Tractor 120

OneDrive is, unfortunately, forcibly crammed down user's throats, but there are some good reasons for that. Rather than debate the issue, I may have thought of a way to make it less of a problem for you and others.

I don't even bother to set up OneDrive, so I don't have the problem or a testbed, but the functionality is similar to iCloud for Mac. The biggest problem that cloud sync services have is that they start by moving everything that exists in certain folders to the cloud and then leaving a stub file on your local system. Some programs don't deal well with the actual file not being immediately available for file activity, especially because the cloud services are integrated to the point that the OS is lying to apps and pretending that the file is really still there while it fetches it.

I know that you have searched in vain for a way to exempt files and folders from OneDrive, but have you tried the inverse? Isn't there an option to always keep a local copy of files and folders you identify? I know that iCloud for Windows has that feature.

Okay. I hit post, then did my own search. You should be able to use the OneDrive Files On Demand settings to ensure that the files are always available on the PC:
I went to OneDrive On-Line and set all the folders to keep a local copy but that doesn't solve the problem I have. My big issue is my Real Flight 8 folder was 13GB and my Real Flight 9 folder was 8GB and I didn't want to buy extra storage and they only give you 5GB for free. So I wanted to get rid of it and I think the webpage I found gave me a fix, or at least so far it seems to be working. There's a Group Policy setting called "Prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage" and when enabled stops the use of OneDrive for file storage by all the built in apps and removes it from the File Explorer Navigation pane. So this seems to be to solution I was looking for.

So to test it I restored my system (again) from the system image I made and then enabled that Group Policy setting then uninstalled onedrive and rebooted the computer. When the computer restarted onedrive was gone but when I installed Office 2019 Home and Business again it came back but always showed up as OffLine. So I uninstalled onedrive again and so far it hasn't came back. So I'm thinking it if does come back when I install something it will at least stay disabled so it doesn't sync any files. So I think I have what I wanted but we'll see as time goes by.

Thanks for finding out how to disable it manually and passing it along to everyone.
Absolutely! Thanks!

You still have to be careful with any Windows software installer, though, cause they often squeeze in an "offer" to install one product or another with the consent already checked. If you tend to click through installs on autopilot, you will eventually have installed all of their software, whether or not you wanted any of it.

Does anyone have any suggestions the Windows 10 20H2 update errors during the reboot on my new install and rolls back the files. All USB drives are disconnected and all drivers have been updated and I don't have a 3rd party anti-virus just the built-in one from Microsoft.

ASUS Z170-P with 6700K and 32 GB nothing overclocked
Samsung SSD 950 Pro 512GB M2.SSD
MSI 1080 Gaming X
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer

20H2 Error
Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2
Failed to install on ‎11/‎16/‎2020 - 0xc1900101

Last edited:
Probably a driver conflict. Check this page for help:

Yeah I did lots of searches and found the talk about driver issues, but it's hard to update your drivers when you have the latest available and no one seems to be griping about them. So I'm a bit stuck. But I downloaded the Microsoft ISO for the 20H2 build and I may reinstall again using it since I have a system image of my current install to put back if I need to. Man I've never had problems like this with a windows install before. We'll be heading out to my wife's doctor visit soon so I'll be gone until late this afternoon.

I have some older laptops stuck on Win 10 build 1903 because of a Microsoft Storage Controller that it says is not compatible. But I can't remove it. It's last driver update available is from 2006. I guess they just stay on an older windows forever. You would think MS would have a solution for their own stuff but NOPE !

I guess they just stay on an older windows forever. You would think MS would have a solution for their own stuff but NOPE !
Yeah, the problem that Microshaft has is that there is an incredible diversity of hardware and software running their OS. It's impossible to support everything at all, let alone adequately and indefinitely, and that includes their own hardware, software, and firmware.

You might consider trolling for opensource drivers. There are many more available than you would think, and they often crop up with recognizably branded hardware because it's more common.

I have some older laptops stuck on Win 10 build 1903 because of a Microsoft Storage Controller that it says is not compatible. But I can't remove it. It's last driver update available is from 2006. I guess they just stay on an older windows forever. You would think MS would have a solution for their own stuff but NOPE !
Maybe Microsoft just wants you too buy the latest version of their computers.

I deleted all the windows update download cache and three hidden directories it creates during an update and did the 20H2 update again. Ha.. I got lots further than before but at 48 percent it crashed again with the same code, so lots of work but no cigar.

I also used a program called Rufus and created a "new" windows install USB Thumb Drive using the Windows 10 20H2 ISO so I suppose it's time to try that next, but like I said I have the windows image file I created for this install so I can always go back to where I was. But this sure is getting tiresome.

Good luck . I tried the same thing with a bootable 2004 ISO thumb drive and it errored out just the same on the problem laptops when I was having similar problems going to that. Also tried the Windows Updater program as well. Currently I'm trying a jump directly to 20H2 from 1909 on one of them.

Good luck . I tried the same thing with a bootable 2004 ISO thumb drive and it errored out just the same on the problem laptops when I was having similar problems going to that. Also tried the Windows Updater program as well. Currently I'm trying a jump directly to 20H2 from 1909 on one of them.
At least I wouldn't have any of the drivers I updated after installing windows and any of the programs I installed that might have something the 20H2 update doesn't like. Ha.. does the 20H2 update require a new computer. This is a bad showing for Microsoft my system isn't that old and the programs I use work with every other update, so there's some sort of compatibility issue with the 20H2 update for sure.

i seen that as well when i was looking but you all beat me to commenting haha , i have the 20H2 version installed on my system but have one issue with it , it didn't seem to like my old logitec wireless keyboard and mouse so i used my microsoft one and had no more issues so i'm guessing it was a driver thing as well

Last edited:
Well an update on my 20H2 battle. I actually have two windows system images saved, one with Windows 10 installed, the Intel INF Update and the Video and Audio drivers. Then the second with everything installed meaning all my applications. So I went back to my first system image and the same thing happened with the 20H2 update it errored out during the reboot. SO.. now I'm going to try reinstalling windows with the USB Boot drive I created with the Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft that has the 20H2 update already in the ISO. So if this works at least I'll know it's not a piece of hardware in my system causing the problem. Boy this had been the biggest pain I've ever had installing windows. OK.. off the try the new install.

Back