Will RealFlight 7.5 run on any Windows Tablets...??

Looking for a Tablet, either Windows RT, or Windows 8.1/10 that can run RF 7.5 or earlier version and that will accommodate the Interlink Elite Controller or the SLT Wireless RF Link Dongle. Maybe a full size USB to micro-usb adapter..??

Maybe run RF 7.5 off of a USB Thumb Drive..??

Any Ideas...??

Most tablets that are effectively FULL PC's will run Realflight.

That excludes Windows RT.

However tablets are severely limited by their graphics processors.

Most use features built into the CPU to render 3D, and this is not as powerful nor expansive as having a separate dedicated GPU.

That said, Realflight runs just fine on my Surface Pro 3 that has an iCore7 processor ( HD 4600-5000 level graphics ) and 8 gigs of RAM.

The Interlink plugs into the on-board USB port for portable use, and I can plug the Surfaces Pro into it's docking station which then activates a large outboard monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc... I can then also plug the Interlink into the Dock and Realflight runs with the larger display... best of both worlds.

Most tablets that are effectively FULL PC's will run Realflight.

That excludes Windows RT.

However tablets are severely limited by their graphics processors.

Most use features built into the CPU to render 3D, and this is not as powerful nor expansive as having a separate dedicated GPU.

That said, Realflight runs just fine on my Surface Pro 3 that has an iCore7 processor ( HD 4600-5000 level graphics ) and 8 gigs of RAM.

The Interlink plugs into the on-board USB port for portable use, and I can plug the Surfaces Pro into it's docking station which then activates a large outboard monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc... I can then also plug the Interlink into the Dock and Realflight runs with the larger display... best of both worlds.

Thanks..!! How do you install RF onto the SP3..??

If you copy the contents of the RealFlight disc to the thumb drive and rename the thumb drive to what the disc is, it will install just as if it was in a DVD drive.

If you copy the contents of the RealFlight disc to the thumb drive and rename the thumb drive to what the disc is, it will install just as if it was in a DVD drive.

Thanks, I am assuming that it will install and configure itself onto the thumb drive and not any internal memory or hard drive contained inside the tablet correct..??

If so when you want to run RF, just pop the thumb drive in...??

I am looking at a few models with 64 GB SSD's so I would assume that RF woul set up on the internal SSD...???

Thanks everyone for your help and patience..!!

64GB?

No that's way to small to be useful.

Heck you'll use that up with the Windows install and Office.

Mine has 256GB and I still have to be careful with what I install.

I do have Realflight installed to the SSD.

Don't undercut the size of the SSD. You will not be able to upgrade it later and you'll be kicking yourself for not having gone with the larger drive.

You can make do with the iCore5 version to offset the cost of the larger SSD.

64GB?

No that's way to small to be useful.

Heck you'll use that up with the Windows install and Office.

Mine has 256GB and I still have to be careful with what I install.

I do have Realflight installed to the SSD.

Don't undercut the size of the SSD. You will not be able to upgrade it later and you'll be kicking yourself for not having gone with the larger drive.

You can make do with the iCore5 version to offset the cost of the larger SSD.

Will RF install and run entirely from a thumb drive..??

I don't install Real Flight to the SSD.. too valuable real estate and much is loaded into memory... not swaping.

Interesting question Prop_Washer... have not tried it... installing from one thumb drive to itself or another stick memory device. I would think that it would work, but would be slow loading.

Yup and Windows will not like that the paths are invalidated when the USB stick is removed and Windows is rebooted.

You are also correct about the slow load times. USB sticks tend to be slower than spinning drives.

On my Desktop Systems, Realflight runs very nicely from the SSD, and you can set your "My Documents" path to point to a spinning disk so that that terrabyte of planes, etc. all reside there.

Realflight only hits the spinning disk to retrieve a model, etc. but runs completely from the SSD otherwise.

Will RF install and run entirely from a thumb drive..??

Yes.

You'll need a USB drive big enough to house BOTH the installation files and then the actual installed version of Realflight.

Dump the contents of the DVD onto the drive, rename the drive the same as the DVD.

Assuming that your USB drive appears as drive "E:" ( substitute whatever letter it actually uses... )

When the installer comes up change the default target folders from

C:\Program Files (X86)\Realflight ( or whatever appears ) to

E:\Program Files (X86)\Realflight and let the installer run.

After it is done you can remove all BUT the E:\Program Files (x86)\ folders the installer created.

Thanks Opjose...your quite knowledgable as well as the others on here...

I ordered the Surface 3 yesterday, Atom X7 Cherry Trail Flavor, 4GB, 256GB SSD. I like the size of it. RF 7.5 looks like it needs about 10GB, so the 256 GB SSD may be enough for now and a few other apps. My daily driver is an Asus Laptop, 6GB, I5 latest generation, and a 120GB SSD. Seems to have plenty of room for my crap. My Game machine is an AMD 8-Core at 5GHz, Corsair h100i water cooled, two (2) high end Radeons in Crossfire with 6GB DDR5 ram, 32gb Ram, and 1 TB SSD, 3TB HD. It rolls along pretty well, three (3) 27" Asus IPC Thin Bezels running RF 7.5 and MS FSX as well as other games in Eyefinity at 5760x1020, TrackIr5, full Saitek flight package still setting in their new boxes, probably going to sell on EBay. I even have the mounting panel for the Saitek Modules (hard to find)....

Last edited:
Well I received the Surface 3, 4GB/128GB model. Within 60 seconds during the setup process, the video took a dump, turning the text on screen into vertical lines and blocks. Video was intermittent doing that so called the vendor and requested an RMA. Shipped it back, went to Best Buy and grabbed one there. Plugged in an external USB DVD writer, installed RF 7.0, did the updates to 7.5 and it runs smooth as glass. No complaints at all. Nice compact package with good performance.

Now I need a smaller flight controller or the dongle that provides a wireless connect to the Any Link Tactic controllers...any ideas..??

You can hook up the Surface 3 to an external monitor or TV, giving you pretty nice Realflight Portablity too.

As far as the controller, you could use the Tactic Interface, but the Interlink is still ultimately the most useful for Realflight.

Well I decided to trade the Surface 3 for a Surface Pro 3 model. I got the I5, 128gb variety. They price matched Amazon so the trade up only cost me $165.00 difference, so I jumped on it. So far so good, Real Flight 7.5 runs good, Win 10 is smooth, yada yada...

I see the SP4 is out other than more ram options and probably a stronger CPU, I don't see much difference...

I'm a Happy Camper so far...!!

No docking station because I put a UAG case on it and the removal/install would be a little pill. I have a "Big" water cooled desktop monster running (3) 27" 4k thin bezel monitors, 5 GHz, water-cooled 8-core, 2 Radeon 7980's with 3GB Ram each, SSD, TrackIr 5, and other bells and whistles.

I just will use the SP3 for when I travel in the hotel room, etc...

So, I understand that RF will run on a Surface Pro 3 with a Core i7 processor and 8 gigs of memory. Will it run on a Surface Pro 3 with a Core i5 processor and 4 gigs of memory or must you have the top end Surface Pro 3 that you describe? I know this may be a tough question unless someone has tried it with the Core i5 processor and 4 gigs of memory.

Back