Worth Upgrading from v4.5?

Haole

Hey guys,

Long time no checkie on KE. I fired up up 4.5 last night for the first time in a good while and enjoyed the practice. Life's been full of other stuff lately so I'm pretty far behind the times WRT what KE has been producing.

That said, what are your impressions of 5.5 over 4.5? Would you recommend an upgrade for a user who's not interested in combat but is interested in RC simulation? Have there been bug improvements and whatnot?

TIA for any input,

C

Haole said:
Hey guys,

Long time no checkie on KE. I fired up up 4.5 last night for the first time in a good while and enjoyed the practice. Life's been full of other stuff lately so I'm pretty far behind the times WRT what KE has been producing.

That said, what are your impressions of 5.5 over 4.5? Would you recommend an upgrade for a user who's not interested in combat but is interested in RC simulation? Have there been bug improvements and whatnot?

TIA for any input,

C

G6 is about 7months away.
You've waited this long, sure you don't want to wait a little longer? :p

phrank said:

Yeah, I was wondering that too. Wasn't sure if they were sticking with the Holiday rollout schedule still. Thanks Phrank.

C

My own 2 cents is that if you have G3 the G5 update is always worth the upgrade to get most of the features of G4 (you lose events). If you are not into combat and just fly as a simulator (without using the in-cockpit view), however, an upgrade to G5 gets you little. On a further note as a designer, I still build all of my planes in G4 and then export from G5 only if I need a G5 feature. This is because I do not like the cartoon like aspect of G5's editor.

Doug

phrank said:
Thats my plan of action :D

BTW......I was looking at Hobby Lobby's web site last night and they are saying there that
the G5 upgrade is Sold out and " Discontinued" ? :confused:

I can understand that their supply may have flown off the shelves
but discontinued ?

Last edited:
Maj. Numbskully said:
Thats my plan of action :D

BTW......I was looking at Hobby Lobby's web site last night and they are saying there that
the G5 upgrade is Sold out and " Discontinued" ? :confused:

I can understand that their supply may have flown off the shelves
but discontinued ?

Weird. You would figure if anyone knew it was discontinued, that the distributors would mention it, but I don't see any mention of it.

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/realflight/gpmz4450.html

http://www.gpsoftware.com/

I can't get www.realflight.com to load nor can I get www.greatplanes.com or www.hobbico.com to load. Maybe they fell of the earth. :( I was getting excited about G6 coming out later this year.

I guess this is a bad sign. 2012 is actually happening! Everybody panic!!! Stock up on water, batteries and canned food!!! OMG!!! I'm freaking out! What are we gonna do? The typical UPS holds about 15 minutes of power once the power grid goes down. Ahhhhhh!!!!!!!! Realflight sold for $249.99 at hobby-lobby!!!!! Seriously? Were they selling this to people that are using the internet for the very first time in their life? http://www.hobby-lobby.com/realflight_rc_flight_simulator.htm?pSearchQueryId=1284583 I'm guessing they make it look like Realflight is the WRONG way to go and that you are better off going with another sim. I don't know why, but that's how it looks to me.

Attachments

• wth.JPG
    wth.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 12
  • hobbico.JPG
    hobbico.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 9
  • greatplanes.JPG
    greatplanes.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 7
  • ripoff.JPG
    ripoff.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Well I personally really want G5.5 but am going to hold out for G6.
I wish they would drop the prices the older the software gets, then I might consider just picking up G5.5 upgrade now.

(Are you listening Knife Edge?)

I'm curious why you think they should drop the price over time? What software company does that?

Yeah Realflight provides a decently priced upgrade path, and you can apply Tower Discount codes on top of that!

"Holding out" ends up costing you MORE at times.

jeffpn said:
I'm curious why you think they should drop the price over time? What software company does that?

Well, practically all of em... :D

I could buy FSX today for 1/3 of the cost of what it was when first released. RF is a little different though, they support a very niche market and really have little incentive to lower the price, I wouldn't if I were them.

At least I wouldn't unless I started losing market share to competitors.

