what size monitor

spyshot

my grandfather has g5.5 and is saying that he wants to get a bigger monitor because he is having trouble seeing the plane when it gets really far away. his computer is not that old, running windows 7 with an hp w2007, 20" monitor. which i belive has a resolution of 1680x1050.

my question is this...if we get a bigger monitor like a 25" with 1080 resolution, will that help him? will the program fill the screen making everything on the screen bigger?

thanks for your input!
adam

Just like a bigger tv, a bigger monitor may be easier to see. Make sure you leave resolution the same, to make everything bigger compared to the old monitor.

Resolution and screen size are completely different things... although the latter can sometimes affect the former.

If you have a more modern flat screen TV, you could hook up your computer to your TV via an HDMI or HDMI converter cable and see Realflight in all it's glory at almost natural real sizes.

It is something to be seen this way!

Resolution is the pixel density.

The higher the resolution the more pixels your video card has to push, the more video and texture memory is required and the better your GPU should be.

1080p TV's have an effective resolution of 1920x1080 pixels, which requires a GOOD video card to push that.

Now G4/G5 will use whatever "windowed" resolution or "full screen" resolution you set. So you could conceivably run a 50" display at 800x600 if you were so inclined.

However if your card is up to snuff, G5 will run just fine at 1080p resolution.

More often than not, computer users do not realize or recognize that there is a need for a powerful graphics processor to handle the large amount of data a high resolution 3D image uses and moves.

So, ultimately it boils down to what video card you have along with the computer to drive it, that determines your best RESOLUTION... but your screen size is a completely different matter.

Size is what he's after. He needs to keep his resolution the same to enjoy a bigger picture on a bigger monitor. And yes, it will fill the whole screen.

jeffpn said:
Size is what he's after. He needs to keep his resolution the same to enjoy a bigger picture on a bigger monitor. And yes, it will fill the whole screen.

Heh.... that was a rhetorical expose'. :D

Size doesn't matter, just ask a woman. Although they are know to shade the truth a bit :D

Part of the problem is while you are getting started flying, it is difficult to keep the plane close enough to see clearly... this will improve with time. You could pick a larger aircraft to fly, but it needs to be a trainer if your goal is to fly real aircraft. One of the main problems that I have with student pilots is letting the aircraft get way out there... so the problem is the same in the simulator and the real field.

It is also possible to enlarge an aircraft by a given percentage in the airplane editor. You need to adjust the physics, so this is better left to a more experienced user of Real Flight.

Good Luck...

Last edited:
12oclockhigh said:
One of the main problems that I have with student pilots is letting the aircraft get way out there... so the problem is the same in the simulator and the real field.

:D That seems to be universal.

I find myself constantly telling them to "bring it in closer, no closer, no closer still!".

It also makes me nervous trying to help someone out with a big expensive gasser, and not having the plane within easy deadstick distance for the first few flights while wringing out a new motor... "come on, bring it in, no take it HIGHER but closer..., no closer!".

:D

Yep, you are singing the same song... it seems that when ever things go bad you have to mount a safari to recover the plane from the peat bogs of middle Maryland. It takes a while to realize, you can have just as much fun in close and the chance of losing the plane diminishes.

So I am very sure this is what is happening to the OP... no amount of magnification is going to help except to learn how to fly. Sad but true, you can't do this unless you know how and you can't learn how unless you already know how.

That is why I started laughing when I read the thread... you can't fix the problem with a better bigger monitor... though I like flying the sim on a 24" screen... I do like flying the real 1/4 scale planes because they are bigger. I fly them in close... not a problem to see. Fortunately the problem should go away with more hours flying... give it a couple of months and every time it gets away from you, remember it did not cost as much as a real one.

opjose said:
:D That seems to be universal.

I find myself constantly telling them to "bring it in closer, no closer, no closer still!".

It also makes me nervous trying to help someone out with a big expensive gasser, and not having the plane within easy deadstick distance for the first few flights while wringing out a new motor... "come on, bring it in, no take it HIGHER but closer..., no closer!".

:D

Last edited:
Moving the existing monitor closer would be a cheaper option. ;)

But everything said about the real planes is true. He needs to learn to not put em out there where he can't see em. It's all part of the RC learning curve.

If you have a PC with an HDMI out, I recommend an HDTV, not a monitor (if possible $ wise). In my room I use a Philips 32" LCD HDTV with the resolution set at 1920 x 1080 and RealFlight is beyond visually stunning! In my friends case, he is nearly legally blind due to nearsightedness, he can pretty clearly see my screen and is always shocked by the detail that he can see when we fly around on G5.5, that's something to think about.

Must match pixels

A video card is going to only output the number of pixels that it is told to output. If you have a 1920x1080 monitor or TV and your card can only output 800x600 or if RF is set to output 800x600 then you will only see 800 of the 1920 horizontal and 600 of the vertical pixels on your monitor or TV. To put it simply, in this example, RF's output will only take up about 1/4 of the area of the display. If the card and RF were set to 1920x1080 instead then the output would take up all of the screen. Make sure that your computer and video card can output at the resolution of your display. It can be pretty aggravating to invest in an expensive display and then see your application's output confined to the center of the display and surrounded by wide areas of black.

The Virginian said:
you have a 1920x1080 monitor or TV and your card can only output 800x600 or if RF is set to output 800x600 then you will only see 800 of the 1920 horizontal and 600 of the vertical pixels on your monitor or TV. To put it simply, in this example, RF's output will only take up about 1/4 of the area of the display.

That's not correct.

Your monitor or TV will display the full screen size, but at the lowly 800x600 resolution.

If "bars" are appearing then your monitor/TV is introducing them instead of upscaling the video input.... normally a setting can be adjusted to eliminate the bars if you desire.

I think the virginian is getting confused with the same thing that confused me a while back(still does)
I cannot remember if it is the 8600 gt card that I'm now using or
if it was the last ATI card I had
but in it's manual it said "for monitors up to 32'' ".......... said nothing about resolution
just monitor size?.....................don't know why they would state a limitation like that ?
and no before you ask I do not have a 32" or larger monitor to try it out on

I divorced a lawyer a few years back............... you think I have anything left? :rolleyes: :p

Last edited:
Back