What is the best plane designer program to create G4.5 planes with?

dansmark-PA-260

I want to design some planes I have that are not in Realflight.
What is the best software to design planes with? (do the modeling)

I'm an AutoCAD user of 17 years.
I can also use Inventor.

Yes and no.

3DSmax has a plug-in that will allow it to import the MSQ format, however, that just gets you the basic 3D model. The UVW mapping will still have to be redone and all of the parts renamed to conform to RF's requirements. I also don't remember for sure if the linking and pivots translate through the process, but I think not.

Then you also have to deal with the poly limit in RF, as FMS does not have the same restrictions. So the bottom line is Yes an MSQ file can be converted, but No it's often not worth the effort. Easier to start fresh.

Now I have used an MSQ file as a template to create my own 3D model, when I couldn't find good design drawings.

The best 3D-Program to use for Realflight is definetly blender :) It's free and together with the 3ds2kex - export script and GIMP you don't have to spend a single dollar to create aircrafts for G3.5/G4.5. No 3dsmax, Deep Exploration or anthing else needed. Only blender , the-script , the 3ds2kex - converter and GIMP.

There are no benefits from taking DE instead of blender since the script was written, so if you now want to start with wings3d and jump after modelling for UVW-Mapping to the next program and than for Pivot - Definition to the next, simply take blender. It can modelling, mapping and pivots all together, and the script even creates the .kex - file for you :)

Greets,

Max

Last edited:
maxkop said:
The best 3D-Program to use for Realflight is definetly blender :) It's free and together with the 3ds2kex - export script and GIMP you don't have to spend a single dollar to create aircrafts for G3.5/G4.5. No 3dsmax, Deep Exploration or anthing else needed. Only blender , the-script , the 3ds2kex - converter and GIMP.

There are no benefits from taking DE instead of blender since the script was written, so if you now want to start with wings3d and jump after modelling for UVW-Mapping to the next program and than for Pivot - Definition to the next, simply take blender. It can modelling, mapping and pivots all together, and the script even creates the .kex - file for you :)

Greets,

Max

Thanks, I've downloaded blender already, but not the converter and Gimp.
I'll get them now...

I am new and would like to create models. Do most people seem to prefer wings 3d or blender for the free programs?- thanks

Well I would say most of the people here are using Wings3D in combination with Deep Exploration and the 3ds2kex - exporter. This includes much more manual editing than the alternative with blender and the 3ds2kex - script, which really speeds up the import/export process.

Blender and the script are free, but you would have to spend money on DE.

Wings3D is much more easier to learn than blender, that's simply the truth :) But will definetly cost you more time at the end to get your model into Realflight.

Blender's UI is much more complex/dynamic and for a 3D - Beginner much more difficult to handle, but also much more advanced than Wings3D. Wings3D is more a modelling, less a UV-mapping tool, while Blender can modelling, mapping, rendering and animation.

There are a lot posts about which software can be used to create models for Realflight. A good point to start would be this here and especially the search function of this forum....

Maxkop, that is great. The idea of actually creating and flying the model is very interesting. I have spent hours experimenting with the vehicle physics on G 4.5.
It sounds like a very time consuming process to develop and get a model flight ready.

I guess that I'll start with Wings 3d. Exactly what else do I need to complete the model and is it all free? -thanks

I wonder what would happen if I modeled it in wings and then used blender to get it into a realflight format?

jeffpn said:
You think the readme is confusing? Try the software!!! If you figure it out, let me know. :eek:

I just realized that someone said that I can go from wings to blender. Now, if I could just find the right button to start making something.... :confused:

I've only been messing around with Wings 3D for a month now, but I'm feeling fairly confident with it, The next steps I have not yet taken.

I figured out how to kind of move parts in the right direction half of the time. :cool: But everything is already where I want it so that doesn't help. :(

all of them

jeffpn said:
You think the readme is confusing? Try the software!!! If you figure it out, let me know. :eek:
they are all very confusing to me. i done quite well in wings 3d. making my plane anyway. then i was lost. im trying to learn 3dsmax right now.....and i dont find it any easier than blender. my opinion: wings 3d is the easiest to learn and model with. then after you make a model.....your stuck!!!! im going to call it quits myself......let someone else do the hardwork......i will download and fly them. to me its just worth the headaches of learning 5 programs to make a simple plane fly in rf. and i also like x-plane better than rf. so much more realistic. i can fly models....so why do i really need a simulator anyway? :D

Ed, I'm working on a Cessna 150. Are you any good at editing the physics in RF? If you're interested, when it's modeled and I figure out pivots and mapping, you can do the physics. That's all done in RF. I got someone who'll do the CS. But I do agree with you. There's just a ton of stuff to do to get one model into RF.

Back