Windows 10 Disappearing Menu Item

johnelle

I have 6.5 still on the machine and upgraded to 7.5. The desktop icon is there but the two 7.5 entries are missing from the "all applications" menu. If I try to pin 7.5 to the start menu it never appears.

When I look inside the actual menu directory the shortcuts exist along side of 6.5 so the install procedure seems to have created the right pieces.

Does the Windows 10 install mess up the protection? Must be a simple way to get the menu items to appear properly(?)

reboot

Did you try uninstalling RF. Restart windows and reinstall? I also found with windows 10 better to create a new directory in c drive, and install realflight 7.5 in that directory. Fix a couple of bugs for me with real flight, also fixed bugs in FSX when I that did the same for that program.

Something about write protection in programs(86) folder, some one with more knowledge welcome to explain it better.

Yup.

In later versions of Windows, the operating system acts to protect itself from Malware, worms and viruses.

To that end normal user accounts do not have the ability to write to most folders on your computer. The idea is to get you to put things into your own personal "space" away from the operating system.

That fouls up some older programs where the programmers assumed their software would have full access to the computer and hard drive.

This is why now when you go to install a program you are prompted about "elevating" the privileges of the software so the installer can run.

After the OS upgrade some programs will have to be re-installed to get them properly registered with the new mechanisms.

Back