whats a better vidio card

rockon4good

i am about to purchace a new computor and i have a choice of a couple different vidio cards does anyone have any experience with these cards

nVidia Gforce 8800 512mb
nVidia Gforce 9800 GT 512 mb
ATI Radeon HD 3870 GDDR4 512 mb
or should i go even bigger or is this over kill

Josh 0987 said:
AFAIK the 8800GT is faster...

Josh, I hate to say this but your card is not the fastest anymore.

Killer that it works for you and it is a great card, people should look higher now.

But for the price, you can't beat it!!!!!

thanks guys .I see i have the option to double up with 2 of these cards.
Im wondering about this now and i must ask,will this make it even better or will it already be as awsome as it gets with one good card.
The rig i have now is just a dell with integrated video as it will run (without any shadows) my other computer is similar in specs but it had a v7100 geforce2 pro mx4oo 32mb. both machines run about the same as far as graghics go.I have to shut everything else off mind you and play the settings down low but i was supprised that there was no difference in the two machines.

tnorton12000 said:
Josh, I hate to say this but your card is not the fastest anymore.

Killer that it works for you and it is a great card, people should look higher now.

But for the price, you can't beat it!!!!!
It's fast enough for me and my dad won't approve buying a new video just because it's the newest and fastest... That's the easiest way to blow your money.. Don't you just hate marketing? When I got my 8800GT it WAS the fastest..

rockon4good said:
Im wondering about this now and i must ask,will this make it even better or will it already be as awsome as it gets with one good card.
The rig i have now is just a dell with integrated video as it will run (without any shadows) my other computer is similar in specs but it had a v7100 geforce2 pro mx4oo 32mb. both machines run about the same as far as graghics go.I have to shut everything else off mind you and play the settings down low but i was supprised that there was no difference in the two machines.

G3.5 requires MINIMUM 128MB of DEDICATED memory (Video card) and 1GB RAM..

Last edited:
rockon4good said:

With your system, one 9800 or 8800 will be plenty for everything you ever dreamed of visually. I fear other components may lack though. But trust it will run and look a lot better. Don't waste the money on the other card.

Josh 0987 said:
It's fast enough for me and my dad won't approve buying a new video just because it's the newest and fastest... That's the easiest way to blow your money.. Don't you just hate marketing? When I got my 8800GT it WAS the fastest..

G3.5 requires MINIMUM 128MB of DEDICATED memory (Video card) and 1GB RAM..

Your logic doesn't really make sense. He doesn't already have an 8800, so why would he be blowing money by getting the superior 9800? And what is the point of saying 8800 WAS fastest at the time....that was then, this is now. My Geforce 4 Ti 4600 WAS the fastest when it came out too. That doesn't mean it will work today.

I have run G3.5 on a computer with specs much lower, you just have to be patient and turn some things off, and it will run awesome.

rockon4good said:

Yup the MX series is an older generation video chipset, more akin to your integrated chipset...

I have a Pentium 2....ondulating modulator with triple triode..non biased bios...astro driver upgrade...flicker stab...stealth glare shield..all for 50 dollars..

lots of thanx to all

U guys are so kind to help out I really had no idea now i know what to do as far as cards go anyway ill try the 9800 as it is included with deal from dell for same $ as the 8800.i figured they both must be good but without asking u guy i was leaning towards the ati raedon one just cause it was a little more $ not much.thanks again guys this is great Mike

Back