Worth Updating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Bill Stuntz mentioned, CD's were used earlier to distribute RealFlight Software.
RealFlight G4/4.5 was released as a four CD Set.
RealFlight RF-8 comes as a single DVD.
Expansion Packs and Mega Packs are Compatible with RF-8.
The 5 Add-On CD's should Not be installed on RealFlight RF-8.
They were replaced by "Updated" Files, in the Five Free Add-On's, Download,
designed to work with G4 and Later, Versions of RealFlight.
Heres a link that should help:
https://forums.realflight.com/showpost.php?p=263426&postcount=4

Last edited:
I have an old copy of RealFlight -- it's ver 4.5. I also bought a number of expansion packs. The program fell into disuse due to an old PC which just didn't have the power to run the program properly. Having just built a new PC, of course a much faster machine, I'm now interested in installing RealFlight. Since I originally spent over $200 for the basic program, plus more for the expansion packs, I have quite an investment in this old software. So what's my best course of action now? Should I consider using the old program, or will it even run under Windows 10? Even if it can, is the newest version of RealFLight so improved, would I be foolish to not upgrade? Any thoughts would be appreciated......

John

I would definitely upgrade to 8. Realflight has had ups & downs where physics and minor bugs/issues are concerned. IMO g4 & 4.5 were low points on both counts.
Also, each new generation brings with it some improvements & new features. The difference between 7.5 and 8 is a giant leap... much more noticable difference than many previous generations. Improved physics and the addition of VR alone are well worth the cost of upgrading.

As Bill Stuntz mentioned, CD's were used earlier to distribute RealFlight Software.
RealFlight G4/4.5 was released as a four CD Set.
RealFlight RF-8 comes as a single DVD.
Expansion Packs and Mega Packs are Compatible with RF-8.
The 5 Add-On CD's should Not be installed on RealFlight RF-8.
They were replaced by "Updated" Files, in the Five Free Add-On's, designed to work with G4 and Later, Versions of RealFlight.
Heres a link that should help:
https://forums.realflight.com/showpost.php?p=263426&postcount=4

Thanks for all this. I will go check the link you gave shortly.

John

I would definitely upgrade to 8. Realflight has had ups & downs where physics and minor bugs/issues are concerned. IMO g4 & 4.5 were low points on both counts.
Also, each new generation brings with it some improvements & new features. The difference between 7.5 and 8 is a giant leap... much more noticable difference than many previous generations. Improved physics and the addition of VR alone are well worth the cost of upgrading.

Oh, I am committed to getting the latest RF -- I've been wanting to do this for a long while, but only recently built a PC with decent speed. It's just that when I come into something stone cold, a topic I know almost nothing about, I have two choices: Go it alone and go through numerous iterations until I get things optimized; or second, ask those who have "been there, done that" -- AKA profit from those who are experienced. I really prefer the latter! :)

You can use your existing expansion packs as well as your older controller. There are also five add-ons you can download and install for free.

Sorry... just a bit more on this.

Would even very old expansion packs (say from RF G3) work okay and offer a benefit to RG 8? Just checking!

John

Would even very old expansion packs (say from RF G3) work okay and offer a benefit to RG 8? Just checking!

John

I have all the expansion packs and add-on's and if you can use the built-in editor there's some value in them, if you like the particular plane. But I've found the physics in 'most' of the older planes needs work, so without redoing their physics I don't think much of them. There comes a time to move on, and now's a good time to do it.

John

I have the original RF Expansion pack #1, copyright 2006 for G3 and up, installed on RF8 and it works fine. I mainly use this for a few of the heli's in it and they seem to work fine with RF8.

Just my opinion but I would not worry about too much more of this. Either buy the RF8 software or just reinstall your old G4.5. For basic RC practice there is nothing wrong with 4.5 imho.

There was a big change in the environment from 3 to 4, and another big change from 4 to 6, I can not see any deference from 6 to now.
Some of the models I made for 3.5, work fine in RF8, others need much tweaking to fly correctly .

I have all the expansion packs and add-on's and if you can use the built-in editor there's some value in them, if you like the particular plane. But I've found the physics in 'most' of the older planes needs work, so without redoing their physics I don't think much of them. There comes a time to move on, and now's a good time to do it.

I don't know what planes or airfields might be in these old Exp Packs, so I don't know of anything they might have of value to me. Maybe I'll just forgo installing them for now.

I have the original RF Expansion pack #1, copyright 2006 for G3 and up, installed on RF8 and it works fine. I mainly use this for a few of the heli's in it and they seem to work fine with RF8.

Just my opinion but I would not worry about too much more of this. Either buy the RF8 software or just reinstall your old G4.5. For basic RC practice there is nothing wrong with 4.5 imho.

