westell 6100 modem in bridge mode

wolffer

will running verison westell 6100 dsl modem in bridge mode open up all the ports so ports can be forwarded by a router. trying to help my father over the phone to get his connection set up right.

If the modem does NAT (which it must, or else you wouldn't be asking), you may be better off assigning a static IP for the router outside of the address pool of the modem. Also, turn off NAT on the router, and let the modem assign the addresses.

I haven't looked at this in while, but I think if the modem is in bridge mode, then all the NAT/forwarding etc. is handled by the router. (ie the modem is really just a modem and can be pretty much ignored.)

Be careful if you are going to switch in or out of bridge mode yourself. In some areas Verizon does "mac address filtering" and you may loose access for a while if you change the mac address of the device that is visible to them. There are tricks like cloning mac addresses or you can just wait for the DNS lease to expire.

he has the router for his wireless laptop and he also has a desk top. right now his ports are forwarded in the router but the ports are being blocked by the modem and verison is no help in any way. he lives far away from me so I have to work with him over the phone. would running it in bridge mode turn off the router in the modem so port forwarding could be handled by the router?

Not so easy over the phone, is it? ;) Theoretically, it should work. I haven't tried it since my G2 days. I used to have a NAT modem, so I bridged it. Portforwarding did not work for me then, but UPnP did. It may have been my hardware, I don't know.

One more point along Orion's post: if you try bridged mode, make sure that you know how to get out of bridged mode, should you change your mind. Sometimes it's a bit tricky.

no not so easy over the phone but verison has step by step instructions with pictures and was able to walk my dad through it .he got a headache doing it so will see if it works for realflight later but he still has internet so it cant be to bad yet.

Back