Windows 10 HELP!!!!!

Tesadorn

Launcher does not start (hangs as a process)
Realflight 7.5 itself does not start (hangs as a process)
Uninstaller does not start (hangs as a process)
setup from original disc does not start (hangs as a process)

Was working fine before on windows 8.1 pro

No anti virus
No windows defender
No firewall

User is Admin (tried running as admin anyway)
No compatibility works on OR off

Of course i have restarted and sacrificed a MAC to the windows gods... still no go...:mad:
What am I missing???

Thanks!

Windows 10 is still in pre-release.

It is highly likely that you are missing one or more prerequisites dealing with the MSI installer, .NET, C++ Libs, etc.

A lot of this stuff is added in prior to release as developers review the OS and add their requirements and experience.

As such, you are waaay too far out on the bleeding edge.

Drop back to Win 8.1 until KnifeEdge has a chance to deal with a RELEASE version of Windows 10.

Your Mac sacrifice will put you on good terms with the Redmond gods once Win10 releases.

Last edited:
WOW... I gave up on doing the pre-releases. Win10 ... it brings back the start button... I like Win8 and don't miss the missing start button. I can start without start. Your MAC sacrifice was noticed and you now have a personal inscribed brick in a walkway somewhere.

I am also playing with the evaluation version of Win10, and can confirm all of your issues. It is likely as Opjose noted, and as you were warned several times when signing up for and downloading the program - not all functionality may be present in this version. Send your log files to Microsoft so they can work on any debugging that may be needed. Switch back to Win 8.1 for all your day-to-day needs.

I am also playing with the evaluation version of Win10, and can confirm all of your issues. It is likely as Opjose noted, and as you were warned several times when signing up for and downloading the program - not all functionality may be present in this version. Send your log files to Microsoft so they can work on any debugging that may be needed. Switch back to Win 8.1 for all your day-to-day needs.

Why would I do that??? Realflight is what is broke not windows 10.
It nonsense to think that.. I have a boatload of steam games/// they work...
In fact this is the ONLY program so far (I know ill find more) that does not work...

Does anyone have any constructive ideas????

Why would I do that??? Realflight is what is broke not windows 10.

Does anyone have any constructive ideas????

And you KNOW it's broken, because???? What???

Did you run a debugger and find any errant code? Did you trace through all of the API calls to arrive to this conclusion?

Highly unlikely....

And then there is the fact you had it running in Windows 8. So by that alone you can't call Realflight "broken"

No Windows 10 - IS - "Broken" because it is still in pre-release.

What don't you get?????

Don't expect things to conform to your bleeding edge installation.

Better yet, call up Realflight Tech support and let them tell you the same thing.

Venting here about an unreleased operating system is just silly and pointless, especially one that has not hit Release Candidate yet.

Last edited:
... Of course i have restarted and sacrificed a MAC to the windows gods... still no go...

This made my day.
EP8Q9EE.png

Windows 10 ...

^ Right there.
4NWFGHq.png

-And you KNOW it's broken, because???? What???
-No Windows 10 - IS - "Broken" because it is still in pre-release.
-Venting here about an unreleased operating system is just silly and pointless, especially one that has not hit Release Candidate yet.

opjose has some VERY valid points if I may say so... Did you read on the back of the case what operating systems are supported? You're doing an experiment and blaming RealFlight because it's running on a Beta and unsupported Operating System. 9GAG material right here.

Last edited:
Useful Information???

If KE is not exploring compatibility with Win10 yet, they should be... I don't really get your comment that setup hangs... but then you say that you have the launcher and real flight installed. How is that so? In the past I remember some of the guys complaining about a super long time for the installer to process, yet it did.

Launcher does not start (hangs as a process)
Realflight 7.5 itself does not start (hangs as a process)
Uninstaller does not start (hangs as a process)
setup from original disc does not start (hangs as a process)

Could be a pirate for all you know... In my honest opinion, I'd leave him to deal with this with Tech Support because:
1) It's the software they made and support (Not trying to say we can't help, but this is pretty much stuff he should discuss with Tech Support_
2) Could be a pirate trying to get around or some stuff.

