Why Is There Not A G2 Upgrade?

3pointlanding

Hello. How are you all? I wanted to ask about an upgrade for the G2. This topic may have come up before, but I'm new to the site and would like to hear everyone's comments on this.

I started flying with the NexStar which is $100.00 more than most trainers for a flight stability system which was removed immediately, but more importantly the G2 add on that came with it. I was so impressed with the G2 NexStar simulator that I went out and bought the FULL VERSION of the G2 which I paid $200.00 for. It’s great and I have 3 of the 5 add on packs along with it.

This is $300.00 plus another hundred spent on ADD ONS.

My question to Knife Edge is that you made a G2 Light, why can’t/won’t you make an upgrade to the G2 that would upgrade it to G3. Even the corporate giant Microsoft made an upgrade for the Windows based software. Why are you making loyal customers such as myself spend another $200.00 to buy a completely different version of the same software?

I would be happy to pay $100.00 for an upgrade, but I’m not going to dish out another $200.00, plus the money for the G3 ADD ONS all over again.

I would be very disappointed to know that there are no plans for an upgrade from G2 to G3 in the future. I would only start to look elsewhere for my flight sim software knowing that G3 will soon live out its cycle and Knife Edge/Real Flight/Great Planes will come out with another version that I will again have to shell out another $200 for, not to mention the additional costs for expansions.

I’ve always held Knife Edge/Real Flight/Great Planes in the highest regards, but somehow I’m starting feel like I’m being taken for an expensive ride.

Last edited:
At one time Great Planes was offering a rebate to G2 customers. I'm not sure if this is still available. Please contact Great Planes and let them know your feelings on the subject. Maybe they can assist you.

Jim

KMOT,

Uh, G3 is not an upgrade in software terms. It is a new version of the software. An upgrade would provide an interlink between the two versions.

TN,

I understand that is is a new baby. I just wish they made it easier to get into for prior customers. The rebate that Jim had mentioned might help a bit, but as for spending a bundle of money every time they come out with a new version with no backward compatibility or upgrade option is pretty rough on the customer.

How long will they continue to support the G2 before they abandon ship on it, and FORCE everyone to move to G3. This is a marketing play that takes trust away from customer base that is already in place.

They did right by the customers... the G2 add-ons work just fine in G3, so you are not looking at the expense you posted, merely the upgrade to G3 costs.

Add to that the rebate, improved performance, better planes, etc...

I know the G2 are compatible, but the G3 has it's own add ons. My question for G2 add on and G3 owners would be. Do the G3 graphics improve the add ons from the G2, or do they look just the same as they did in G2. I guess what I'm asking is, "Does the G3 engine improve the overall quality of the G2 add ons"?

3pointlanding said:
I know the G2 are compatible, but the G3 has it's own add ons. My question for G2 add on and G3 owners would be. Do the G3 graphics improve the add ons from the G2, or do they look just the same as they did in G2. I guess what I'm asking is, "Does the G3 engine improve the overall quality of the G2 add ons"?

Answered in the other thread with the same questions posted.

Back