With or W/O Interlink?

trhodes

I'm wanting to buy RF8 but not sure if I need/want the Interlink controller.

I have RF7.5 and it runs well on my Dell XPS with a Spektrum DX7 (G2) tethered to it.

If I understand the new changes correctly, I can get a Spektrum dongle (WS1000) and connect wirelessly and run RF8 with my DX7. Down the road I do want to go VR with this.

So my question is; what does the Interlink controller do that I can't do with the DX7 and dongle? Why do I need the Interlink?

Thanks for any insight on this.

Todd

The only reason for the Interlink would be if you wanted a native wired controller. Other than that your DX7 will do everything. I have a DX9 and an OrangeRX DSMX wireless USB dongle for mine. I do have the older Interlink Elite from previous versions as it was required to run the simulator.

You no longer have to have the Interlink, but we still recommend it. It's more convenient than using your own transmitter.

Jim

Thanks for the replies. Just what I needed. I'll skip the 'convenience' and use the TX that I fly with all the time.

I do use the Interlink Elite most of the time as it's more convenient and since I sim for several hours a day I don't want to wear out my DX9.

Advantages of the InterLink-X

Jim mentioned convenience, and that's certainly part of it. I'd like to expand on that a bit. (This is off the top of my head so I may be omitting something obvious and/or noteworthy.) Here are some advantages of the InterLink-X:
  • 10 channels - This is enough to control all available functionality on all stock RF8 models. I'm talking about things like flaps, smoke, throttle hold, camera tilt, retracts, and flight modes. If you have fewer than 8 channels on your radio, you'll have to make some choices about which things you'd like to be able to access via switches and knobs and which you can accept relegating to a keyboard shortcut (I'm referring here to something we call Virtual Channels).
  • UI controls - The InterLink-X has buttons which allow you to open/close and navigate certain menus, enabling you to do things like change aircraft/airports without having to set down the controller.
  • Reset/Rewind - In RF8 this can be bound to a channel on your radio, which is a new option! But then it takes up a whole channel that could otherwise be used for flying. And a switch or knob is not as natural a method of using this feature as the button on the InterLink (a quick press resets and holding it down rewinds).
  • Always ready to go - The InterLink never needs charging and won't wear down your battery. Further, it's always at your computer, not in your field box.
  • Wear and tear - Over the lifetime of your radio, it is easy for me to think it would accrue more sim hours than real-world flying time at 10-20 minutes a pop.
Some of these might seem like little things. They probably all add up to someone using the simulator more often, though, which is a good thing.

Support for using your own radio is obviously a core RealFlight feature. I don't want to downplay it too much! It works, and if you're happy using the sim that way, that's great! Far be it from me to tell someone they're doing it wrong. We do hear from a number of people, though, who thought that's what they wanted, and only realized later that they actually preferred using the InterLink. So I want to share that perspective plus the above data points to better help people make their own educated decisions.

If you're going to use your own radio with RealFlight, please, please, please do yourself (and us) a favor and read the Radio Interface Help document we've written on that topic! It will help you understand the options before you and get the most out of your experience. For example, did you know that you can opt to use your own rates and expo settings while still using RealFlight's built-in software radio for all other functionality like channel mixing? This is the best option for most people. The Radio Interface Help document is a .pdf available from RealFlight's Help menu. (If you happen to have a Tactic TTX600 or 610, there are additional documents with information specific to those models.)

Back