P-47 "Razorback"

pplace

I've been contemplating this build for a while now. Recently I've purchased the Top Flite Giant Scale P-47 (85" wing span) which I will convert into the "Razorback" version. I've also got my Robart retracts (mains and tail gear) along with a few other misc. components, the power will come from a G-62. I plan to finish the complete aircraft in "Flite Metal" (which replicates a bare aluminum skin)

This (both the 3D model build and the real life build) will be a long term project.....which I hope to make very accurately. I should be able to weigh each component and use that information in the G4.5 editor to represent this aircraft to it's most accurate potential. Unfortunately I don't plan to start the real world build until I have all the components purchased.

Attached are several pictures of my "projects" along with the planed CS

Attachments

• TFP-47 (1).jpg
    TFP-47 (1).jpg
    140 KB · Views: 97
  • TFP-47 (2).jpg
    TFP-47 (2).jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 70
  • P-47C Razorback (1).jpg
    P-47C Razorback (1).jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 105
  • P-47C Razorback (2).jpg
    P-47C Razorback (2).jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 69
  • P-47D-23-RA 10AF 1944.jpg
    P-47D-23-RA 10AF 1944.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 90
GREAT!!! I do enjoy a good P-47. I've wanted a detailed one of my own (real not RF). HAving the weighted parts will be fantastic. If you do not want to go pneumatic on those retracts there are LADO ones as well. They even have linear actuators to replace the pneumatic solinoids in your robart ones. Oregon scale aviation has a controller that will make them extend at programable speeds too. Could make things a bit lighter.
http://home.comcast.net/~buz.hampton/OSA/index.html
http://www.lado-tech.net/

Look forward to updates on both.

Willsonman, thanks for the links and info. I've read about lados in the past but I personally prefer the pneumatic route. With the correct valving, restrictors etc. a scale appearance is also easily achieved.....but again thanks for the thought and input.

bit more progress

Attachments

• P-47C Razorback (3).jpg
    P-47C Razorback (3).jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 75
  • P-47C Razorback (4).jpg
    P-47C Razorback (4).jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 65
  • P-47C Razorback (5).jpg
    P-47C Razorback (5).jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 58
Haole said:
Wow. Looking very nice, pplace!

willsonman said:
very nice wing fairings

Thanks guys.

To help achieve a better wing fillet, I've modeled the fuse, v-stab and wings as one object. This is a bit more work, but the results are worth it in my opinion. Later on I will cut the objects apart in the appropriate places.

Heeleycopter said:
Looking good!

Thanks,

I'm took a break over the weekend and "played" with my son (I figure it's one of the last nice weekend to get out and do stuff here in Minnesota)

I'm also at the point of trying to decide if I should model the full scale gear....or more so "mimic" the simple Robart gear?

I did use far more polys on the fuse than I normally would....(nearly double) but I really wanted a nice smooth surface (since there is a bit of personal interest on my part in this build)

pplace said:
Thanks,

I'm took a break over the weekend and "played" with my son (I figure it's one of the last nice weekend to get out and do stuff here in Minnesota)

I'm also at the point of trying to decide if I should model the full scale gear....or more so "mimic" the simple Robart gear?

I did use far more polys on the fuse than I normally would....(nearly double) but I really wanted a nice smooth surface (since there is a bit of personal interest on my part in this build)
Since you will be building and flying the RC model, and this is a flightsim for the purpose of leaning to fly the real models, you should do the 3D model as you are doing your RC P-47 Bird just a thought,either way it will be excellent,and thanks for all your aircraft you have on here.

My vote would be for the Robart. There are two letters before "Flight Sim" so I would go R/C all the way. Not to mention you have the exact weights for those puppies. 4.4 oz. I believe.

Attachments

• P-47C Razorback (6).jpg
    P-47C Razorback (6).jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 29
  • P-47C Razorback (7).jpg
    P-47C Razorback (7).jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 21
  • P-47C Razorback (8).jpg
    P-47C Razorback (8).jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 27
Mikeymike21 said:

I hid my "...." in white because I really didn't have anything to say in my post, no major progress really, I just wanted to update the renders.

In order to submit a post KE requires 4 characters I guess ....

Kmot said:
I admire you for tackling that big box of wood!
Yeah, it's always more enjoyable though.

Last edited:
Not too much to report, but I have managed to get all the control surfaces cut, tail gear doors, machine guns, and some minor tweaking here and there.

Note: I do plan on splitting the main gear door into two parts (upper and lower like full scale)

There is still a lot of work to do on this project but at least there is a bit of forward progress.

Attachments

• P-47C Razorback (9).jpg
    P-47C Razorback (9).jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 15
  • P-47C Razorback (10).jpg
    P-47C Razorback (10).jpg
    37 KB · Views: 28
  • P-47C Razorback (11).jpg
    P-47C Razorback (11).jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 21
pplace said:
Not too much to report, but I have managed to get all the control surfaces cut, tail gear doors, machine guns, and some minor tweaking here and there.

Note: I do plan on splitting the main gear door into two parts (upper and lower like full scale)

There is still a lot of work to do on this project but at least there is a bit of forward progress.

Thats looking real nice, whats the triangle count at? Are you gonna do a scale engine or an RC engine??

Back