What is the difference between rf8 versions

Cadmandu

Hi all
I have the Hobbico version of RF8 and the interlink X .
I hear people talking about the Horizon hobby version. What is the difference?
When I registered and updated rf8 yesterday what site was I on. Can you update and register the interlink X as well.
I was messing around with the trim setting on the kadet and need to get them back to no trim. How can I see what they are set at?
Thsnks

AFAIK, the biggest difference is when it was purchased. I bought RF8 before HH bought RF from KnifeEdge. I'm missing a few HH aircraft that aren't built into the pre-HH version. And I think I may have a couple aircraft that didn't make it into the HH version for licensing reasons. I'm not sure about the exact details because I didn't choose to re-purchase the HH edition. My RF8 purchase from Tower was not a free upgrade to the HH version. The InterLink-X does not need to be registered. It just works. In earlier versions of RF, the controller was part of the anti-piracy protection & the serial number had to be entered as part of the installation/registration process.

Ditto on Bill's notes. I too am running RF8 from Hobbico, although I now also have Evo installed. Not enough change in planes/fields to update back then, or to RF9. And even now, still a bit underwhelmed by Evo (but with the move to DX11, that may change in the future). But at least Evo is now a bit like my garage - lots and lots of planes I rarely ever fly!

Easiest for trims, on my Interlink X, is to open the on screen controller gadget, which shows the trim lever positions, and highlights them when centered.

Not enough change in planes/fields to update back then, or to RF9.
Yep. I tend to upgrade every 2nd version or so. I've run 2,3,5,7,&8. RF8 was sort-of unintentional. I bought s/w only RF-X but my PC couldn't handle it and I wasn't willing to spend $500+ for a video card that would work. Tower let me return X & replace it with 8 w/ controller for a few extra bucks. I bought it mostly for the new X controller. I'll probably buy Evo after the DX11 version is finalized, but I'll probably skip the DX controller.

Last edited:
Thanks guys that she'd a whole new light on my confusion. So when I upgraded and registered my rf8 from hobbico thru the launcher was I on a rf site or HH site?

Who knows who is running the server? But I am sure HH is paying the cost of keeping it going. There was mention that someday the registration server for old products might be taken down, but hasn't happened yet, so good you got it going.

Not that I'm aware of. This IS what used to be the KE forum, simply renamed & I assume moved. AFAIK, the only thing missing is RF-X support. Some of the people you see here are KE people, too.

I can speak to some of this stuff in my official capacity.

Re: Differences between RF8 and RF8 Horizon Hobby Edition, primarily the latter added a lot of content from Horizon brands that became available for the first time after Horizon Hobby began publishing RealFlight. Users who already owned RF8 could optionally purchase the HHE Add-On which would upgrade the earlier version to the Horizon Hobby Edition. You can find more details here.

Re: Trim, whether RealFlight stores the values between sessions depends on whether the vehicle is stock content or a custom edit. You can never permanently modify stock content, so trim changes made during a session will be discarded when you exit. In contrast, if you're flying a custom variant (that includes EAs and AVs from the swap pages as well as any variants you have saved yourself using RealFlight's built-in aircraft editor or the Quick Edit feature), your trim changes will automatically be saved as part of that vehicle and will persist between sessions.

The radio gadget provides visual indicators for the current trim positions for each channel. Any trim that is not centered will be colored red to make it obvious. (@Flapper got this backwards as far as when they are colored, but the principle is the same. :))

As @Bill Stuntz said, starting with RF8 the controller was not part of the registration process.

Everything you interact with for RealFlight is part of Horizon Hobby now. That includes all the servers that the software talks to and these forums. So, rest assured your software is registered with HH, and online updates that you download come from us.

RF-X is the only exception, and a little bit of a gray area. HH did not acquire RF-X from KE. We do not own the source code or the rights to it in any way. However, as a courtesy, per agreement with KE we are providing registration, online update, and activation services for it.

When Horizon purchased RealFlight from Knife Edge, most of the team moved over to HH to continue working on RF. KE is still around. We're still friends with those people and see them socially sometimes. They're working on other things. They do not have their own forums, nor do any of them post here on ours.

Thanks Ryan
I'm glad I asked this question. I've learned alot about what has happened. When I look at my left gimbal in the controller graphic it is red and at 10:00 o'clock. Does that mean I need to do a recalibration ?

Back