Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Keep Ground in View

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Manual

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters

davehour

Hi guys,

The Zoom Type used in RF6 affects the way models feel in the sim. I would like to know the community preference regarding Zoom Type. If you want, you can post the reasons why you prefer a specific Zoom Type.

Thank you very much for your contributions.

Regards,

David

Last edited:
Hi guys,

The Zoom Type used in RF6 affects the way models feel in the sim.

Huh???? :confused:

Zoom does nothing to the physics and thereby the "feel" of the models.

That's like saying that your real RC plane flies differently if it is close to you versus far away.

I prefer the "Manual" Zoom Type because the heli (what I fly) appears smoother flying when doing 3D than with "Keep Ground in View". Although the Zoom Type doesn't affect the physics, it does change (at least for me) the way the heli appears on the screen and hence the way it feels. A simple test is to fly a heli doing 3D in the "Manual" Zoom Type and switch to "Keep Ground in View". The heli won't feel the same because in "Manual" you won't have the zooming that happens to keep the ground on the screen. Anyway, I would like to know other's opinion and this is why I made the poll.

In regards to what I edited in the first post, it was to add "Thank you very much for your contributions."

David

Last edited:
I prefer manual zoomed in about 25%. I feel its the most lifelike. I have never flown a model in RL and always kept the ground in view. It forces you to learn spacial awareness. I can fly a model in RF in manual and zoomed in very tight even and still know where the runway is and its relative bearing.

I prefer manual zoomed in about 25%. I feel its the most lifelike. I have never flown a model in RL and always kept the ground in view. It forces you to learn spacial awareness. I can fly a model in RF in manual and zoomed in very tight even and still know where the runway is and its relative bearing.

In real life, I don't always keep the ground in view either. However, there are clues that simply are not present on the simulation. For example, you know the angle of your neck both horizontally (azimuth) and vertically. Also, in real life, your actual viewing angle is typically quite a bit larger than what we see through the screen in Real Flight (or other sims) unless we are zoomed way back, in which case the model looks unrealistically small for the distance.

I also sometimes use manual view in Real Flight, but typically it is for doing things like taking screen shots.

I certainly am capable of losing track where I am in manual flight mode, especially if I go very close to vertically above me. That is not to say I have a great deal of trouble flying in manual mode. I don't. But it is certainly not as easy as doing the same thing in real life.

I use keep ground in view because of the neck position thing. Hard to orient in the sim that way but ideally you should not ever really have that issue or you are really flying high right over the flight line. I also set my view angle to 75 degrees to help with peripheral cues as well.

If you are trying to use this software as a simulator to teach yourself how to fly RC. Would you advocate auto zoom for newcomers? I realize that they will learn either way, but I just don't know of anyone with the ability to zoom in and out on a model in real life to keep the ground in view. Now when I try "keep ground in view" it feels very weird to me. I find lining up on final is completely different because using auto zoom leads to flying the model much further out. I started in that mode long ago but started using manual mode for better camera control for screenshots and ended up flying in that mode. Now when I fly for real i've noticed how much closer to RL it is.

It forces you to learn spacial awareness. I can fly a model in RF in manual and zoomed in very tight even and still know where the runway is and its relative bearing.

Yup, IMHO this is one of the best things the sim will teach you after you've mastered the basics.

I have never really messed around much with zoom settings - until today. I always fly in KGIV mode, but after trying the other two now I'm a little torn. I watched what happens to the zoom level in the two that aren't manual in a couple of fields I built. Since I built them and fly in KGIV they look normal from the pilot spawn to the plane, but the magnification is somewhere around 3+ and as you get farther away or higher up it zooms out to, you know, keep ground in view? And I got used to the zooming and never really noticed it.

If I go manual and set it to 1 (reading somewhere that was normal eyesight), everything looks too far away. But I gotta admit I do like it not zooming around when I'm trying to land.

I'm sure it's just a matter of perspective (npi'd). Gonna try manual for awhile zoomed in to 1 and see how it goes. Certainly does seem more realistic.

Regards
Michael

remember you can? overlay views. i had some time ago posted pictures and info for G3.5, can you still do this in G6 ?

I use all 3. there isn't a selection for that. :p

I like Manual Zoom for heli flying so i keep it close in and I don't loose sight of it as well as pattern flying with airplanes. Keep ground in view is good for me when I fly planks as it gives me perspective as to where the ground is in relation to my plane, and i use Auto-zoom when i fly Micro heli's as they are too small to see on the fields that are in the sim and those are usually really, really close in when i fly them anyways when flying in the house.

Last edited:
Back