Updating old airports

crashntrash

Back in the days of G3.5, I spent a good deal of time creating a flying site called 'Oceanview'. It doesn't work in the latest and greatest version. Most of the components I placed remain, but it's as if the entire thing is now on a different underlying map. In other words, it's now in the wrong location on the map. Is there a way to update that airport file to work in G5.5 without rebuilding it from scratch?

Attachments

• systemspecs.txt
    631 bytes · Views: 7
Last edited:
Short answer YES.

Long answer, if you search the forums you'll see a bunch of posts about some location "offsets" being introduced during some of the RF revisions.

While this was later corrected, it affected a number of older airports.

It is easy to fix an airport.

To do so, go into the editor and make sure you have all airport objects in a subfolder.

Select that folder and "export" the object hiearchy to a file.

Now start a new airport, and IMPORT that hiearchy.

Everything will be grouped together, and you can move, rotate and place the airport as one.

What is the beat way to locate an airport? I found a location i want to use but cannot figure out how to set the airport in that location. I searched the forums but could not find this.
Mike

Yup as the Maj says...

Record the X Y Z location where you want to put the new airport.

Start a new airport and first DELETE the existing aircraft spawn point.

Click on the pilot spawn point and in "absolute location coordinates" enter the same X Y Z numbers.

Once the location changes make sure you immediately create an aircraft spawn point. That is important... You must do so before you begin editing the airport.

I recommend that you save this new blank airport, then re-open it in the editor.

You can later move the aircraft spawn point as desired.

Back