Usage/radio connection question about upgrading software to latest version of RealFlight

Bob57

Not sure if this is the right forum or not. If not, please accept my apology. I purchased RealFlight many years ago in a package that contained a Spektrum DX5e radio. I have since lost the software due to numerous moves and computer upgrades. I recently purchased an rc biplane kit to build and thought it would be a good idea to brush up on my rc flying skills in anticipation of when I complete the project. I am unable to locate my original RealFlight software, so I figured I would re-purchase it at the latest 9.5(?) level.

My question is: Will my older DX5e radio work with the latest RealFlight SW, and if so, do I need to purchase anything else besides the software (like the cable that attached the radio to my pc, which I also don't have anymore)? I am very confused as to what exactly to purchase. I don't want a new radio, or radio analog that seems to be shipped with hw/sw packs that I see advertised if I can help it.

Many thanks for any information that anyone can offer!

Is it possible that you're thinking of Phoenix R/C simulator rather than RealFlight? I remember a DX5e/Phoenix bundle from years ago. The company behind Phoenix died, although loyal supporters of the system keep it alive despite its age.

To use that DX5e with RealFlight, you'd need to have a WS2000 Spektrum USB Receiver. That looks like a normal Spektrum receiver as far as the transmitter is concerned, but what the WS2000 does is turn the radio channels into Windows game controller inputs for the benefit of RealFlight. On the plus side, that's a wireless setup; no cable from the radio to the PC.

But I'd also point out that a 5 or 6 channel radio (6 if it's a DX5e with the flight mode switch) will be very limiting in RealFlight. You'd probably be better off putting that $45 into the InterLink DX controller that's made for RealFlight (for $100). That's essentially a 16-channel radio (a channel for every input on it) and is much easier to set up and use. You'll have a lot more fun with RealFlight if you have all of those switches at your fingertips.

FYI: I'd recommend buying RF Evolution, which is actually the latest version. I'd also recommend buying it with the Interlink-DX controller for several reasons.
1) There are dozens of "How do I get (this) to work with my transmitter?" questions here. With only 5 channels available, the answer might very well be: "You don't - it's impossible without more channels. But you can use keyboard commands to pretend you have the extra channels." That ISN'T using your transmitter to control those functions. The RF controller works with no hassles. All the models in RF will be fully functional without any messing around. I see that flightengr has posted while I'm typing, and I agree 100% with what he said.
2) Read flightengr's post - he made basically all the points I would have raised, but I wasn't aware of the DX5e/Phoenix bundle.
3) Using the simulator will save you MANY dollars in repairs & many hours of rebuilds - just push the reset button on the controller & you have a brand new airplane to figure out what you did wrong. In the long run, paying the extra few dollars for the controller will save you a LOT more than the price of the controller.

1) There are dozens of "How do I get (this) to work with my transmitter?" questions here.
For what it's worth, they're often the same question over and over, mainly for getting something mapped to the flight mode switch.

But I agree in this case, the DX5e will probably get frustrating quickly.

they're often the same question over and over
I'm afraid I get awfully tired of seeing those same questions over & over & over & over again, when they've already been answered over & over & over.... I've gotten tired of "RF starts with an airplane on the runway & doesn't respond to the controller" too. It seems like there's at least one of each of those questions every day. It would be nice if new users would at least LOOK at the forum threads before posting the same question as every other frustrated new user. Then again, it pads the stats... lots of new users & lots of posts/threads. It makes the forum look busier than it actually is.

Don’t understand why they don’t have a sticky thread at the top of the forum with those two problems and the solutions. Also how to install aircraft from the swap pages Is another one We get a lot.

I agree about the repeated questions. But we're going off topic here and the OP, @Bob57, asked a perfectly good question.

If there are more thoughts about what Bob might need or what direction to go, we should stick to that.

