Will RealFlight play on a Playstation?

Griffindor said:
Playing a game totally defets the purpose of a sim. A sim is to help you learn to fly. A game in my opinion is usless.

But there's nothing wrong with having a little fun on the sim (the poop thing, events... blah blah blah) every once in a while. Lol.

Warbird Flygirl said:
But there's nothing wrong with having a little fun on the sim (the poop thing, events... blah blah blah) every once in a while. Lol.
yeah but that is for eductaional puroses. Exept for the poop.

Josh 0987 said:
I totally agree. A game is "just for fun" in some cases.

I keep reading this: "RF is a simulator, not a game!"

Here's my question to you: Why do you fly radio-controlled aircraft? Unless you're building UAV's, doing aerial photography, or somehow selling your R/C time, you're flying your plane for fun.

So basically, the simulator is training you to do the real thing, which you do for fun. Think about it. This is all entertainment, or 90% of us wouldn't be doing it.

Nothing wrong with having fun or entertaining yourself or being entertained. But, there's a difference between a video game and a simulator.

A simulator is primarily used as a tool - you're using the same kind of controller you would if you were "flying" the real thing, your observations and placement of the video image is the same as it would be in an actual real life situation, the performance of the aircraft is "simulated" as it would be in real life, the places you fly are as they would be in real life, etc, etc.

A video game is a toy - the controller does not have to emulate any actual control device, your observations and the placement of the video image is not as it would be in real life, the places you fly can be as unrealistic as you'd like and the aircraft can perform in unrealistic manners, etc, etc.

RealFlight is a simulator. Yes, it has a few video game qualities, but, it's initial intent and purpose is to "simulate" the real life situations, flying fields and R/C aircraft found in our real life hobby.

Flying in Chase or Cockpit view is what is found in dozens of video games. Most selling for around $40. To degrade RealFlight and place it in that category in the name of "having fun" demeans the developers and programers who have created such a wonderful tool for all of us to use.

Flying in Chase or Cockpit view is what is found in dozens of video games. Most selling for around $40. To degrade RealFlight and place it in that category in the name of "having fun" demeans the developers and programers who have created such a wonderful tool for all of us to use.

Sorry but I have to interject here. You're apparently unaware of the advent of FPV piloting in the hobby world. Here is the link to the forum on rcgroups:

FPV/RPV forum

Sure it's fairly economically exclusive at the moment but is rapidly gaining popularity as pre packaged kits appear.

Also note that flying an airplane in chase view gives the pilot a good training in the general flight traits of the model in addition to the fact that this is directly applied to meatspace RC piloting where the model is often flying away from your point of reference.

Carl

Intersting opinions

How can the KE Developers find custom fields, that require cockpit/chase views to complete, demeaning? Is this what the Developers are saying? If so, where is this information?

Are these not facts?

The KE software comes with obstacle courses.

The KE software invites people to be creative, and make their own custom airports.

The KE software invites you to share your custom content online.

The KE developers included the options of chase/cockpit views.

How can using the software, closer to it's full potential, in any way be demeaning to the KE developers? Have they authorized anyone to speak for them? They developed these options. They advertise these options. Some of us choose to use these options.

I find it extremely hard to believe they included these options, in their software, with the intent that nobody should use them.

If any of you can provide me with where this information is, that these "opinions" are based on, I would greatly appreciate it.

A fact is a fact, anything else is just BS. Written words, not opinions, are what I am looking for here. Show me any typed word, by an official KE rep., that backs up these "opinions".

Last edited:
Remember the views are optional! There's a reason why they have them on 3D airports ;)

And if you truly want a realistic experience use the PANORAMIC fields.

Well I got my 5 year old boy flyin airplanes in the chase view, if it were not for that he would be lost. He is understanding how the aircraft will move when the sticks are moved, and I have to say he is quite good at it.

So think simple if you have never touched a controller it is very usefull.

Last edited:
I’m well aware of FPV/RPV piloting in the hobby world. And, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with using a simulator to practice that kind of flying. I just don’t know of many pilots who use the simulator in that way. After all, like Keylitho said, even a 5 year old can operate an R/C aircraft in that mode. By the time you’ve spent the money necessary to equip an R/C aircraft with the FPV/RPV capabilities any pilot that I know would be able of operating that aircraft in the normal R/C mode as well.

I never said that no one should use the chase or cockpit views, I said that using them was using the simulator as a video game ... and that if that’s your prime interest there are dozens of flying video games out there (for much less money) ... and that it would be demeaning to the developers of RealFlight not to use the simulator as it was intended. After all, the chase and cockpit views are a fun feature for all of those 5 year olds out there who would like to fly like Daddy (or for practicing fpv/rpv piloting).

RealFlight comes with a few “obstacle courses”. It also comes with a few “fantasy fields” like the Carnival. I’m sure that some of our younger enthusiasts who don’t have long attention spans or would rather play a video game then to fly an R/C aircraft will enjoy them. But, they are not and should not be the prime focus of the simulator.

