Upgrading to 7

Well, that took a while but I really enjoyed this thread. I was backing (rats I've forgotten his name, the guy with the separate game and controller) I actually felt sorry for him. I got the impression he was about to get thumped. If it wasn't for that long post that I understood exactly what was going on. A little diplomacy and forethought does wonders.

I'm a really newcomer to the forum but a long timer user of RF. I started with 4.5 and the basic and now it's 7, a big step up for me. I have spent the entire afternoon being coached by Buddy, I imagine most guys know him. He spent almost 6 hours teaching me all the special tips in RF7. and we both had a great time. There's something about those "rednecks" from down south :)

I'm in Australia and I'm confined to bed after a rather traumatic time in Nam. I started using RF 4.5 simply because I had nothing to do all day. I never went on line because my speed was very low but I flew the pants of RF and logged a minimum of 20 hours a week. When I got better at flying 20 hours a day wasn't unusual. I just wish I'd flown multiplayer, I wouldn't have appeared as a big Klutz as I did today.

I won't beat around the bush, Real Flight helped me out of a really big hole I'd dug for myself. I was honestly at the stage of contemplating suicide. All I did all day was lay here feeling sorry for myself. The doctors told me it was pretty normal for people having really major surgery and even worse if they were left disabled. I had them both, in spades. At first I didn't think I wanted to fly a plane around inside a monitor but I caught the RF bug and it made me completely forget about just about everything in the outside world whilst flying. If I felt miserable I'd go flying, it became a family joke, the Grand Kids used to say Oh Oh! Pops gone flying again. If anyone rang me on the phone my wife would tell them "sorry he's gone flying"

So thank you Real Flight or Knife Edge, you've made life bearable for a long time. Version 7 is the cherry on top of the cake as far as I'm concerned. I hope my Interlink Elite will be usable for a while longer too. :)

Hi to the members who fly combat, I may be a pretty hopeless enemy at the moment but watch out because I'll be gunning for you one day, I'll just have to learn how to sleep during the day because I'll be up all night shooting those Americans down. (I've only heard Americans in multiplayer mode)

Thanks for the friendly welcome I've experienced today compliments of Buddy, he even left the game he was playing to help me out. What a gentleman.

All the best .. Stu ..

NB, You've no doubt noticed, I tend to talk a lot, my wife says I can talk under water and she's never wrong. :)

Wow. It's hard to say anything after that.

I'm really glad that you hung in there. It's incredibly gratifying to know that our work can be such a bright spot in somebody's life. I will leave it at that, except to say that if a day comes when you lose interest in RealFlight, do yourself and your loved ones a big, big favor and find something else that will continue to bring you that kind of joy.

Thank you for sharing. :)

Hi,
just for infos. I buy RF6.5 Airplane mega pack(220$) in 7.2013-start play in 8.2013 (wait post delivery). Does have any solution to upgrade free or with some sale bonus or not-must buy upgrade on full price.

Thanks.

Things such as this cannot be handled by other users in this forum, please contact technical support. The grey bar at the top of each web page contains a link to contact them. Good luck.

Hi,
just for infos. I buy RF6.5 Airplane mega pack(220$) in 7.2013-start play in 8.2013 (wait post delivery). Does have any solution to upgrade free or with some sale bonus or not-must buy upgrade on full price.

Thanks.

As 12oclockhigh said.

The cutoff date for the upgrade was for people purchasing AFTER October 1st.

You purchased yours before then you do not qualify for the free upgrade.

You CAN however, purchase the $50.00 upgrade and then use your Airplane Mega Pack with Realflight 7.0.

Hi Guys,
I just received my RF7 update disc from Tower Hobbies and it will not work as stated with my ver. 3.5 controller. I'm pissed! I have an email stream I would love to post here from multiple Great Planes employees that says it will work with no problems. It keeps telling my my controller s/n is no good. How do I get around this? I loved my 3.5 version but when I got a new laptop with Windows 8 it wouldn't run. If an administrator would PM me, I would be happy to forward these emails.

They explained in the email that even though it says that, it will work. I don't want to upset the admin folks by posting publicly the email, but it sure looks to me like they screwed up. I have it in writing! I'm not sure Tower will take it back.

Last edited:
I believe the controller will work, but it needs to be registered using a copy of G4 or above. I'm sure that's what they meant.

Nobody is going to give you a Serial Number for any of their "products" here.

Many people have gotten the Interlink Plus to work but Knife Edge has clearly stated here and here They no longer test the software with it and they do not guarantee that it will work. It is no longer supported by Knife Edge since it is at its end of life and if it breaks or doesn't work,they will not fix it so that it does.

Last edited:
Well, they better tell their employees that it won't work as I bought their product in good faith and now I feel screwed.

I don't know about everybody else, but I feel that by giving you my numbers I am putting my copy in jeopardy. I paid a lot of money, I paid for the G4 software and Interlink, I paid for the G5, G6 and RF7 upgrades, Paid for all the expansion packs, I paid for the Mega Packs.

So you show up and want my numbers, good luck, cause you are going to have to pry them out of my cold dead hands. (western music playing, and Clint riding into sunset)

Last edited:
I'm just trying to troubleshoot guys. It was just a wish, not a request. Please relax. I googled Realflight 7 and I thought I found the answer. I thought the middle of my controller s/n was "12", but I found the proper format is "I2". So I uninstalled and reloaded with the correct s/n (it's really hard to tell the difference from an I and a 1) and it still doesn't work. I thought for sure I had the answer!!! I guess I'll wait until Monday to see what they have to say.

Ouch!
Nothing us users can do for you, too bad it is happening on the weekend when they are closed too.
Tower does have a return policy, I'm sure you'll be able to work our an arrangement with them to get your money back.

Ouch!
Nothing us users can do for you, too bad it is happening on the weekend when they are closed too.
Tower does have a return policy, I'm sure you'll be able to work our an arrangement with them to get your money back.

I hope the copy of the email with the return will suffice. I just wish it worked with the old controller. Why up grade the controller? It seems pretty silly to me unless the new controller has a lot more bells and whistles. It sure is a great product. Lord knows I could never have flown a heli without training on my FS3.5 first.

I hope the copy of the email with the return will suffice. I just wish it worked with the old controller. Why up grade the controller? It seems pretty silly to me unless the new controller has a lot more bells and whistles. It sure is a great product. Lord knows I could never have flown a heli without training on my FS3.5 first.

It does a couple of switches and buttons for navigating the program without keyboard, as well as digital trims. a 3-position switch is on Channel 8, I don't know if the Old one has that or not as I started with G4 and the newer controller.

Hi Guys,
I just received my RF7 update disc from Tower Hobbies and it will not work as stated with my ver. 3.5 controller.

It works fine for me.

I can also switch from the Interlink Plus, to the Interlink Elite or the RF Interface and all work fine.

I have to exit Realflight before switching controllers, but other than that there are NO problems.

Is your controller working under the old version of Realflight?

Did you perform the install for RF7 via the right click "run as administrator" option as required?
Did you run Realflight for the first time via the same option once installed, to input the serial numbers etc?
You must also do the same the first time to calibrate the controller. After that the right click is not needed.

That may be the issue. All I saw was an install button. There were no options that I could see. Where is the " run as administrator" option when you install? I see it after it's loaded, but starting the sim that way will not let the controller work. The controller worked fine with 3.5. I noticed that this time I uninstalled, and it did not ask for the s/n when I then installed. I'll click that box on the uninstall and try one more time.

Last edited:
Back