Windows Mixed Reality - Samsung HMD Odyssey first look

Its a shame the Samsung Odyssey is not sold in Europe (no idea why, all the other MR headsets are available).

Yah makes no sense.

Owning both a Oculus and Samsung MR HMD, the Samsung is hands down the winner for me. And now I'm playing other games with it and I find I prefer it over Oculus overall.

Here's a nice review of the Samsung set where I pretty much agree on all points

https://youtu.be/asC-Axnjk9Q

Ryan said he tried the Oculus thru OpenVR, which is how RF8 works on Vive... and now Odyssey. He said going thru OpenVR imposes a performance hit with no gain. (can't find the quote now)

... Maybe this is the reason behind the poor performance in RF8?

I still can't get my Odyssey to work. No progress.

On the other hand, I'm really enjoying my Rift. Just got the Smooth Locomotion mod for Robo Recall and that was just the element it needed to make it one helluva gaming experience! Happily I find I'm not susceptible to any sort of motion sickness. Been flying fast drones & planes in RF8 cockpit mode and chase mode... turning, banking, looping, rolling... all no problem :)

Have decided to return my Samsung Odyssey. Cannot get it to work on my pc. Had my computer guru working on it for 2 hours... no joy.

Have decided to return my Samsung Odyssey. Cannot get it to work on my pc. Had my computer guru working on it for 2 hours... no joy.

I couldn't get video to work until I stopped using the HDMI 2.0 port on my laptop. Instead I bought the Accell USB-C to HDMI adapter and connected the headset through this instead. Works perfect.

Prob some driver bugs still.

I couldn't get video to work until I stopped using the HDMI 2.0 port on my laptop. Instead I bought the Accell USB-C to HDMI adapter and connected the headset through this instead. Works perfect.

Prob some driver bugs still.

I thought the dumb thing REQUIRED an HDMI 2.0 ???
I had it plugged into my graphics card... an MSI 1070 which has an HDMI 2.0.

Ah well, it's returned now. Also tried one in the Microsoft Store and prefer the Oculus.
- MUCH superior Touch controlers
- Bigger sweet spot on the display
- Only a marginal difference is noticable in resolution and only at the center

This brand new "NextGen" Odyssey really has no clear advantage, and several inferiorities compared to the 2 year old Rift.

I thought the dumb thing REQUIRED an HDMI 2.0 ???
I had it plugged into my graphics card... an MSI 1070 which has an HDMI 2.0.

Ah well, it's returned now. Also tried one in the Microsoft Store and prefer the Oculus.
- MUCH superior Touch controlers
- Bigger sweet spot on the display
- Only a marginal difference is noticable in resolution and only at the center

This brand new "NextGen" Odyssey really has no clear advantage, and several inferiorities compared to the 2 year old Rift.

Yes it does, but some driver bug makes WindowsMR not work with my HDMI port. I found a work around though until it's fixed.

I own the Oculus also, but I feel the opposite of you. I like the Odyssey a lot better. The resolution makes a big impact for me on sim, and the Samsung controllers (which are different vs the other WinMR) feel great (edge is with the Oculus ergonomics). Tracking has actually been great and my Oculus has been collecting dust. Mainly using the Oculus to play some of the Oculus games already purchased.

I couldn't get video to work until I stopped using the HDMI 2.0 port on my laptop. Instead I bought the Accell USB-C to HDMI adapter and connected the headset through this instead.

So you had to adapt the Odyssey's HDMI-male to a tiny little phone jack USB-C... and then back again to HDMI to plug into your card? Or does your card actually have a USB-C female jack?

Also, you mentioned some poor performance with RF8... were you able to improve it any?

Hi Sonny,

Yes I think so. RF8 is a much better sim than 7.5 IMO...
- Physics are better, especially for helis.
- New craft. I think it's all the content from Drone too. ( not sure if it's 100% )
- Better sounds... our heli bark is back!
- VR Support.

Just like previous versions, 8 will only multiplayer with 8.

As to the VR hardware... dunno yet which is best. I have the Oculus Rift and it works great! It changes the sim to something much closer to reality! Only bad thing is the resolution. And that really is the only bad thing... the Rift is VERY well designed gear. The Touch Controllers are very intuitive and just work.
And at $349, I consider it a bargain. Even with the low resolution, RF is still enjoyable... I just never stopped noticing it.

