V-22 Osprey Thread

I have done some more tweaking and this is Mk9.I have upped the rates on all surfaces and added the dual rate switch.I have also changed some of the hierachy of the model so if the tail surface comes off the corresponding thruster will also detach making for a more realistic model when damaged.I have added brakes to the down elevator stick also.Please try this version and leave feedback .Hopefully this will be the last test version as i dont think there is much more i can do with it now.

Attachments

• V-22 Osprey Mk9_AV.RFX
    36.1 KB · Views: 22
opjose said:
That would be interesting, difficult, and more realistic!

I'd love to have a shot at it, but I would be unable to work on it until mid July.
I will have to do a few things to the 3d model first but i would be more than happy for you to have a go at it.It would certainly make for a more realistic model.

I like the Mk 9 very much! It flies great. I like the increased control throws and I really, really like the D/R! :D

I think this is the best version so far without a doubt.

Reduce blade length

I tried several V-22 Osprey's from this thread and found that it did not matter which one I used as long as I changed the length of the blades. I would like to give Thanks to: inky00 & DirtyHarry for all the thought and brain cells used to bring this plane back into REALFLIGHT. They took it away from users above RF3. I am glad to have it back in my G4 hanger.
Thank You All, Don

I am using "DirtyHarry 3033" MK6 signal Modification.
I changed the blades to "40" from the original "55" inch length.
With this change I am getting top speeds of:
109 mph w/gear down
135 - 142 mph with gear retracted. :)
This plane Rocks the Meadow.

Last edited:
FANTASTIC JOB ON THE "V" !

Inky, you have done an outstanding job recreating the 'Osprey' for RF. I don't know much about creating the models or setting flight dynamics, but I do know the V-22 after spending the past 10 years with Bell flight testing them.

I have loaded the Mk-6 version and other than tweeking some of the flight controls, have enjoyed it right out of the box. The graphics and physical form is right on, and other than a few minor details, looks like the real thing in a fly-by!!

Some small detail changes I might suggest would be;
Reverse the rotor direction since they turn toward the fuselage at the bottom of the arcs (CCW on rt, CW on lt looking from front).
The bottom of the crew door is working great, however the upper door actually slide up and into the fuselage along the roof;
Is there a way to flip the rotors over so that the cone effect is upward?

As for the flight characteristics...it seems somewhat under powered. The real V will litterally throw you out of your seat when accellerating in fwd flight. It's also very unstable in hover...is there a way to stablize it? I would like to pass on to others flying your model, that the real V requires you to slow the forward speed significantly prior to rotating the nacelles up, and increasing power as it converts into helo mode. I have been able to make conversions very accurately by flying yours the same way.

You have done a fantastic job with this!! After all, the real V has three full time flight control computers working to make it fly...I am amazed at what you have accomplished. Keep up the great work, and I look forward to flying the newer versions. I would be glad to provide any detail information if it would help.

sterlingbaydave said:
Some small detail changes I might suggest would be;
Reverse the rotor direction since they turn toward the fuselage at the bottom of the arcs (CCW on rt, CW on lt looking from front).
The bottom of the crew door is working great, however the upper door actually slide up and into the fuselage along the roof;
Is there a way to flip the rotors over so that the cone effect is upward?

As for the flight characteristics...it seems somewhat under powered. The real V will litterally throw you out of your seat when accellerating in fwd flight. It's also very unstable in hover...is there a way to stablize it? I would like to pass on to others flying your model, that the real V requires you to slow the forward speed significantly prior to rotating the nacelles up, and increasing power as it converts into helo mode. I have been able to make conversions very accurately by flying yours the same way.
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the suggestions and i am glad you like it.On your advice i have now changed the top crew door to open as specified and have also changed the rotation of the rotors aswell as giving it a little more power.I am afraid that its about as stable as i can get it in hover mode as it has 3 gyros controlling it but i will keep trying to tweak it.The coning of the rotors is determined by RF so cannot be changed as far as i know but i am currently working on a version with real heli mechanics so it may be possible with that one.Thanks again for all your advice and if there is anything else you want to add,please feel free.Try this version and see what you think.

Attachments

• V-22 Osprey_EA.RFX
    6.7 MB · Views: 56
Inky,
The doors are great! That's exactly how they operated. I also noted with the Mk9 version you added steps to the lower door...perfect. I hate to make suggested changes to your work, since I know absolutely nothing about modeling here, and what you have is fantastic...however I do have a couple of other notations;

The "V" was designed as a 'helicopter' with wings and a tail, believe it or not, instead of an airplane that can hover. As such, the pilot sat on the right side, copilot on the left, and would probablly never be flown by a single pilot. Can you put another jockey in the right seat? (And speaking of interiors...you have captured the cabin perfectly, right down to the yellow cargo stripes and seat belts...amaizing work).

The rotors spin correctly now, however the real craft had an interconnecting gearbox to allow it to fly with one engine failed. As a result, the rotors were syncronus with the blades matching positions (tip-to-tip)...is there anyway to sycronize the blades? (When they are spinning, you can't tell anyway so no big deal if you cant).

Can you send me a message or e-mail me at sterlingbaydave@hotmail.com...I would like to send some photos of the Air Force Special Ops paint scheme to see if you could create it?

Again...fantastic aircraft and keep up the great effort...this is by far the best RF model I have!! I will look for more of your designs

sterlingbaydave said:
Inky,
The doors are great! That's exactly how they operated. I also noted with the Mk9 version you added steps to the lower door...perfect. I hate to make suggested changes to your work, since I know absolutely nothing about modeling here, and what you have is fantastic...however I do have a couple of other notations;

The "V" was designed as a 'helicopter' with wings and a tail, believe it or not, instead of an airplane that can hover. As such, the pilot sat on the right side, copilot on the left, and would probablly never be flown by a single pilot. Can you put another jockey in the right seat? (And speaking of interiors...you have captured the cabin perfectly, right down to the yellow cargo stripes and seat belts...amaizing work).

