Yes, it's ANOTHER MULTIPLAYER post!

jim_ag3y

Hi fellows. I have had RF 4.5 for over a year now, and truly LOVE IT! But recently, I have been trying to make the multi-player function work for me.

My problem seems to be different than so many of the other problems and solutions that I have carefully read. When searching for a session to join, I only receive information about a couple of sessions, rather than a greater number.

A friend who lives only about a mile from me, and has the same ISP can see as many as 16 sessions in progress ( the other night, for instance ) and when I do a search at the same time, I will only see two or three ! ! !

Furthermore, if I start a session as "host", he cannot see me, but someone from who knows where, will join it and merrily fly on my field !

I have done all the port forwarding, etc. as recommended, but cannot understand what is limiting, but not totally blocking my access to multi-player sessions!

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance. Jim AG3Y

You both should upgrade to the latest version. Or at least the same version. That's why you cannot see the same sessions available.

Thanks for the quick reply, Jeff. I am using RF 4.5.xxx and that is the latest version that I can use of 4.5. I just did a complete reload of the software following a HD crash, and spent about 2 hours getting the upgrades from the RF site, along with all the extra planes and fields in the packages.

I had that same problem before, and thought that the reload to a brand new HD would fix the situation.

My friend bought 5.X and also received the 4.0 package, upgraded to 4.5.X It doesn't matter which package he uses, he still sees a lot more sessions, and DOESN'T see me !

Here is the info from the Technical support page. I hope it is in the right format:

System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090804-1435)
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 3.20GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM
DX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS
MFR: NVIDIA
Version: 6.14.0011.7813 (English)
Date: 9/17/2008 23:55:00, 6057472 bytes
CD-ROM (?:\) HP DVD Writer 1140r (?)
Installed in: E:\Program Files\RealFlightG4
Free Disk Space (E:\): 275717 mb free
Launcher Version: 1.00.041
LauncherHelper Version: 1.00.326
RealFlight G4: 4.50.050

Right now, I am only seeing two sessions in multi-player. Considering the weather, etc. I am betting there are a lot more out there that I am not seeing! Am I right ?

Best regards, and thanks. Jim AG3Y

jim_ag3y said:
Thanks for the quick reply, Jeff. I am using RF 4.5.xxx and that is the latest version that I can use of 4.5.
Jim AG3Y

What are the .xxx numbers on both your and your friends versions?

It makes a difference!

See my post above. You mean that all I can see are other hosts with 4.50.050 ? ? ?

Man, there seem to be very few of those out there!

You would think that all FS 4.5.X could talk to every other 4.5.X . Why the compatibility issue ?

I do know that he did try to run a multi-player session with his 5.0.X and was haulted with the message, "You do not have the latest upgrade installed. . . " or words to that effect. But with his 4.5 he saw 16 sessions while at the same time, I was only seeing two. Very interesting problem!

I will have him post the info about his two versions when he gets home.

Jim

Last edited:
His 4.5.xxx is different than your version. There were alot of tweaks to the mp portion of 4.5, which rendered older versions incompatible with newer versions.

Let me ask the question more directly, then. Forget my buddy's machine for the moment.

Are you telling me that the ONLY sessions that I am going to see when I do a search of the internet for host sessions are those with EXACTLY the same rev. version as I am running ? 4.50.050 ?

That seems to be a serious compatibility problem to me .

I can understand why 4.5 might not be able to multi-play with 5.X software, but it SHOULD be able to work with other 4.5 hosts!

If it can't, that would be like trying to use a web browser that could not download a page unless it was produced with a very limited version of software that was supported by that particular browser. That would be a MAJOR headache to users of the WWW !

JMHO Jim

If everybody updated to the latest version (which is a free update, a no brainer), it would not be an issue, right? Like I said, when 4.5 was out, they revamped the way mp works. In working out various issues discovered in each successive release, mp was only possible with the exact same version. Just update to the latest release and be done with it.

Your analogy is flawed. RF only works with RF, not with any software you can find. The update is free, and available to install. Just do it.

Last edited:
OK, Jeff, it is telling me that I HAVE the latest version! Not planning on 5.0 with this computer, so I will have to be satisfied with your answer.

I will discuss the compatibility problem with my buddy. I really am interested in getting him to be able to see my host session, since I am interested in helping him to learn R/C flying , virtually ! The RF FS was a GREAT help to me a couple of years ago, and I hope it will be for him, as well.

That is the real reason I would like this multi-player thing to work for us.

And it appears that you have answered my question about how many other sessions I can see. It would be interesting to see just what versions of RF are being used by those who are running multi-sessions, pretty much for the "game" aspect of the FS.

Best wishes, Jim

jim_ag3y said:
If it can't, that would be like trying to use a web browser that could not download a page unless it was produced with a very limited version of software that was supported by that particular browser. That would be a MAJOR headache to users of the WWW !

JMHO Jim

Yes it is. Lots of personal web pages and small mom and pop businesses are amazingly browser specific. (Even some big businesses.) It's sad.

However, KE wasn't even trying to define an open standard like HTML. To my knowledge, they make no claims of cross-version, cross-platform, cross-OS support.

Final thought: make sure your friend is also on G4.50.050. Then you'll see each other's sessions. Alternatively, you could use your launcher program to revert to the version he's using, but I don't know why you'd want to do that.

jeffpn said:
If everybody updated to the latest version (which is a free update, a no brainer), it would not be an issue, right? Like I said, when 4.5 was out, they revamped the way mp works. In working out various issues discovered in each successive release, mp was only possible with the exact same version. Just update to the latest release and be done with it.

BINGO!
I can't figure out why everyone does not update to the latest version??? :confused: :eek:

Interesting comment. For most, I assume RF is first and foremost a simulator and people stay current to get the latest bugs fixes and physics tweaks. However, if you do a lot of MP, I guess you might care about sessions. However, if you don't stay with the latest version, how to do you decide which version to stay with? Try every one of the last um 5?? versions and count sessions... over what time frame???

Then there are those that do not own a legitimate copy,
thus cannot upgrade to the latest and greatest version.

phrank said:

Heh... methinks, that many complaints about not "wanting" to upgrade fall into that catagory..

phrank said:
I've been thinking that this whole thread, but I have no idea.

Well, I did want to give you feedback. You are absolutely correct about having matching versions! My friend had his upgraded to 4.5.05.048, and it was NOT seeing my software. The second he upgraded to .050, he was able to see my host session!

Incidently, he caught the information about the matching software from the instruction book, and I had completely missed that point! Sorry that I had to come and ask about something that you have already addressed in your documentation !

I have read the rest of the comments in this thread with great interest. Nor can I understand why someone would NOT want to upgrade to the highest level of software revision they can get, unless, as someone is saying, they are using unregistered ( pirate ? ) software and hardware or are attempting to join as many sessions as possible. I can imagine how someone can pirate the software, but it would be some trick to cop the controller !

In conclusion, my best wishes to you and the gang. You have an outstanding product that has done a world of good for me, and many others who want the best teaching aid for R/C flying that they can find. Don't stray too far from that ideal, is all I can say !

Jim S. AG3Y

jim_ag3y said:
The second he upgraded to .050, he was able to see my host session!
Told ya so!!

As far as speculating why someone would not want to upgrade, I just can't think of any legitimate reason, given that they know that an update is available. At first to me, it seemed like you were skirting that issue.
jim_ag3y said:
Forget my buddy's machine for the moment.
It seemed to me that you felt that upgrading was not an option, and were looking for an alternate solution. I'm glad you have it working now.

Last edited:
Back