UPgrading to G4

Chromenut

Looks like I may be upgrading from 3.5 to G4 and am curious, do I deinstall all of 3.5 before installing g4, or does it matter? I know I want to keep the expansion pack planes, etc., but does G4 come with everything in 3.5 plus more??? I haven't had an opportunity to test out G4 yet...

You can leave both versions on your computer. Add-ons 1-4 (and 5 soon) are available as free downloads to G4, but your existing add-on disks won't work with the new program. Expansion pack disks will work fine.

dhk79 said:
You can leave both versions on your computer. Add-ons 1-4 (and 5 soon) are available as free downloads to G4, but your existing add-on disks won't work with the new program. Expansion pack disks will work fine.

Thanks, does G4 have the same aircaft as 3.5 plus all the new stuff? Just curious if I should keep all those aircraft and just deinstall 3.5. The only reason to keep it is for the planes and airports, but if they're already in G4 then no biggie...

There is NO reason to remove 3.5 if you don't want to.

It will not interfere with G4 in any way.

opjose said:
There is NO reason to remove 3.5 if you don't want to.

It will not interfere with G4 in any way.
Guess I didn't explain myself properly, I am selling the 3.5 setup and moving up to g4, so the controller will be gone and the program will be useless, however I've heard the airports, airplanes, etc., can be used on G4 so wondered if I should leave all that.

if you are selling G3 then you will not be able to use it without the Interlink that it came with. When I installed G4, I sold my G3 and never looked back.

jeffpn said:
if you are selling G3 then you will not be able to use it without the Interlink that it came with. When I installed G4, I sold my G3 and never looked back.
Thanks, that's kind of what I thought!

lose G3.5 edited planes?

Hi folks,

I want to get G4, sell my G3.5 and keep all my custom/edited planes and 'airports'. Can I do this? If so, are there directions posted somewhere?

Thanks,

Terry

The best way is to Export each aircraft, variant, and cs and save to a folder. You may also want to export and save all airports and photo fields. I do this as I install them on RF. When I get enough of them, I burn them to a CD and erase the contents of the file and start again for a second CD.

Jimmy Newton said:
The best way is to Export each aircraft, variant, and cs and save to a folder. You may also want to export and save all airports and photo fields. I do this as I install them on RF. When I get enough of them, I burn them to a CD and erase the contents of the file and start again for a second CD.
Exactamondo! Just what I did when I upgraded, but remember too that custom variants, aircraft, CS's, airports, etc, that you've downloaded from the Swaps will still be there on the swaps so no need exporting all of them. I've kept a copy of everything I've pulled off the Swaps that I liked and compressed those files and copied to DVD for backup. Then I backup my own personal modifications the way he mentions above, and keep them on DVD too. That way if RF or my puter dies, I've got a copy to back me up.

Back