Just saying.

Bought a new PC (2nd hand) and guess what: it doesn't take my legitimate Windows 7 (EUFI only bios/ only W8+ supported driverset). So the next step would be to buy and install W8 or W8.1 (=$$$) OR install the free test-ride Windows 10 (free upgrade from legitimate W7 later on!).
It does run very smooth and error free I must say.

So it's quite possible people install W10.

... and no: the RealFlight setup doesn't run :(

I have Windows 10 on a second HDD in my Laptop, I have not tried RF7 on it yet but I know of Several Applications that will not install properly on Win10. My Intuit Turbo Tax won't install on Win10, several Steam games including TF2 do not work in Windows 10 for me. The Bluetooth Adapter in the laptop isn't recognized like it is in 8.1 either. I am not worried at this time about compatibility as since this is just a technical preview, Software is not expected to work till it final release.

Edit: Found another incompatibility. If I Plug in my G510 Keyboard The Software that runs the screen and changes the Colors of the backlit keys does not operate as it does in 8.1. It doesn't recognize the keyboard. I can still use the keyboard but none of the special Functions work.

Last edited:
Opjose.. You know what they say right?? Keep your mouth shut if your gonna be an ***.
I asked for help thinking there may be a solution.
I am not mad.. I am not venting.. It is MY opinion that's its real-flight and not windows 10 ok?
I know its pre-release...
So go up your post count in a diff thread mmm-kay? I was trying to find a solution!!
btw csgill75.. I have a G910, G602 and the G930.. I had no issues with Logitech software in windows 10 works great...

I wont even comment on the pirate nonsense....your just trying to be an ***.
Hopefully someone will pop in with a workaround!

It is MY opinion that's its real-flight and not windows 10 ok?

Well, RF doesn't list Windows 10 in the system requirements so really its user error first. After that, since Windows changed, rather than RF, the technical change/responsibility is probably owned by Microsoft. But of course, if you complain to them (I assume/hope you have) they will tell you that this is why this is a preview and not a ready for prime time OS, and thanks for helping them debug it etc.

Of course, due to the relative sizes of the companies/markets, it's possible that the RF engineers will need to work around Microsoft's issues/changes anyway.

I understand its not listed.... That's why I will not complain to Knife edge!
I am just hoping to find a solution that's all!

There is no anger! Just trying to fly!

The Microsoft web site for the Windows 10 Technical Preview states:
"Windows 10 Technical Preview gives you an early look at some of the features and functionality in store for Windows 10. This latest release shows a lot of what Windows 10 can do, and lets you send feedback directly to the teams that are building the product. Because this is an early release, though, we don’t yet recommend that you use the Windows 10 Technical Preview as your primary operating system for software development. Remember, trying out an early build like this can be risky. Windows 10 Technical Preview is here today, but it’s a long way from done.

Things to keep in mind
Unexpected PC crashes could damage or even delete your files, so you should back up everything. Some printers and other hardware might not work, and some software might not install or work correctly, including antivirus or security programs. You might also have trouble connecting to home or corporate networks. Some installed apps might not yet work as expected or might not be available in your country or region."

Since the Windows 10 Software Development Kit (SDK) is not even available for developers yet, Knife Edge can't even attempt to run debugging tools to determine what may be the cause of problems. If the application works, great; if not, wait until the next release and try again.

Opjose.. You know what they say right?? Keep your mouth shut if your gonna be an ***.

Were you to use that touchstone yourself, you would have never posted a second response after everyone told you what you did not what to hear.

As such your long eared, braying credentials have already been established.

Want some hay?

It is MY opinion that's its real-flight and not windows 10 ok?

So where before you stated your equine manner that the program is "broken" now you move onto that assertion being nothing more than an "opinion".

Opinions are not facts, nor was or is your original declaration of anything being "broken".

