Why does plane distruct at 450 mph?

kerrylaw

I have edited several planes to get them to go faster, but once they hit 450 mph they just stop. Thrust drops to zero and plane floats down to ground. Some guys have had their planes over 2000 mph. how do they do it???? :eek:

At those speeds the local airflow can cross the boundary of the speed of sound and the resulting shock wave causes the engine to flame out or the plane to self destruct. :p

In english please? :D just joking, I got it. Sounds like your on the money, its so pleasent thinking of airplanes being destroyed and chaos. sighhhhh. :D

Actually I'm just pulling that answer out of my nether region, but it does explain why those speeds are not supported by the simulator.

RFRulez said:
Yeah, and whose seen an RC Plane break the speed of sound, not me :D
Well I know HOW to make an R/C plane break the speed of sound! Just tie it to a nearby supersonic jet and when you hear the loud boom, yell "MY R/C JUST BROKE THE SPEED OF SOUND!!!!" :D Sarcasm aside, kerrylaw, the simulator (or your computer) doesn't support rediculous speeds; I've been able to push a plane in RealFlight G4.5 faster than 450 MPH. Maybe RealFlight calculates the maximum speed your computer can handle without concequences?

Last edited:
Hmmmm, theres a new toy i'd like for christmas. Get suck in traffic, blow the cars infront of you away with the self destruct thingy mentioned in the description :D

Aircraft Master said:
Maybe RealFlight calculates the maximum speed your computer can handle without concequences?

Nope, it has to do with the Strength multipliers. I'm thinking RF is calculating how the air moves over these little planes we have, after they
start going over 300MPH, the drag from the plane, + the motor FORCING it through the air causes RF's calculations to see that we are exerting much more force than the air frame can take. (Stock strength multipliers) So the weakest links start coming off first. :)

Here are some numbers from my 2,000+ MPH 'Stang that I made for fun

Take Off: 33Gs
Cruise: 5-7Gs
Loop: 189 - 212Gs
Roll: 5-12Gs
Turning with Rudder: 31-44Gs
Vertical Climb: 7-13Gs
Dive: 6-7Gs
Deceleration: 8-23Gs

But that's with it being completely drag-less. :p I'm betting adding the drag would make those numbers higher, but slow it back down. so it looks like G forces + Wind resistance = KABLOOEY!!!

Dr.Moo! said:
189 - 212Gs
?!? That's rediculous! At least you aren't inside of the Mustang, if you were, you would just go splut against the seat! :eek: Well, I have never considered the drag factor. Might be the magic number, might not. Oh well; no one seems to care about speed anymore... In fact, I haven't even seen a thread about "The Fastest Plane Shoot-Down In RealFlight!"

dhk79 said:
Actually I'm just pulling that answer out of my nether region, but it does explain why those speeds are not supported by the simulator.
those speeds are "supported by the sim!
RFRulez said:
maybe they edit strength multiplyer:D
rf rulez hit that one right on the nail!

Aircraft Master said:
Oh well; no one seems to care about speed anymore... In fact, I haven't even seen a thread about "The Fastest Plane Shoot-Down In RealFlight!"
funny Aircraft master you sure cared and participated in this one!
does this refreash your memory?: post #93
https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=23533&page=4&pp=30\
just for giggles n grins, also see the "fastest plane in rf" in the the same thread(post#107)

or take a look at this;
http://www.rcspeeds.com/AircraftSpeeds.aspx?rpt=100 :D

Last edited:
Back