As far as creating content and loading it onto the swap pages. That’s what the swaps are for! But, they also have the added feature of allowing anyone to “rate” that content. If someone feels that the content is inappropriate they have a perfect right - and in some cases the responsibility - to say so and to rate the content accordingly.

Bad Ace said:
How can using the software, closer to it's full potential, in any way be demeaning to the KE developers? Have they authorized anyone to speak for them? They developed these options. They advertise these options. Some of us choose to use these options.

Exactly.

A giant cardboard refrigerator box is only really designed to house a fridge during transportation/storage, but can you blame a youngster for having fun building a fort out of it?

RealFlight was designed to be enjoyed one way or another.

True, but let's not be giving a 10 star rating to the cardboard box, as an "appliance"...

Adam Taylor said:
Exactly.

A giant cardboard refrigerator box is only really designed to house a fridge during transportation/storage, but can you blame a youngster for having fun building a fort out of it?

RealFlight was designed to be enjoyed one way or another.

I beg to differ with you. Realflight was designed to be an R/C simulator - a tool to improve R/C flying.

A cardboard refrigerator box is used by youngsters for having fun building forts - not adults. An R/C simulator is used by adults (of all ages) to improve their R/C flying skills and used by youngsters as a video game.

I don’t think anyone would like to see RealFlight’s full potential realized more then I would. I guess my idea of a simulator's full potential to be a little different then using a simulator as a video game.

If the KnifeEdge staff doesn’t care that their hard work and programming skills are used to simulate less powerful video games - or cardboard boxes - then maybe asking the question; “Why can’t we play it on a PlayStation?” really is a fair question.

If we’re going to treat it like a video game, then let’s give it video game status and release it for use on PlayStation.

I've seen some nice boxes....

opjose said:
True, but let's not be giving a 10 star rating to the cardboard box, as an "appliance"...

I've seen some pretty nice cardboard boxes out there. 9 maybe pushin' a ten......9.5 for sure! I saw this one, up at U-Haul, bigger than my first condo....

Last edited:
Bad Ace said:
I've seen some pretty nice cardboard boxes out there. 9 maybe pushin' a ten......9.5 for sure! I saw this one, up at U-Haul, bigger than my first condo....

:D Well 9.5 if all of the proper details and textures have been applied. Also the box colorscheme simply MUST correspond to a real world analog! :D

Since this thread seems to be internally relabeled to "should there be game elements in G4", I'd like to add my 2 cents:

For someone who has played video games since he was a kid, it is natural to expect to be challenged and entertained by a program no matter if it calls itself simulation or game. This doesn't necessarily mean that the challenges have to be unrealistic or based on fast action. AFAIK even the MS Flight Simulator has some kind of missions to fulfill.

Also, the training features already present some kind of challenges or missions. Yet they are either too easy or too straight forward to be really entertaining. Then again, to be entertained a little while improving your skills surely doesn't hurt, does it?

So it's not too far fetched to evolve this idea a little bit. Also keep in mind that the simulation allows things that would be difficult to put into practice or simply extremely expensive in real life. Yet, as long as they are are possible in theory, why not simulate them?

To throw in just a few ideas:

- have a set of mission for helis and planes, where each mission has to be solved to advance to the next mission.
- missions could include flying through obstacles or spot landing. At least the basic set of mission should be possible from the outside view of an RC-Pilot though.
- For helis (or 3D planes with good hovering capabilities), e.g. transporting a payload from spot A to spot B would be nice. Towing a payload would have to be implemented, but that's needed for towing sailplanes anyway.
- For planes, dropping payloads (or bombs, water, whatever) on a target (fire) could be entertaining.
- The good old balloon popping could work for helis and planes
- Maybe it would be possible for users to create own missions just for the fun of it. Would mean the introduction of some scripting capabilities, but I guess the base for this should be already there.

If someone every played the game "Stunt Island": it showed how entertaining it can be to fulfill skill based flight missions and then watch the recording of your own spectacular stunts.

Custom Events?

Oooooh, now we're thinking outside the box. ;) How about....being able to make custom events. (or have I missed this option) You could have your flying agenda then. ie: around the pylons 3 times, under the limbo bar, complete the obstacle course, and spot land to finish. You have to be able to switch views to complete it. Cut 3 pylons, knock down 3 limbo bars, miss 3 obstacles, or crash 3 times, and you're out. All with that timer and background voice, like in events, that warns you of possible elimination. (Just to create pressure). Or better yet....a laugh track when you crash. Now we're gettin' somewhere. :cool:

Last edited:
I didn't read all the posts in this thread but going back to the original question1. about PS3 (i hope you did slap your friend by the way!) - my initial reaction was that this guy has a desire to view it a different way - i.e. on a TV... no? Otherwise what is the point?

I use my G4 on my laptop and plug it in to the 42" Plasma which looks great. Isn't that the only advantage if PS3 were (by some wild stretch of the imagination) play the simulator?

There ya go - my 5 eggs worth.

Back