What controls a wings stall?

Benz

Hi guys, I have an aircraft editing question for RF 7.0...

I want to improve my 3D flying, so am wanting to practice flying in high alpha/harrier with the physics at 150% to sharpen my reflexes and to make it more realistic. With the physics that high, all the planes I choose will drop a wing when in a stalled state much quicker and more often than the planes I fly in real life (eg: the Yak-54 3D) so was wondering can I reduce that by altering the physics settings somewhere?

I tried to work out myself what parameters would affect that aspect of an aircraft, the best I could do was: in the Aircraft Editor under “Airframe -> Main Wing” and “Airframe -> Fuselage” they all had “post stall moment factor”, “snap roll boost factor” and “stall severity” at 100 but reducing them all, even to 0, didn’t seem to have an effect on the wing dropping once stalled so I am obviously not looking in the right place.

Does anyone where I need to look to change this characteristic of an airframe? The wings drop too fast on many planes so its something I would like to be able to adjust.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ben.

Hi guys, I have an aircraft editing question for RF 7.0...

I want to improve my 3D flying, so am wanting to practice flying in high alpha/harrier with the physics at 150% to sharpen my reflexes and to make it more realistic. With the physics that high, all the planes I choose will drop a wing when in a stalled state much quicker and more often than the planes I fly in real life (eg: the Yak-54 3D) so was wondering can I reduce that by altering the physics settings somewhere?

I tried to work out myself what parameters would affect that aspect of an aircraft, the best I could do was: in the Aircraft Editor under “Airframe -> Main Wing” and “Airframe -> Fuselage” they all had “post stall moment factor”, “snap roll boost factor” and “stall severity” at 100 but reducing them all, even to 0, didn’t seem to have an effect on the wing dropping once stalled so I am obviously not looking in the right place.

Does anyone where I need to look to change this characteristic of an airframe? The wings drop too fast on many planes so its something I would like to be able to adjust.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ben.

Try the physics at 100% not 150%, that is the problem. 150% means the physics run 1.5 times faster than in real life, not "better" or "realistic".

Thanks for the replies!

Legoman I have flown with the physics at 100% but a lot of the time it feels like I am flying in slow motion. I try to run a higher physics so the planes react at the speed of my real planes eg: Carbon Z Yak-54.

Thanks BrokeDad but it happens whether it is a balsa flat plate on a Twisted Hobbys foamy or a "proper" airfoil on an edge or extra.

Surely there is a parameter of every aircraft in Realflight where the stalled behaviour is determined?

Legoman I have flown with the physics at 100% but a lot of the time it feels like I am flying in slow motion. I try to run a higher physics so the planes react at the speed of my real planes eg: Carbon Z Yak-54.

The Yak-54 in RF is a lot larger than the Carbon Z Yak. Smaller models tend to fly faster (in proportion to wingspan) than larger ones as well as being more/over responsive.

Surely there is a parameter of every aircraft in Realflight where the stalled behaviour is determined?

Stall behavior is detriment by many factors. Including wing shape, A.O.A., wing loading, airfoil, CG plus the parameters listed in your first question.

Try a different aircraft that is closer to your aircraft's size as the characteristics you are describing are more determined by the size of the model than by the shape. eg Electrifly Edge 540T or AJ Slick (51 inch)

...Stall behavior is detriment by many factors. Including wing shape, A.O.A., wing loading, airfoil, CG plus the parameters listed in your first question.

Try a different aircraft that is closer to your aircraft's size as the characteristics you are describing are more determined by the size of the model than by the shape. eg Electrifly Edge 540T or AJ Slick (51 inch)

Thanks again legoman.

I have tried the smaller planes as well but they all do it. Maybe the plane I fly the most IRL (Twisted Hobbys 32" MXS-C) is just freakishly stable in high alpha. Anyways, thanks again for the info, it is appreciated.

have you tried reducing the Wing Lift % ?

assuming the increase in stall speed doesnt bother you (maybe it will help if youre trying to maker things "more difficult" on purpose) maybe when "she goes" she'll go "harder" with reduced lift.

Are you familiar with the Swap Pages?
If Not, check out this link: https://forums.realflight.com/showpost.php?p=268154&postcount=4

There are a number of CarbonZ Yak54's in the swap pages.
You can get there, from the blue bar near the top of the page.
Swap Page, Search: "carbonz" will bring up a few. There's an EA. You will need to load first, if you want the corresponding AV's.
There is the, "Yak54 CarbonZ 3D Edit_AV". Tuned For RF 7.5. (I fly these in RF 7.5)
It may or may not fly like yours. But if your looking to tune it yourself in the editor, It should be a good starting point, spec wise.
Other Swap Page searches will bring up a BUNCH of Yaks, depending on search words used. Yak, Yak54, Yak 54, etc.
Note: Advanced search can also help you narrow down a search.
Hope this helps

Back