F-16 C Build Thread

We increased the limit to 27,000 in an early RF7 update, so that bought some more headroom.

Boof, you're right, there is a cap in RealFlight itself ensuring the count stays under 135,000 now. It is a little fuzzy because the actual count changes slightly when going from Max -> FBX -> KEX. So it's theoretically possible that you could be under the limit in Max but get rejected in RealFlight because of some inflation. This would only ever be a problem if you were right up against that limit, though, which with 135k should not be an actual, real-world-use problem. ;)

It's also worth keeping in mind that there is a per-frame limit of 65k. So no one part of your vehicle can exceed that, and airport objects must stay under that entirely. Again, this is not a limit you are likely to bump up against in normal use.

We increased the limit to 27,000 in an early RF7 update, so that bought some more headroom.

Boof, you're right, there is a cap in RealFlight itself ensuring the count stays under 135,000 now. It is a little fuzzy because the actual count changes slightly when going from Max -> FBX -> KEX. So it's theoretically possible that you could be under the limit in Max but get rejected in RealFlight because of some inflation. This would only ever be a problem if you were right up against that limit, though, which with 135k should not be an actual, real-world-use problem. ;)

It's also worth keeping in mind that there is a per-frame limit of 65k. So no one part of your vehicle can exceed that, and airport objects must stay under that entirely. Again, this is not a limit you are likely to bump up against in normal use.
Single frame limits shouldn't matter if I break the frame at a smoothing group border and then parent it to the original. However I'm not near 65k for any given frame.

Last edited:
Adding more instruments and adding glass over what will be the printed part of each one. Also started the flight stick which was difficult to make without the use of a lot of polys.
I've included some wire-frame grabs. Anyone have a guess where the triangle count currently sits?

Attachments

• PanelGlass_01.png
    PanelGlass_01.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
  • PanelGlass_02.png
    PanelGlass_02.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
  • PanelGlass_03.png
    PanelGlass_03.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 43
  • Tail.png
    Tail.png
    562.1 KB · Views: 45
  • WholeModel.png
    WholeModel.png
    657.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Wire_nose.png
    Wire_nose.png
    643.1 KB · Views: 44
Looking fantastic Boof, can`t wait to see the finished gauges. I woudn`t have a clue about the poly count ??, However, I`ve got a question, for anyone that wants to answer, just for fun.... can you find the fish and the bottle opener in the wire frame shot.. (pic. 5). ) It`s pretty easy..;):)

Amazing work, are you building this for RealFlight or do you secretly work a combat simulator designer, This thing is going to look better than most combat flight sims I've ever used.

Today wasn't the most fruitful but I cut the last of the panel lines for the top of the fuselage. As well as the top and bottom of the wings. The vertical has some panels but the horizontals have just one. The bottom of the fuse is quite busy with them so I hope to have those done tomorrow. Canopy has been liberated. The ball is rolling again for sure.
I'm new so I started reading this thread from the beginning and the detail you're putting in this model is awesome. I suppose the only thing I'd mention is I worked on Jets for many years in the Air Force during the Vietnam war and the panel lines look off, access panels on a Jet are very close together and scale wise aren't nearly as deep as the ones in your model. In real life these panels would cause way to much drag and would tear off after the plane got to speed so you might think about making the width and depth of the panel lines about half of what they are to make them look more scale. Actually for scale you'd hardly be able to see them. But the plane is beautiful you're doing a great job I just wanted to share some of my experience with you.

I read this earlier in the day under a different member name and it has now changed to Flip who was banned days ago. The other name he used was don something.

It turns out that other account was flip coming back and pretending. I merged the accounts, then realized that while doing that makes things clearer in some ways, it made the new posts pretty confusing. Sorry about that! Rest assured that despite appearances, the banned account was not able to actually post.

It turns out that other account was flip coming back and pretending. I merged the accounts, then realized that while doing that makes things clearer in some ways, it made the new posts pretty confusing. Sorry about that! Rest assured that despite appearances, the banned account was not able to actually post.
Been a busy morning for you Ryan, first edgev3 and then flip lol

Yes, quite busy. I don't get grumpy often, but I'm a bit grumpy today over this stuff. ?

On the other hand, I'm still riding the high of figuring out what was happening with abaser's model, which helps. ?

To react to Flips statement, I also have concerns about the width of the panel lines. I figured that making them larger may show better at scale and in the sim. If however this is not the case I have a contingency plan to narrow them. I thought bigger would be the easier place to start from a mapping point of view.

Back