The Odyssey is an open question and I've ordered one to do a side by side. I've watched all the Youtube reviews and they're mixed... with some common themes.
- Resolution is much better (highest among the new raft of WMR hardware)
- Tracking is good enough but not on par with Rift/Vive
- Controllers are good enough but not nearly as good as Rift/Vive

RF is the application I care most about, and it's the one which cries out for better resolution. But is it worth the trade off in Cost & Quality? That's the question!
Hey String, thanks, I guess I will order up one soon, I see they have a 2o dollar rebate too now.

curious to know how the VR is!

So you had to adapt the Odyssey's HDMI-male to a tiny little phone jack USB-C... and then back again to HDMI to plug into your card? Or does your card actually have a USB-C female jack?

Also, you mentioned some poor performance with RF8... were you able to improve it any?

I'm using a Asus Zephyrus laptop that has a HDMI 2.0 port and a USB-C port. Normally I plug the VR into the HDMI port, and my monitor in the USB-C port directly. But the Samsung video won't start for some reason on the HDMI port. I did for a short while, but some driver bug is messing with it.

So I bought an Accell USB-C to HDMI 2.0 adapter for $20 and it just works perfectly. So for now this is how I am running it.

RF8 graphics performance through OpenVr steam is really poor on the Odyssey. So I gave up and just fly Next right now which has VR support. Performance is so goo I can set supersample to 4x and the rendering at a distance is pretty awesome. My flight envelope is _very_ good. Way better on the Odyssey wth super sample 4x vs Occulus running RF8 at high quality.

HP mixed reality headset

I now have a HP mixed reality headset to compare with the Oculus (The HP headsets seem to be available on Ebay for about 1/2 retail, the Samsung headset is not available in the UK). I have access to two machines, my conclusions for the HP;

Intel I7 6700k, GTX 1070

RF8 requires the shadows to be at minimum settings in 'flight school', but once clear of the ground I get 90fps most of the time (Synergy 766). The photo fields give 90fps more consistently.

Ryzen 1700x , GTX 1080ti

RF8 even with the shadows and other graphics reduced struggles in the 'flight school field', too annoying to be useable. just ok in the photo fields. Clearly only using one core and not running as efficiently as on the I7.

Even though the HP headset is only 1440p per eye, and the picture is not as vivid as the Oculus (LCD vs OLED), I find myself preferring the extra resolution of the HP over the Oculus for RC sim flying. I thought that the LCD would show trails on the heli from the higher latency of the LCD screen but I have not noticed anything .

We got a Samsung HMD Odyssey today and played with it a little.

I have good news: It works! As suspected, the Odyssey does in fact support OpenVR, which is how RealFlight 8 is able to support it without additional software changes on our end. It did require some time-consuming Windows updates first, though.

To use it with RealFlight:
  1. Do whatever initial setup is required in Windows for your new device.
  2. Download the "Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR" application via Steam and launch that instead of the regular SteamVR application. (It's a free download.)
  3. Start RealFlight 8 normally.
For more information, please view this page from Microsoft. Note that instead of using Steam to launch RealFlight as described in step 3, though, you will run it yourself via the desktop or Start menu shortcuts.

In our limited time experimenting we noted one minor glitch: the camera is too high on initial spawn. This in turn causes the UI to be displayed too low. A case has been filed about this particular issue. In the meantime, however, there is an easy workaround: simply change pilot spawns. (Press X, then Shift-X or Ctrl-X to return to the default spawn. Or, press X enough times to cycle all the way through and back.)

I anticipate the two big questions will be "How does it look?" and "How is performance?" We haven't done any kind of benchmarking, so I'm afraid I can't provide any performance info at this point. As for the former, I wasn't able to switch back and forth between the Odyssey and the Rift or Vive and compare back to back, which is what it would take for a proper analysis. To my eye, the higher resolution displays in the Odyssey looked better than the Rift & Vive, but not an order of magnitude better.

All the VR headsets we've tried have some advantages and some disadvantages compared to other available options. The Odyssey is no different.

I hope this emboldens some people to take the leap on the new hardware and report their own results!

I got it to work with my new Lenovo Y720 laptop and Lenovo Explorer VR Headset thanks to your instructions. Thanks for sharing. I am amazed how cool this is.

With my HP mixed reality headset I get much better frame rates with my Ryzen 1700 - 16gb ram - 3gb GTX1060 desktop than I can get with my MSI Apachi Pro laptop - Intel i7 7700HQ - 16gb RAM and GTX1070 .

The mobile version of the 7700 is about 40% slower than the desktop version of the same name. Mobile versions of the gpu are also not as powerful as the desktop versions. A 7700k desktop processor runs at 4.2 ghz vs 2.8 ghz for the mobile.

Hi guys

Playing with RF8 and a HP Windows mixed reality headset that I got free with a new razer blade laptop and have steam installed and am able to fire up RF8 though get an error saying that the RealFlight and VR are attempting to use different graphics adapters. The laptop has an intel video card driving the panel and a GTX 1060 for the HDMI that the headset is plugged into.

Did anyone come across the same issue when using a laptop and if so, any pointers on getting RF8 to start?

Cheers

Hi guys

Playing with RF8 and a HP Windows mixed reality headset that I got free with a new razer blade laptop and have steam installed and am able to fire up RF8 though get an error saying that the RealFlight and VR are attempting to use different graphics adapters. The laptop has an intel video card driving the panel and a GTX 1060 for the HDMI that the headset is plugged into.

Did anyone come across the same issue when using a laptop and if so, any pointers on getting RF8 to start?

Cheers

I found the issue, needed to set realflight.exe to use the NVIDIA processor in the NVIDIA control panel > Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings.

Hi guys

Cheers

I found the issue, needed to set realflight.exe to use the NVIDIA processor in the NVIDIA control panel > Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings.

Mate, you are a lifesaver. I had exactly the same issue today with my new Alienware 17 R4 laptop / Dell Visor WMR headset combo (after Xmas sale from our local aussie Microsoft Store). After following your advice I finally got it working fine. Many thanks mate.

I'm still fine tuning settings but I seem to be able to get 80-90 fps in simple 3D fields (like castle and ranch) if I knock off all the scenery items (in the view menu). If I add them all back in I'm down to 45-55 fps on the ground (or close to scenery things) and ~70-80 fps when I get further away from these items.

Not bad performance for a laptop. Main specs are i7 7700hk (2.8 ghz), 32gb memory, gtx 1060, 250gb ssd and 1tb hd.

If I get hooked on VR I'll probably look for a better video card. Alienware offers a graphics amplifier box that allows you to add a full sized video card which can bypass the on-board card. Lots more VR learning for me before that though.

Cheers and Happy 2018!

enable supersampling on RF8 VR

The odyssey has more resolution than the HP MR headset.

But the real problem is the performance. And because of that we can’t enable And because of that we can’t enable supersampling which has a big impact on flying at a distance. which has a big impact on flying at a distance.

But if you want a demo of what’s possible with vr with a faster graphics engine try Next.[/QUOTE And because of that we can’t enable supersampling which has a big impact on flying at a distance.
you can enable supersampling on RF8 i got samsung headset i put it up to 4 and now you can see at distance. looks great

I'm really enjoying RF8 VR (and other VR games) with my Dell Windows Mixed Reality headset and my fairly new (+ 1 month old) Alienware 17 R4 VR-ready laptop (i7-7700hk @ 2.8, gtx1060, 32gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hd).

Based on onthesnap's recommendation I tried the next rc flight sim but I found that this looked more like a bit higher resolution RF8 photo field. I'm not sure but I don't think it is a true 3d field (no cockpit view that I could find).

Using Steam VR with WMR seems to allow you to select super-sampling. I found I just needed to select the top left corner of the steamvr window that starts up when you initiate steam for windows and select settings/developer. There you can select any super-sampling you want. After that, you should restart your program.

I believe that the latest steamvr SS settings are quite a lot higher than the original ones so you need to play with these a bt if you want max FPS's. I actually found that using 0.8 SS gave me the best results with my PC.

Last edited:
Back