What would it cost to commission a model?

ah.clem

I am wondering what it would cost to commission the build of a HobbyKing Swiss J-3 Cub, the EPO 1.4 meter version, for use in RF 9.5S. I would want the same flying physics as the actual model (probably running a 3s 2200 mAh LiPo) as I have purchased one as a re-trainer (I flew sailplanes many years ago, but this is my first powered model) and I'm feeling nervous about flying it as I have no clubs nearby to buddy box the training. I have decided to purchase RealFlight 9.5S and practice with my transmitter. The plane is a simple RETA, no flaps. Thanks for any and all information.

Attachments

• swiss-j3-cub-1400mm-pnf-9306000530-0-3.jpg
    swiss-j3-cub-1400mm-pnf-9306000530-0-3.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 6
while the is not an exact copy of that specific plane. if you can fly the e-flite timber and HobbyZone Carbon Cub without crashing you will likely be fine. they are similar size and flight characteristics. the timber X is very acrobatic and turbo timber seem like they would be too fast

Great, thanks. I had wondered about the Carbon Cub but not being a power flyer I was not familiar with the similarities. I'll practice with them. I'm not doing too badly in Picasim, I'm curious to see how well I do in RF. I'm installing it tonight.

My experience has been that all planes fly using the same aerodynamic principles. Exactly matching the real-life plane in the sim may be less important than you think. As long as the plane you select in the sim is similar to the one you actually want to fly in real life, you should be OK. The hardest thing to learn is recognizing exactly what the plane is doing in the air, and making it do what YOU want rather than what IT wants to do. The RF helps a LOT with that, especially when the plane is flying toward you or gets too far away. The reset button saves a LOT of money when you make the inevitable mistakes. It helps you learn to anticipate, recognize, & correct mistakes. When you can fly reliably & confidently in the sim, you're probably ready to do it in real life. You might want to get comfortable with a higher performance plane in the sim before you risk actually flying the real one. Especially for your early flights, don't even THINK about flying unless conditions are perfect. It's better to pack up & go home than to pick up the pieces. And realize that eventually, you WILL be picking up pieces. The sim can help delay or minimize that.

Good advice, thanks! I'll be home this evening and I'll download the sim. I agree with you, I wasn't planning on flying the new model until I was 100% confident in the sim. I'm fine flying my Radian, but that's a pretty forgiving 2 meter RE sailplane.

If you're fine with your Radian, you'll probably be fine with your Cub. You already know how to interpret what your eyes are seeing. And your thumbs already know how to respond when stuff happens. Things will probably happen faster, but the concepts are unchanged.

Back