Trainer project suggestions

pplace

My P-47 Razorback project will soon be wrapping up. I've decided instead of jumping right into another large scale detailed project (my DC-3) I would like to possibly model an actual R/C model. I was thinking something like a trainer (electric or glow)

I will take requests here, but my only criteria would be that the requester have available "3-View" type photos at minimum, additional detail photos would be a great "extra" and may help in my selection.

I want to select a trainer / intermediate model. Something a newcomer into the hobby would have for his first model or two (no 3D planes, extras, edges, etc.)

Thanks

Thanx for asking

Of all the possible real world models that could have been created for RF I'm shocked that this one has never been done. I have lots of info available.

Attachments

• 800px-Fokker_D_VIII_3_vues.jpg
    800px-Fokker_D_VIII_3_vues.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 12
  • der-razor-49058.jpg
    der-razor-49058.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Fokker_D-8.jpg
    Fokker_D-8.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 12
  • FOKKER-D8 3.jpg
    FOKKER-D8 3.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 7
While that is a nice looking plane Its flat wing and forward gear would make it a bad choice for a trainer. That plane would be for more advance flyers. This might be better posted in the request thread. And thanks for at least taking the time to get some good references for it..

Last edited:
Yeah I know the landing gear are 'unfriendly' to even experienced pilots. The parasol wing, the scale factor and the fact D-8's have been in the r/c world for years has suprised me that the've gone unnoticed here for so long.Oh well thanks for taking notice and your input is invaluable. Onward and upward. :)

well atleast were savfe in knowing that if any one needed an in flight bench they could stand between the wheels, or sit. :D

Thanks for the suggestion grndpndr. Unfortunately I think junkboy is correct in his thinking though. I was thinking more "trainer" type like the PT-40, NexSTAR, etc.

You are all correct in that the D-8 is a very nice looking aircraft.

What is the Foam plane that been request a few time.. The Emo or something like that..

Edit Multiplex Mentor ?

Last edited:
E-flite Apprentice 15e RTF

Might be tough to find good photos though.

I'll look around for some.

Attachments

• EFL2725-450.jpg
    EFL2725-450.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 7
  • EFL2725-GAL1.jpg
    EFL2725-GAL1.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 4
  • EFL2725-GAL3.jpg
    EFL2725-GAL3.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Thanks for the idea / suggestion Doug. I'll wait several more days to see if any other the members can come up with a good candidate to model (with required info, pics, etc.) If not I will then begin my search for a nice looking trainer myself(again hopefully with the information, pictures I need) I just don't know what kinda of trainers others would be interested in.

I've stumbled across the Top Flite Elder and am contemplating doing this as my first true R/C model for G4.5 I know this is more of an intermediate / sport plane compared to a NexStar, PT-40, etc. but I would still consider it a possible choice for a beginner's 2nd or 3rd model?

I remember my father built and flew (crashed) one of these when I was just a wee little lad (I'll try and dig some pictures up of his old plane)

I was hoping to find a "trainer" type with less details, so I could spare more details for R/C type features (jeffpn knows what I mean) This model has a bunch of flying or bracing wires, gun, etc. I might need to remove some of those details so I can "R/C" it up a bit?!?

I checked out the online manual for the Elder (like dhk79 suggested) and came up with some pretty darn good info, pics and specs.

If this is an alright project for everyone I will get started on it after the P-47 is ready?

Attachments

• topa0215-03b.jpg
    topa0215-03b.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 18
  • topa0215-02b.jpg
    topa0215-02b.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 14
A wonderful choice, and I remember Jeffpn's suggestions at personalization(sheer brilliance). A theme we can all identify with! :D

thegibson said:
good choice. you better be able to nail that chrome material, imo it makes the plane

I don't think it would be too hard to get the chrome....but I plan to replicate the scheme my father did on his. Still trying to dig up an old pic.

My standard setup for RC control horns and linkages are 600 poly. For the simple bent rods one a little bit more if I use the clips and servos. I can post them on the parts page if you like to use them.

Junkboy999 said:
My standard setup for RC control horns and linkages are 600 poly. For the simple bent rods one a little bit more if I use the clips and servos. I can post them on the parts page if you like to use them.

I appreciate the offer, but I've actually made up a small parts inventory of small R/C parts. Grabbed several items directly from Tower Hobbies and used the pics as the "3-views" for correct / accurate dimensions!

Dug up a couple old pictures of my father's Elder he built "back in the day" I plan to replicate this scheme as well. Since he has my old G3.5 he'll be surprised to see it in the sim when I send it to him.

Attachments

• DM Elder 1.jpg
    DM Elder 1.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 37
  • DM Elder 2.jpg
    DM Elder 2.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 115
  • DM Elder 3.jpg
    DM Elder 3.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 123
I had one of the red plastic bombs on my first trainer... It would open in half and you put in some flower in the nose for weight and for marking the ground for target practice.

Back