What do you think of G3.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like it alot just DL the upgrade tonight. Great!!!! many new features works well,
just waiting for some online flying so i can see what the collisions are like. No one seems to be hosting any sessions yet :( . Thank you Knife Edge for this amazing
new version so far everything is working just fine. I still have lots to try.
Skiman <><

Great update!
I love to finally have koax helis, though the Helimax Koax is a little to easy to fly. Also the new Helimax CP is a neat little copter. Of the new planes, I like the Extra the most and it's nice to have official V-Pitch support now (htough I'm not too much into this at the moment).
The new Waco and alpine photofields are great additions - especially with the 3D grass. Night flying is also a very cool feature indeed.
Then again, most of my favorite planes (mostly custom) behave a little strange, which was to be expected. Generally I have the impression, that planes feel lighter, roll faster and all the control surfaces seem to have a greater impact then before. Which is good for some planes, but makes others a little too "nervous".
Also wind speed and air speed are still in different units if you chose metrical units. Didn't check if the conversion is correct now. Hope so though.
Anyway, the new airports night flying and the addition of Koax helis alone make me a very happy customer. Can't wait to finally get an ESky Lama model :)

This is Bad ***, when you drag a wing tip on the grass DIRT kicks up :eek:
kudos to knife edge...

Been trying it out for a little while now... WOW!! Thank you so much for the update! Both the heli training and the airplane hovering training (bottom in) are going to help me out so much. I see myself using these A LOT and I can only hope you come up with many more ideas like this in the future (3D and/or IMAC trainers).

This is a VERY cool update and I'm glad to see it's included for prior 3.0 buyers. I really felt like G3 paid for itself in what I've gotten out of it so far, but this really puts the icing on the cake and will ensure I upgrade to future (paid) products.

The new Alpine photo field is going to be my new favorite spot. Very easy on the eyes and I feel like I can spend extended sessions there with the new training modules.

Thanks again!

Initial thoughts:

The planes are too strong... including the props. The Ultra Sport can slide around with the gear up and is way too hard to break. I haven't played with too many other planes yet.

I did notice a nasty error that caused a video lockup and a system crash (2000 server). I was at a night field looking to see which planes have lights (why none on any of the add-ons, btw???) and I went through the whole list. I was about to try the yak to see how it flew at night and decited to switch from the G3.5 list to the yak in the custom list. Blue screen of death was instant... obviously a video problem switching to a pre-3.5 edit at the night field (or perhaps just from the new one to the old one... haven't had time to test).

The wind/weather settings seem to have a slightly lower effect. What are realistic settings for therms., turb., etc. in 3.5?

download 3.5

is there anyway to download 3.5 without the launcher? maybe like the heli update was downloaded?
i have dial up at home but could jump on a T1 at work and put it on cd?

taking computer to work not an option

Love it! Flight characteristics are a lot better. It accually feels like there is a "mass" to the planes now. Thanks KE!

A number of the planes I flew seem a lot floatier... especially when landing. Perhaps it is the airspeed... seems to bleed very slowly.

Last edited:
modelflyer said:
is there anyway to download 3.5 without the launcher? maybe like the heli update was downloaded?
i have dial up at home but could jump on a T1 at work and put it on cd?

taking computer to work not an option
Other delivery options will be available when 3.5 is released to the public, but the public beta will be available only via the Launcher.

love it so far. a coupl of problems ive encountered is with the dominion. when you hit thottle hold the ebngine still sounds like its in normal mode. and when i do right rudder on the dominon i get this eraddict tail shake back and forth as if the gain on the gyro is too high but it only does it going to the right. i push left while doing that and its fine again. also had a G3 crash while online with some one else.

ok my bad it does it with my edit of the dominion all i had done was put a 91 SZ in it and ightened the paddles. then i tried to switch to the Dalton 260 and G3 froze on me hmm let me go try that again

ok yes i have just replicated the freeze again with the dalton 260 at the night field the meadow one with the hill at top

Great update. Give me a week to sort it out! I also need a week off work now!

Yeah the plane engines are a bit stronger now, but not so much that it would require a big tweak.... reduce the engine percentage if needed.

Re: Floatier...

I don't find it necessarily "floatier". The last two versions did not give the tails enough "moments", so the planes would nose down too fast.

This caused some unrealistic characteristics in some or many models. e.g. chop the throttle and almost no level glide.

This seems to have been corrected and many of the edited planes have gone from good to GREAT as a result.

Some planes may seem a bit floatier because of the change though, but thus far I've found this to be more in keeping with the actual plane characterisitcs.

Gawd my Nitroplanes/World Models Ultimate 40S's edits are now indicernable from the real things.

Who knew streamers would be so much fun in a sim.

The dual rotor heli is good, but IMHO too stable compared to my Blade CX.

It appears that this is easy to fix though and even the blades crashing into each other in a dive can be reproduced via the physics editor.

Great stuff.

Now that it's "officially" public beta @ KE, my take; modify your torque settings so favorite planes torque-roll like they used to!

Charles

Hmm... I'm noticing the biggest problems landing jets. A plane with a wing loading over 60 should not have trouble slowing down and settling in and nose up with full flaps. At idle it should fall out of the sky like a rock, but many just keep flying. Maybe it is just higher engine thrust, but it feels like more than just that. Was air friction lowered?

Oh man, the heli hover trainer is brutal. The whole "exploding into hundreds of pieces" if you get out of bounds is great. Also, love the "random" orientation. Very nice. I plan to make good use of it.

G3.5 plane damage

Looks good so far except it seems to be harder to damage planes. Hard landings and even crashes dont seem to do any damage.... to the point of being a bit unrealistic... is it just my observation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back