I just received RF8 and am ready to install it. I did think of loading the old version, but after just building a new PC, it seemed a shame to do that.

As for old Exp Packs, I don't know how much space they take up, nor whether there are any downsides to installing them. Some of my Exp Packs are from the G3 era, and I have a slightly newer one from the G4 (or maybe it's from the G4.5 time frame). If they are reasonably small, and they won't cause any grief to RF8, I suppose there's no problem in trying them.

There was a big change in the environment from 3 to 4, and another big change from 4 to 6, I can not see any deference from 6 to now.
Some of the models I made for 3.5, work fine in RF8, others need much tweaking to fly correctly .

I wouldn't be happy to install an old Exp Pack and then find that the planes it provides need a lot of tweaking. Were that to occur, are Exp Packs easy to uninstall? And will they do so "cleanly"?

I wouldn't be happy to install an old Exp Pack and then find that the planes it provides need a lot of tweaking. Were that to occur, are Exp Packs easy to uninstall? And will they do so "cleanly"?

For goodness sake please just install your RF8 and get it going ok. There are heaps of aircraft and flying fields, more than any previous RF version. If you get tired of all those there a also lots in the RF8 swap pages.

Lets see if we can overthink this!
If I were drowning, I don't want you to be the only human in sight, trying to decide if it is better to throw me a rope you see laying there, go back 6 steps and grab the float, or go back to you're ride and call for help, HELP, HE is drowning, what should I do?

Mate, if you were really drowning I'd do everything possible to save ya. However, if you were only in a few feet of water I might tell you to just stand up (if you are able) and walk out yourself, lol!

For goodness sake please just install your RF8 and get it going ok. There are heaps of aircraft and flying fields, more than any previous RF version. If you get tired of all those there a also lots in the RF8 swap pages.

For goodness sake...? RF8 has been installed here for a week or so now, and I can see that it has many aircraft and flying sites. Great. So I have been having fun with these. Then I found 5 add-on packages online which were said to add even more richness to the program. So since they were quite small, I installed those Add-ons as well. A quick check seemed to indicate that they did not load any duplicate planes or sites.

With so much to choose from now, I'm not sure about the need for any Exp Packs (old or new). However I'd better not ask for an opinion on that lest someone take umbridge.

Last edited:
Lets see if we can overthink this!
If I were drowning, I don't want you to be the only human in sight, trying to decide if it is better to throw me a rope you see laying there, go back 6 steps and grab the float, or go back to you're ride and call for help, HELP, HE is drowning, what should I do?

Neglecting the cute remark, you may not recall how overwhelming RF was when you were a newby (and now it's even more so). If you are somehow bored by this, let me just say thanks for your earlier helpful suggestions and bid you a fond farewell.

For goodness sake...? RF8 has been installed here for a week or so now, and I can see that it has many aircraft and flying sites. Great. So I have been having fun with these. Then I found 5 add-on packages online which were said to add even more richness to the program. So since they were quite small, I installed those Add-ons as well. A quick check seemed to indicate that they did not load any duplicate planes or sites.

With so much to choose from now, I'm not sure about the need for any Exp Packs (old or new). However I'd better not ask for an opinion on that lest someone take umbridge.

Great, so you got it up and running ok before you posted your earlier question. Addons are not really necessary as I told you earlier but you have installed these anyway.

Please just have fun, Experiment a bit and avoid posting any more unnecessary questions (unless you are really drowning), thanks.

Great, so you got it up and running ok before you posted your earlier question. Addons are not really necessary as I told you earlier but you have installed these anyway.

Please just have fun, Experiment a bit and avoid posting any more unnecessary questions (unless you are really drowning), thanks.

I appreciate the help from everyone here -- thanks to all. However, speaking of unnecessary, to suggest that a new user have fun and experiment, etc. seems rather obvious. As a self-admitted newby, my experimenting has been extremely basic, but I have been trying. Being judgemental and putting down a new user because he/she doesn't ask questions up to your standards strikes me as inappropriate. So if I do any other posting here, I hope that you will just bypass reading those questions or comments which you deem too unsophisticated or not to your taste. Obviously I don't appreciate low level flaming -- no one does......

Sorry mate, unlike your last post, there was no flaming intended. I only meant it as a request for you to avoid asking the same ?'s over and over again.

Imho, even a newbie can successfully install and use RF8. All you need to do is read the startup and check that your pc meets requirements. Then, refer to the full realflight 8 manual that should be in your realflight/document folder (or google to find an online copy).

I'm sorry if any of this ruffles your feathers but biting the hand that tries to pull you out of the shark tank is not often a good idea, lol!

In any case, good luck and have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back