Upgrading 2 copies of RF

TomXP411

Hi all. This is probably more of a question for a Knife Edge person, rather than a community question, but the answer is relevant to all of us:

I have two licensed and legal copies of G4, complete with two Internlink controllers.

I own both copies, they are both installed on computers I own, and they are both used at my house, where my daughter and I multi-play together. When I upgraded to G5, I was able to upgrade both copies from the single upgrade disk, but I never felt entirely comfortable with this, since I'm not sure of the licensing situation regarding upgrades.

So my question is: do I need to buy one or two upgrade DVD's to be legal? Obviously, I would prefer not to have to, but I'm willing to spend the extra $50 if the license agreement requires it.

You shouldn't need two full copies within the same house hold of computers. I have RF installed on 3 computers in my house. My main desktop, my Son's desktop and the media pc connected to my big screen.
The problem would be installing it on your friends computers, but then again each copy would require the same interlink with it's unique serial number, so your friends couldn't use it anyways.
I'd say your safe with one upgrade disc. No worries.

You should buy as many copies of upgrades as you have Interlinks. KE has long said tha they don't mind multiple installations on household computers. I think that is based on the fact that most households can't run concurrent sessions of RF. Most of us are limited to using RF on one computer at a time, since we only have one Interlink. I only bought one copy of RF, so I would buy only one upgrade disc. You didn't have a problem buying two copies of RF, so you should buy two copies of the upgrade. Like everyone else in this thread so far, I am a customer, and that is my opinion.

Keep in mind Jeff both of his copies are within his household so he shouldn't need two upgrades. Sounds like a waste of 50 bucks. Who has that kind of money these days? Still just my opinion. :)

Yeah, I get that. But you're wrong. If he can run RF on 2 coomputers at the same time, he should have 2 licensed upgrades. It's no different than being required to buy 2 copies of Windows for 2 household machines.

You're in luck Tom.
Then the 6 upgrade is for you, it would:
1) Ease your conscience
2) Make a great stocking stuffer for the household.
3) Fit your $50 budget.

I was just wondering about this same thing ( from KE"s standpoint ) when I read this thread.

I was building a new Family Room PC and wondered if I should use my old Interlink Elite for that machine and the serial number / upgrade copy implications.

I haven't gone over the upgrade EULA.

As Jeff says most companies force you to buy a separate upgrade per machine, though Microsoft does offer "family" packs to upgrade multiple machines for just slightly more than the cost of one.

Interesting... Just tested this.
It is possible to run Realflight G4/5 or RF6 with an Interlink that you didn't use to activate it. :eek:

Looks like a big flaw in KEs implementation, or they don't mind as long as you have a valid Interlink. :confused:
Lets say your neighbor/friend really likes your new version of RF and does own a valid Interlink.
He "borrows" your install discs, and is now able to run the latest and greatest version with his own controller.

Ooooops!
There is a big gaping hole here! :eek:

Of course, unless a KE rep comes in and says something official, best you can hope for is a lot of rambling on what our interpretation of the license is.

Bottom line: I've long known it was possible to upgrade multiple copies of RF with a single disc. No, I've never done it outside of my own laptop. I only know 2 other people who have RF, TD9 and my godson. My godson doesn't use RF much anymore. I've always known the software and hardware serials aren't linked, so naturally one upgrade copy could upgrade everyone in an RC club to the same version. Probably, multiple use of the serials would shut down that copy. But I feel that if I buy 2 copies of the full version, I should buy 2 copies of the upgrade, regardless of whether I keep the second copy myself, or give it to my neighbor. Let's see if KE answers.

Somehow I have the feeling that KE might not want every one spilling beans on this subject here..
If folks can figure it out on there own thats one thing
but you guys may be enabling the less savy
..just my opinion

Well I guess you do have a point. Now many people know it's possible to upgrade multiple installations with a single disc. :( I'm curious about KE position on this as well.

I don't think it would be possible to get on multiplayer with your kid using the same upgrade disk serial number for both PCs. If that is your intention it is something to consider.

I suppose we could ask the pirates to speak up. They're all using the same serial number! C'mon, mateys, arrr you able to get on multiplayArrr?

phrank said:
Interesting... Just tested this.
It is possible to run Realflight G4/5 or RF6 with an Interlink that you didn't use to activate it. :eek:

That's right. I can even run multi-player that way. That's why I'm writing KE and asking. (Incidentally, I also sent a support e-mail about it.)

Some companies would be all "Dude, we're just glad you're not pirating it. One copy is fine." But others would be telling me I need two copies.

So I'm trying to get an official answer. If they want me to buy two licenses, I'll order another one. If not, then I'm all set.

mwilson914 said:
I don't think it would be possible to get on multiplayer with your kid using the same upgrade disk serial number for both PCs. If that is your intention it is something to consider.

I can; that's why I asked. The thing is, I very rarely use the second copy; the original reason I bought the second one was to have the second controller so I could do multimode (you have two planes on the same screen.) Having my kid play on the laptop while I play on the desktop is just a nice-to-have at this point.

Last edited:
Back