Windows 7 on laptop, have a message I need to connect to my controller.

ARKIEFLYER49

I get a message to connect to my controller, which is bound to the sim. Using a Spekturm DX6. I am using an old laptop which has windows 7 which should run as it did at one time. I know that if the program opened up, I could go to settings and change to my DX6 but when message shows up, that is as far as it will go. Anyone have an idea on how to get it working. I am using the dongle and it is bound to the radio and using Sim 1 as plane. Works great on my computer but not so much on my laptop.

Sounds like Windows 7 may not be recognizing the dongle for some reason. First thing to check is whether or not the dongle is working at the Windows level. If you go to the Control Panel, and then Devices and Printers, you should see a device called "SPEKTRUM RECEIVER" if the dongle is working (assuming it's a Spektrum WS1000 or 2000). You can right-click that and go to "Game Controller Settings" to drill farther into how it's working. On the Game Controller Settings screen, you can click the "Properties" button to get to a screen where you can watch things move as you move the sticks on your DX6.

I believe you can get to that Game Controller Settings screen faster by running a program called "joy.cpl" rather than digging through the Control Panel. That works on more recent versions of Windows, and I think it worked on Windows 7 too.

When I go to Game Controler Settings, I can't go to properties, it shows Advanced. When I click it, it takes me to a screen that states Select the device you want to use. In the pereferred device it shows (none) and will not let me type in anything. Stuck again.

Here's a post with a screen shot that shows what the Game Controller Settings window is supposed to look like. You should see "SPEKTRUM RECEIVER" listed in the white box.

Sounds like you're not seeing that, which means there's definitely a failure to communicate between Windows and the dongle.

Good idea above, try a different port.

Another idea... go to Device Manager, plug it in, and then see if an "Unknown Device" appears when you plug it in. If so, right-click that Unknown Device and choose "Uninstall". Then unplug the dongle, wait a minute, and then plug it back in. Keep it plugged in and give Windows a chance to install it again.

Well, it is working. I would like to SAY THANK’S TO that for all the help I received. The flight community is as always fantastic when it comes to helping people with problems. Fantastic group of flyers. Again, THANKS TO ALL.

Back