McDonnell XP-67 Build

Boof69

I went fishing through the request thread and came across a request from very far back. Like 2008 from Norton. I found out no one ever built the XP-67. So I got a nice 3 view with 22 cross sections in all and set up a studio. It took 2 hours to cut it up and set up the studio!

Attachments

• Ni22494.jpg
    Ni22494.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Sweetness!!! :D

There are tons of super cool X planes that could be modeled. I am really excited to see this on your drawing board. :)

I'm making this one using the edge copy method. It's used when modeling organic shapes such as the human form, but the smooth contours of the XP-67 are very organic. While forming the shape things look pretty weird and there is a fair amount poly shaving that will take place after the general shape is flushed out, but this is the fastest method I know of to use for this model.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 63
This plane was going to be a b---- from the get go. Very valiant effort on your part. :cool:

I'm sure justice will be done.

Cheers Boof..........................

I've had my brother up from Florida and have had other distractions but I found some time tonight to sculpt a bit more on the XP-67. This is a challenge for sure, but once I get past the aft section of the fuse it will be pretty straight forward. I will just need to extrude the wings and make the horizontal stabilizer. Then Landing gear and maybe a cockpit. Only If poly count will allow. I fully expect to be able to reclaim polys after to fuse and nacelles are finished. Right now though I already have 2366 polys involved. eek! :eek: Fingers crossed.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
If you made a G5.5 version, I'd be verry happy. The XP-67 is one of my favorite
military experimental planes.

brields said:
You only need to change the physics. G6 still uses .rfx extension.

brields said:

I find it hard to believe that most people even knew about this plane. Let along you.

It was a plane that most of the public never heard about?

Whatever though. ;)

I hadn't planned to make a G5.5 version. I really want to get familiarized with RF 6 physics and I don't like making AVs, but maybe someone else will end up doing it. :)

brields said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_XP-67 You'r dealing with someone who researches military airplanes as a HOBBY. ;)
That's why there are more full scale aircraft variants on the swaps now. :D
btw. I'm not MOST people, encase you haven't noticed.

So your responsible for all the scale models on the swaps? Your simple query to wiki is very funny by the way.

Give me a break

EDIT: I will give you this, you are getting better at the forum thing. It only gets better I hope. ;)

Last edited:
Fully enclosed geometry and all parts of the airframe modeled. Hard part is done!
Gear and cockpit left to model. Poly count is a little high at 3637, but I think I can wring out some extra polys before it's done.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 37
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg