Windows Vista and Real Flight...?

Tinman1

Hi!

I have flown Real Flight G3 at my local Hobby Shop and love it.

I just bought a new computer but it came with Windows Vista.

Is the latest version of Real Flight G3 compatible?

I want to purchase it but need to make sure it will run. :confused:

thanks
Brian

Have you tried a search on these forums for vista? This topic has been done to death. Search and ye shall find.

Yes I have,

a thread said it would but then everyone started typing in Japanese.

Thats the only one I could find when I searched under "Vista"

I'll try again....

Do you know if they are going to come out with a new version compatible with Vista?

thanks

Folks who UPGRADE from XP to Vista while G3.5 is installed are having limited luck... a few files missing here and there that can be searched out and moved to the correct locations. Also, turning off UAC seems to help in some situations. Anyone who does a clean install of Vista seems to be having major problems re-installing various bits of non-Microsoft software.

For the proud owner of a new 'puter that CAME with Vista, the only thing I can think of would be to install G3.5 on an XP machine and then copy the files to the Vista box directly. It looks like it's really an installer issue more than anything, but I'm not a developer anymore, so who knows? Actually... I don't even use Vista. I'm quite happy with XP running on my iMac!

This has got to be the first time ever that I didn't run right out and upgrade when a new OS was released... Is that "wisdom" or "laziness" that's coming with my older age???

-Case

CanCanCase said:
For the proud owner of a new 'puter that CAME with Vista, the only thing I can think of would be to install G3.5 on an XP machine and then copy the files to the Vista box directly.
I would advise against this course of action. You may end up with most of the files, but you will not end up with a complete installation. Essential registry entries will be missing, for example, and you will probably have other problems on top of that (such as older Add-Ons not installing properly).

As I understand it, if you disable user access control in Vista before installing all should be well.

Ryan Douglas said:
I would advise against this course of action. You may end up with most of the files, but you will not end up with a complete installation. Essential registry entries will be missing, for example, and you will probably have other problems on top of that (such as older Add-Ons not installing properly).

As I understand it, if you disable user access control in Vista before installing all should be well.
Sorry Ryan... I didn't mean to step on KE's toes there. I just re-read my post and realized I didn't make it sound impossible enough.
The gang at my LCS have been playing with this setup for a week now, and you're right... the registry edits (hacks) they've had to dream up are unbelievable...

-Case

Thanks for the info guys.

I think I will wait till they make a version for Vista.

I dont know much about computers. I just inow I dont want to spend the money for the sim if I am going to have problems running it....

Vista experience

I have a Dell XPS 410 which came with Vista home premium installed. I was able to install G3.5 without a hitch. The only problem I have is that the auto update will not work. I called tech support and they said it is a known issue which they will fix. FYI, I could not get G2 to work on Vista, and tech support said they couldn't get it to work either. They do not consider support for G2 a high priority, so don't look for a Vista upgrade soon.

Howie

howgil said:
I have a Dell XPS 410 which came with Vista home premium installed. I was able to install G3.5 without a hitch. The only problem I have is that the auto update will not work. I called tech support and they said it is a known issue which they will fix. FYI, I could not get G2 to work on Vista, and tech support said they couldn't get it to work either. They do not consider support for G2 a high priority, so don't look for a Vista upgrade soon.

Howie

I had the same problem.You need to go to control panel and click on "user accounts" and disable "uac" user account control.Once you are finished upgrading g3.5,I would advise you to turn uac back on.

Brian8474 said:
I had the same problem.You need to go to control panel and click on "user accounts" and disable "uac" user account control.Once you are finished upgrading g3.5,I would advise you to turn uac back on.

Worked great for me as well.... thank you!

Real Flight G3 Wont Work With Vista!!!!!!!!!

I am having major problems trying to get R.F. G-3 to run in Vista it wont even let me update to G-3.5.
are there any patches available yet? I have even tried uninstalling and reinstalling 3 or 4 times and have even tried turning off the UAC in control panel user account settings and still the same thing. here the errors.

error 1. could not delete c:\program file\realflightg3\onlinecache\%installdir%\realflight.exe412! file not copied.

error 2. KEError 21014: there was an error copying to c:\program files\realflightg3\realflight.exe. make sure the file is not write protected or in use.

I am running a laptop with Vista Home Premium, Pentium Core 2 Duo 1.6 Ghz 2Gigs ram Nvidia GeForce 7600 256MB video
plenty enough to run R/F G-3. everything works great on my other laptop with XP M.C.E. :(
please help

Last edited:
Vista Compatibility

Are you guys saying that Vista Premium is required or will any version work with G3.5?

I purchased 3.5 around New Years and was looking for a new PC when Vista rolled out!

Stuck in between OS's. I've run 2.0 for years on XP Home trouble free, please advise!

Thanks, Jeff

I have installed g3 on my new laptop that has vista basic, and it installed and works fine, only I am missing some of the aircraft. I tried to install the vol 3 addon disk and it wont install. I hope they find a way to work this problem. I purchased vol 3 addon for the raptor heli's. I may just have to keep it installed on my desktop as well, That still has xp and it will stay that way.

~SnApRoLl said:
I am having major problems trying to get R.F. G-3 to run in Vista it wont even let me update to G-3.5.
are there any patches available yet? I have even tried uninstalling and reinstalling 3 or 4 times and have even tried turning off the UAC in control panel user account settings and still the same thing. here the errors.

error 1. could not delete c:\program file\realflightg3\onlinecache\%installdir%\realflight.exe412! file not copied.

error 2. KEError 21014: there was an error copying to c:\program files\realflightg3\realflight.exe. make sure the file is not write protected or in use.

I am running a laptop with Vista Home Premium, Pentium Core 2 Duo 1.6 Ghz 2Gigs ram Nvidia GeForce 7600 256MB video
plenty enough to run R/F G-3. everything works great on my other laptop with XP M.C.E. :(
please help

Make sure you completely uninstall g3 and remove everything completely. Then re-install check your c drive and be sure nothing is there.That should be all you need to do.

Well, I installed Vista on my PC, complete overhaul, not the upgrade. Like stated in this and other threads, all I did was to disable the user account control. RF was the easiest installation I've done so far, getting the software back on my pc. Interesting enough, Adobe Acrobat reader would not install until I re-enabled UAC. My brand new Sony DVD-RAM that I just bought last week is not Vista compatible. Well, the drive itself is, Nero v6 that came with it is not. But, like I said, G3 installed just fine. I disabled UAC, installed G3, loaded EP2 to get to the version that upgrade comes with. I figured (and maybe wrongly) that would reduce the download needed to update to the latest G3.5 version, since EP updates to a newer version than my G3 discs were.

I am running Vista Ultimate on a Dell XPS M1710 Laptop and have problem with Computer recognizing my InterLink Plus Controller..

No matter what I do, the computer will not recognize my Controller. Both the Tx Interface Light and USB Light are on..

Are any one out there having the same problem.. It worked perfectly well on my old Desktop a month ago.

G3 to G3.5 on Vista

I upgraded to Vista Home Premium and here's my 2c.

:cool: I was unable to upgrade to 3.5 as a standard user, but running the program as administrator let me perform the upgrade normally.

:confused: I have a couple of the add-ons disks from version 2. I installed these, and I can't find the airplanes unless I run as Administrator (Anyone from Knife edge care to help here?) I want my Nobler back.

:cool: I downloaded some other planes via the forums here, and have had no trouble running them as a standard user.

:eek: The video seems to work better. Under my old XP pro and Direct X 9, the remote hills seemed to be flashing into and out of existence. Now they don't do this. However, the planes seemed to have a texture to them.

Ryan Douglas said:

As Ryan said, I turned of UAC, installed G3, and its been running famously ever since.

Back