) on a working computer and see if Realflight fails.

Last edited:
i’m not really sure how USB systems work, so this might be of any use, but i was thunking USB ports usually are installed in pairs. An interesting test would be to plug the controller and another working USB 2.0 device into the other paired socket. The pair should then be working at USB 2.0 speeds. This would test if the contoller is sending the right info to set the USB speed of the port. It could be possible that the USB chipset will default the interlink controller down to USB 1 in which case something like a USB 2.0 memory stick in the same port might show a drop in copy speed indicating USB 1 is being used. Or even pair the interlink controller with a USB 1 device (if there’s any left in existance) on a working computer and see if Realflight fails.
It's a nice thought, but USB doesn't really work that way. Each device on the hub negotiates its own speed, and you can have 1.1, 2.0, and 3.x devices all on the same hub at the same time. So plugging into the other port on the pair won't make any difference.

As I mentioned previously, the Interlink X works, even though the Elite causes RF to crash. So this is clearly an interaction between the USB chipset on my motherboard and the older Interlink Elite controller. I just ordered the XD, since I actually want to use the controller with other flight sims besides RF (MSFS and X-Plane. It's much more comfortable to use a control box like the Interlink than to use a flight stick on my desk.)

If you haven't installed the latest AMD AGESA drivers yet, you may try to install Agesa 1.2.0.7 drivers and test again.
I did install the latest chipset drivers when I set up the motherboard. I'll double check that they are the Agesa 1.2.0.7. I also like your suggestion about getting a USB 2.0 PCIe card. I actually have a USB 3 PCIe card, but it only works with USB 3 devices. USB 2 devices won't load on this or any other USB 3 card I've tried.

I'll try both things and report back once I have some results.

Back