Hopefully someone will pop in with a workaround!

Why not contact Realflight Tech support an ask them instead?

Or is that just too hard to do?

You'll find no love here with such a sophomoric attitude.

Your question was answered early on.

Last edited:
Tesadorn,
Funny, it only took you 3 post to piss off one of the most helpful guys here. A pretty good hardware guy, and a straight shooter. You want a work around? Try installing Win8.1

Tesadom,
I don't think you actually pissed anyone off.
A lot of them here do come off as asses sometimes.
I also get the feeling that some of the folks here may be beta testers of the software (or something like that) *where do I sign up*? haha - and get their copies/updates for free and that there's some fanboishness stuff going on here.
I've also been privately warned on several occasions about management on this forum and a danger of getting my account deleted by someone managing the board that didn't seem to be in alignment with the member's/user's best interests.
So there's also that weirdness around here as well.
Not heard about that in quite awhile so it or who *may* be gone now.
If my account ever get's deleted for criticism I'll be sure to let everyone know.
Somehow.

Realflight *is* buggy* that is well known and easy to diagnose under any of what I'd call "standard stress tests".
Realflight can be made to fail easily when heavily used.

I also get a particular BSOD in windows 8.1 where no other software or game causes this
When running Realflight.

Most here will point you to this being a problem with DirectX9.
However like you I'll always ask the next logical question of why does other software I use and test for long periods of time in DX9 on the same platform *not* crash.

Anyhow it's buggy it is what it is it's old and still using what I'd call 2002 tech. and software.
That said it's still my main Heli practice tool.
I live with the issues.
It's also the best multiuser model flight software out there even though it has even more multiplayer bugs crashes and annoyances.
You won't get help with that here either.
You will get opinionated responses that multiplayer isn't even a primary function of realflight,
That it's an afterthought and not Realflight's main purpose.
So don't expect any support/concern/improvements to the software there
Because "nobody really cares about that part of realflight".
I mean if you want to fly with other people just go to a flying field with some other people right?
I've actually had a response that was very much like that!
So don't expect improvements/updates to the multiuser system.

Nice to meet you Mr. sophomore! Welcome to the forum.
Please pass me the donkey ears It's my turn and I don't want to miss it.

Moving on; from what I've read I've gathered you might have it already installed on 10.
Did the installer actually run? or was this installed on 8 and then *cough* upgraded to 10?

I'm curious if a fresh install o Win10 makes any difference.
Actually I'm so interested I'm going to try it out and see if it works.

I'll PM you if it was a success or fail etc.
Unless anyone here wants to know I'll share that info here ;-)

Last edited:
I own several copies for a couple of reasons... I have never been given anything for free by anyone associated with Real Flight. There, is that disclaimer good enough for you?

Remember, this is a user to user forum, you want tech support... there it is in the Gray bar. Yeah it is not perfect. I can use it for my needs. Show me a perfect piece of software and I will show you a way to destruct it.

The glass is way more than half full in my opinion.

Nice to meet you Mr. sophomore! Welcome to the forum.
Please pass me the donkey ears It's my turn and I don't want to miss it.

Donkey Ears indeed.

His comment was about about Realflight not running under an unreleased, pre-beta operating system, Windows 10.

Your comments above were just simply irrelevant to his rant, even where your some of your observations are correct.

He wants Realflight to fix his Windows 10 Alpha problems.

No where does it give Windows 10 as a supported OS on the Realflight box or advertising.

I'll always ask the next logical question of why does other software I use and test for long periods of time in DX9 on the same platform *not* crash.

Your Logical Question was answered logically before...

e.g.

It could also be that you are using one DX9 lib in that "other" software, and another in Realflight causing a problem.

Whip out the debuggers and see what modules your applications are using in each case and report back.

On the other hand you could be right on the money with what you perceive, but you may have something seemingly unrelated getting in the way.

Send your computer to Knifeedge ( Yes people HAVE done that... ) if you are really interested in "helping".

Last edited:
Back