When to Turn Final (Perception Problem)

frjeff

New to RF9, flying in Intermediate Mode.
Seem to be making my base to final turn early continually, leaving me off the runway forcing significant adjustments. Obviously do not have the cockpit visuals as when I was flying a real Cherokee 180.
Any tricks I’m missing, or is it just more practice necessary?

I believe that it comes with more time. I started by noticing where the plane was on the horizon when properly lined up with the runway. Now, I can just squeak them in from almost anywhere.

I believe that it comes with more time. I started by noticing where the plane was on the horizon when properly lined up with the runway. Now, I can just squeak them in from almost anywhere.
Just tried that a few times and it seemed to help. Thanks.

It helps if you can establish landmarks in the distance to key in on. This is one area where a sim (any sim) is severely lacking, compared to doing it for real - hard to get the entire field of view on a monitor. When I teach students for real, I have them always:
1. NEVER do 180 degree turn to get to final approach. Break it into 2 90 degree turns, with a short crosswind section. Trying to gauge the radius of a 180 to end in the right spot is near impossible, until you have many, many hours in.
2. On that final turn, line it up so the plane is pointed straight off your shoulder, and it looks like it will hit you in the head. Students always turn too soon on to final approach, and end up way on the other side of the runway.

Of course, with the sim, it is very hard to figure out where your shoulder is! So use a distant object that is directly in line with all the flight stations.

It helps if you can establish landmarks in the distance to key in on. This is one area where a sim (any sim) is severely lacking, compared to doing it for real - hard to get the entire field of view on a monitor. When I teach students for real, I have them always:
1. NEVER do 180 degree turn to get to final approach. Break it into 2 90 degree turns, with a short crosswind section. Trying to gauge the radius of a 180 to end in the right spot is near impossible, until you have many, many hours in.
2. On that final turn, line it up so the plane is pointed straight off your shoulder, and it looks like it will hit you in the head. Students always turn too soon on to final approach, and end up way on the other side of the runway.

Of course, with the sim, it is very hard to figure out where your shoulder is! So use a distant object that is directly in line with all the flight stations.

Excellent tips! Thanks for taking the time to reply. I’ll work on that today (on sim).

If you need to edit the field you are using and add a "depth buffer" object(s) like mentioned above.

I probably should have emphasised - use the flight stations to project out to the horizon to find your landmark. Do NOT use the centerline of the runway. Because of parallax (the viewing angles), it becomes essentially an optical illusion that one appears to be straight, but actually not. By shifting in to be the line upon which you are standing, it all comes much easier. And unless there is a ferocious cross wind, there is a natural tendency to let the airplane drift out from you as you get closer. Never have had a student get even close to hitting us on a flight station. (Well, unless they were really out of control for some other reason....)

All replies appreciated.
I just finished some time on the RF9 sim trying the tips. Man, what a difference! Feeling like I may be making progress.
Still, too much over-controlling and correcting, but getting better at light touch on the gimbles. I also have been going too far on the downwind leg which has led to literally loosing sight of the plane. Turning base far sooner this morning and still have plenty of time to bleed off speed and descend.

What works for me is to do your procedural turn and fly the plane right at you. Use the rudder as you come up on the runway to put yourself where you need to be. Hope that make sense.

That is missing the most important step. Getting on a line with the correct heading for landing. You need to be in the proper place in the sky before "flying right at you".

What works for me is to do your procedural turn and fly the plane right at you. Use the rudder as you come up on the runway to put yourself where you need to be. Hope that make sense.

Back