The rotors spin correctly now, however the real craft had an interconnecting gearbox to allow it to fly with one engine failed. As a result, the rotors were syncronus with the blades matching positions (tip-to-tip)...is there anyway to sycronize the blades? (When they are spinning, you can't tell anyway so no big deal if you cant).

Can you send me a message or e-mail me at sterlingbaydave@hotmail.com...I would like to send some photos of the Air Force Special Ops paint scheme to see if you could create it?

Again...fantastic aircraft and keep up the great effort...this is by far the best RF model I have!! I will look for more of your designs
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the tip about the pilot,after some poly juggling i was able to add the other pilot.Unfortunately there is no way that i know of to sync to rotors so it will have to stay as is.I will pm you with my email address so you can send me those pics and i will see what i can do.

Crashing V-22

Please don't take this as criticism because I love the work you have done... when the heli/plane crashes it is pretty unspectacular.... I would love to see lots more pieces... and some really serious gouging action from those props. Far too late in this development, but it would be cool.

Can anyone answer the question about rolling this aircraft, does the real thing really roll so quickly?

Great work... showed it to the guys at the field a couple of nights ago.

V-22 aerobatics?

To answer questions regarding the rolls and loops you can perform with the RF V-22...No, the real aircraft does not roll as rapidly as the model. The real aircraft will roll, and was performed by one of the flight test pilots at Naval Flight Test Center in Maryland. The aircraft looses a lot of altitude during this maneuver though. During my time with the program, the aircraft had not performed a loop, nor does it "auto-rotate". This model is a fantastic stretch of the RC modeling envelope, and I'm sure Inky has spent a considerable amount of time developing it.

Just to let everyone know the V-22 Osprey is now on the swap pages.
Thanks to everyone who helped along the way with advice and suggestions.I hope it lives up to expectation because i know alot of people have wanted the Osprey for awhile now and its now finally here.Please feel free to leave comments in this thread if you so wish.

Thanx a LOT!!!

The Osprey is my new Favorite Aircraft! Really appreciate it!

Are there any differences between the last version posted in this thread and the one on the swaps?

K.E. has been pretty silent for a while about their version...

Donald T

DonaldT said:
The Osprey is my new Favorite Aircraft! Really appreciate it!

Are there any differences between the last version posted in this thread and the one on the swaps?

K.E. has been pretty silent for a while about their version...

Donald T
Hi Donald,
The version on the swap pages is the final version where as the last one posted in this thread is a development version so there are several differences.

Thank you for your efforts again.

One difference I seem to see between the Mk 9 and 10... even when I slow to 30 knots, there is a strong tendency to "balloon" in altitude as the wing angle gets more than twenty percent toward vertical. Before I was able to transition between forward flight and hover while pretty much staying on a steady glide-slope.

I usually am holding some up elevator to slow down in airplane mode, then attempt to put down "cyclic" while transitioning to hover... any piloting tips???

Donald T.

I'm trying to make a CS for the V-22 but when I try to save as the _n.tga
....there is none!!! .......just a _n.dds ????? whats a _n.dds?
wheres the _n.tga?
the _n.tga that was generated when I "Saved As" for the new CS is just blank????

Attachments

• ScreenShot1198.jpg
    ScreenShot1198.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Maj. Numbskully said:
I'm trying to make a CS for the V-22 but when I try to save as the _n.tga
....there is none!!! .......just a _n.dds ????? whats a _n.dds?
wheres the _n.tga?
the _n.tga that was generated when I "Saved As" for the new CS is just blank????
the _n.dds is the normal map which is what RF uses,you dont need to mess with the _n.TGA anyway as its only for the panel lines and rivet detail.You need the ordinary TGA file to change the CS.If you look closely at the pic you posted you can see the normal mapping for the panel lines.

I do know that the "classic" .tga is for the normal CS
Its a sure sign of getting older....... maybe I need a eye doctor to check my eyes .... :cool:
LOL....I had to enlarge the _n.tga and strain my eyes to see the lines on the normals(_n.tga)but I see them now :eek:
thanks inky00 ! :D

Last edited:
Here is my new Scheme for the V-22
U.S. Coast Guard V-22 Osprey
Fictitious #420
"Drug \Illegal Alien Interdiction" :p
w\ Marijuana , Heroin , Illegal Alien "Victory Graphics" :D
......Please Rate
EDIT: the CS has been "updated" (see post #65 below!!)

Attachments

• ScreenShot1247759749.jpg
    ScreenShot1247759749.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 20
  • ScreenShot1247758323.jpg
    ScreenShot1247758323.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Maj. Numbskully said:
Here is my new Scheme for the V-22
U.S. Coast Guard V-22 Osprey
Fictitious #420
"Drug \Illegal Alien Interdiction" :p
w\ Marijuana , Heroin , Illegal Alien "Victory Graphics" :D
......Please Rate
https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?resources/10171 :D
Not bad but you have lost alot of the panel lines and rivet detail of the original.Here is the PSD file for the V-22 with everything layed out in seperate layers.I hope it helps any CS'ers that were planning on making new schemes.I have zipped it up and had to add the .rfx suffix to allow upload to the forum.Once downloaded simply rename the file removing the .rfx suffix and then unzip it.

Attachments

• V-22 Osprey Texture.zip.rfx
    16.7 MB · Views: 23
Back