Thank you everyone who responded. It may have been Phoenix, it was so long ago when I purchased it, I have forgotten. Your points about just getting the Interlink controller are absolutely correct if I only wanted to use the RealFlight simulator. However, the biplane kit that I purchased (GreatPlanes Ultimate Biplane 40 that I will be building from scratch and converting to electric) really only has 4 channels that it requires (pitch, yaw, roll, and throttle) so I really don't need anything more powerful at this time. I am wanting to use the RealFlight sim with the actual radio I will be using in order to help me "learn" how to fly that model. And yes, crashes in the sim are a WHOLE lot cheaper than crashes in the model. :) I am planning on multiple 100's of hours in order to build/engineer the model, so I really, really don't want to f it up.... Thanks again everyone! Please let me know if you have any more advice, it is ALWAYS appreciated!

It is the GreatPlanes Ultimate Biplane 40. From what I have heard, the GreatPlanes company went out of business a number of years ago. They produced a bunch of high-quality kits, the Ultimate Biplane 40 kit being one of them. Look for product ID GPMA0240, or Ultimate Biplane 40 on the web. The kit calls for a .40 or slightly larger fuel-based engine, but I want to convert over to an all-electric configuration. There are a number of videos on the web explaining how some people have converted similar models. It does not look overly complicated, just a "snip" here and there to create an opening necessary for insertion and removal of the battery pack.

I purchased the kit at a local "swap" meet/estate sale. Some guy had a shop with a bunch of RC stuff and when he died his family donated all of it to a local charity for them to "fire sale". I got the kit for a song along with a few receivers and servos. I had the radio from my older sim purchase so I figured I could use that. I am retired now and love to build model kits. I just finished an 1860's era paddle wheeler model ship and was looking for my next build. I wanted some sort of RC flyable biplane kit and this fell into my lap.

I was into RC helicopter flying about 10 to 15 years ago, thus the purchase and loss of the pc simulator I used to have. I figured now would be a good time to get back into it, but I realize I will need tons of practice as I really, really don't want to munge the plane after spending so much time on it.

Ciao!

It is the GreatPlanes Ultimate Biplane 40. From what I have heard, the GreatPlanes company went out of business a number of years ago. They produced a bunch of high-quality kits, the Ultimate Biplane 40 kit being one of them. Look for product ID GPMA0240, or Ultimate Biplane 40 on the web. The kit calls for a .40 or slightly larger fuel-based engine, but I want to convert over to an all-electric configuration. There are a number of videos on the web explaining how some people have converted similar models. It does not look overly complicated, just a "snip" here and there to create an opening necessary for insertion and removal of the battery pack.

I purchased the kit at a local "swap" meet/estate sale. Some guy had a shop with a bunch of RC stuff and when he died his family donated all of it to a local charity for them to "fire sale". I got the kit for a song along with a few receivers and servos. I had the radio from my older sim purchase so I figured I could use that. I am retired now and love to build model kits. I just finished an 1860's era paddle wheeler model ship and was looking for my next build. I wanted some sort of RC flyable biplane kit and this fell into my lap.

I was into RC helicopter flying about 10 to 15 years ago, thus the purchase and loss of the pc simulator I used to have. I figured now would be a good time to get back into it, but I realize I will need tons of practice as I really, really don't want to munge the plane after spending so much time on it.

Ciao!
That will be a cool plane. Don't forget to post a few pictures for us.

That will be a cool plane. Don't forget to post a few pictures for us.
Thanks, will do, but it will probably take me 800+ hours before it is ready. I don't want to rush it and definitely want to make sure all is well before takeoff. Weights and balances will need to be adjusted based on the power system I am changing, as well as the creation of the opening for battery handling and different air cooling. Lots of manufacturing and engineering, just the kind of stull I love to sink my teeth into!

I could be wrong about this since the only RF controllers I have are the Elite (Futaba based) and the X (Tactic based I think.) My real radio is an old Futaba T8UAP, and I have absolutely no trouble switching between any of them. The current DX controller is Spektrum based, and should feel/operate a lot like your DX5e, but I can't say that for sure since I don't have either of them. I doubt that it's a particularly important consideration. Granted, you don't need the extra channels for your "dream" plane, but I wouldn't be surprised if you need more channels for future aircraft. Also, keep in mind that the Ultimate is NOT a trainer aircraft. It's probably not a great choice for a first real-life aircraft. Or your return to R/C from long ago if that's the situation.