Lowering prices to reflect demand is one thing. I was thinking of software like Windows. Their prices don't drop over time, do they? Doesn't Windows 7 sell for what it sold for when it was first released? Seems it still sells for what I paid for it last year. I did buy a laptop with XP on it when Vista was about to be released. The laptop came with a free upgrade to Vista. RF has historically had the same deal just before a new major release.

yup
holding out is a gamble , as far as what we may have to pay for G6 ...I'm hoping that there will still be a discounted upgrade path for us 4.5 users .....I really have no choice but to wait ........but thats another story

jeffpn said:
Lowering prices to reflect demand is one thing. I was thinking of software like Windows. Their prices don't drop over time, do they? Doesn't Windows 7 sell for what it sold for when it was first released? Seems it still sells for what I paid for it last year. I did buy a laptop with XP on it when Vista was about to be released. The laptop came with a free upgrade to Vista. RF has historically had the same deal just before a new major release.

You can't group RF in the same category as an operating system. That's just not even remotely comparable. I wouldn't compare it to MS Office either. MS did however lower the price pretty aggressively on their flight simulator product as mentioned. Heck MS gives away their programming dev studio products for nothin.

But anyway...

xljedi said:
You can't group RF in the same category as an operating system. That's just not even remotely comparable. I wouldn't compare it to MS Office either. MS did however lower the price pretty aggressively on their flight simulator product as mentioned. Heck MS gives away their programming dev studio products for nothin.

But anyway...

Ummmmm,
FSX can't even be grouped in the same category as Realflight either.

One is a Scale Sim Game, the other is R/C.

Try Again...

I'm talking about software in general, so yes, I can group it with all other software. Price still comes down to supply and demand. If software of any type won't sell, the price must come down. If the price gets so low that the software cannot make an expected profit, the software goes away. If software can always sell for the release price, why would the price go down?

phrank said:
Ummmmm,
FSX can't even be grouped in the same category as Realflight either.

One is a Scale Sim Game, the other is R/C.

Try Again...

Oh good grief... C'mon they're both flight sims, what exactly is first person view RC anyway? If anything I'm giving RF a bump here even putting it in the same category as FSX.

No need to go on with this banter though. I've already said the same thing Jeff just said back in my first post: RF serves a niche market and if I were them, (barring some sort of market price competition) I wouldn't lower the price either.

RF continues (I think) to sell itself on avoided cost rather than comparable cost of other types of simulation games/software. It gets the job done, I wouldn't be too thrilled with it if I didn't actually have or aspire to have various R/C models.

Does sorta make you scratch your head a bit though about some of the non-realistic multi-player combat stuff. Doesn't really simulate anything, and as a game by itself, there are far better and cheaper options... just sort of an amusing sideshow I guess.

Last edited:
jeffpn said:
I'm talking about software in general, so yes, I can group it with all other software. Price still comes down to supply and demand. If software of any type won't sell, the price must come down. If the price gets so low that the software cannot make an expected profit, the software goes away. If software can always sell for the release price, why would the price go down?

Sorry, I thought I was responding to your original statement:

MS, Atari, Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, SquareUnix, and the list goes on...

I can't actually think of a simulation that hasn't generally dropped in price with time. Collectors edition of Harpoon, or some of the other very niche turn-based boardgame ports, maybe?

But we agree, RF is a little different in its target market, and I also acknowledge that you've fleshed out your meaning above, and obviously you didn't literally mean what you said in the quoted text. I can see no reason why they'd lower their price at this time. If I were them, I wouldn't.

Last edited:
Lemme ask folks this though...

Granted it's an upgrade from 4.5 to 5.5 (or 6.0 now) thread. Seems like it would not be hijacking to add to the discussion.

What would prompt a 5.5 user to upgrade to 6.0? ...have they provided any teasers on what might be expected of 6.0?

xljedi said:
Lemme ask folks this though...

Granted it's an upgrade from 4.5 to 5.5 (or 6.0 now) thread. Seems like it would not be hijacking to add to the discussion.

What would prompt a 5.5 user to upgrade to 6.0? ...have they provided any teasers on what might be expected of 6.0?
Nope, and they never do until release is imminent.
Unless the BETA testers want to leak something. ;)

Wishing for some sort of wireless support myself. :D

Back