IMHO, the most important "use" of the sim is to train your eyes & thumbs to recognize and respond almost automatically to what the plane is actually doing in the air - especially when it's a bit far away. If you have to stop and think about what's happening, it's too late. And in real-life, there's no reset button.

Thanks, will do, but it will probably take me 800+ hours before it is ready. I don't want to rush it and definitely want to make sure all is well before takeoff. Weights and balances will need to be adjusted based on the power system I am changing, as well as the creation of the opening for battery handling and different air cooling. Lots of manufacturing and engineering, just the kind of stull I love to sink my teeth into!
Sure take your time we'll be here when you're ready.

I could be wrong about this since the only RF controllers I have are the Elite (Futaba based) and the X (Tactic based I think.) My real radio is an old Futaba T8UAP, and I have absolutely no trouble switching between any of them. The current DX controller is Spektrum based, and should feel/operate a lot like your DX5e, but I can't say that for sure since I don't have either of them. I doubt that it's a particularly important consideration. Granted, you don't need the extra channels for your "dream" plane, but I wouldn't be surprised if you need more channels for future aircraft. Also, keep in mind that the Ultimate is NOT a trainer aircraft. It's probably not a great choice for a first real-life aircraft. Or your return to R/C from long ago if that's the situation.

IMHO, the most important "use" of the sim is to train your eyes & thumbs to recognize and respond almost automatically to what the plane is actually doing in the air - especially when it's a bit far away. If you have to stop and think about what's happening, it's too late. And in real-life, there's no reset button.
Yup, all true! The other "handicap" I overcome in the rc world is that I also hold a private pilot license. Getting used to just using my fingers rather than arms, hands, legs, and feet take some getting used to... :)

The other "handicap" I overcome in the rc world is that I also hold a private pilot license.
IMHO, that's a bigger handicap than most of us understand. In the 60's I had dreams of getting my license - especially in sailplanes. I've ALWAYS taken every opportunity that comes my way to fly - which doesn't happen much anymore. I never even soloed. But I find it amazing how much flying is a totally immersive experience - nearly all of which is missing with RC. I've been amazed by how much flying is a total body/mind experience. Logic says that being a "real" pilot should make RC easy because you know how everything should work. But it doesn't, I think because 90% of the experience is missing.
P.S. I just thought of what's maybe a better way to say what I was trying to say above. Being a "real" pilot doesn't help much because with RC, there's no feedback from the aircraft. When I took a sailplane flight in Colorado a year or so ago, I realized that I didn't even have to look at the airspeed indicator much at all. I could hear the airspeed, and feel it in the stick. That doesn't happen with the transmitter.

Last edited:
IMHO, that's a bigger handicap than most of us understand. In the 60's I had dreams of getting my license - especially in sailplanes. I've ALWAYS taken every opportunity that comes my way to fly - which doesn't happen much anymore. I never even soloed. But I find it amazing how much flying is a totally immersive experience - nearly all of which is missing with RC. I've been amazed by how much flying is a total body/mind experience. Logic says that being a "real" pilot should make RC easy because you know how everything should work. But it doesn't, I think because 90% of the experience is missing.
P.S. I just thought of what's maybe a better way to say what I was trying to say above. Being a "real" pilot doesn't help much because with RC, there's no feedback from the aircraft. When I took a sailplane flight in Colorado a year or so ago, I realized that I didn't even have to look at the airspeed indicator much at all. I could hear the airspeed, and feel it in the stick. That doesn't happen with the transmitter.
I could not have said it better myself! That is 100% correct. You become one with the plane you are flying and it becomes an extension of yourself. You move the plane based on muscle memory and reactions due to 360° stimulus. Flying a pc sim or an rc craft simply jsn't the same experience. And that is why I want to get the rf Sim so I can practice, practice, practice... Build up the muscle memory in my hands so I can instinctively crab the rc craft if need be.

Back