North American P-51 build thread

Okay I have looked at the XB-68 several times since I voted for the F-15 and the more I see the XB-68 the more I like it, stubby anhedral wings with wing tip landing gear, long fuselage, high mount dihedral horizontal stabs with generous leading edge sweep for supersonic operation. YES I like it.

Voting for XB-68 ... I like unique !
Would also vote for a F-101 Voodoo if you ever ask !
ooh the F-101 is a cool looking plane!
F-101B_New_York_ANG_in_flight_1978.jpeg

gbfrdgbrf.jpg

Last edited:
Voting for XB-68 ... I like unique !
Would also vote for a F-101 Voodoo if you ever ask !
OH HELL YEAH, I would go for the Voodoo as well, I used to watch them and F-4 Phantoms fly over my house heading out to who knows where, or on approach everyday, also heard sonic booms quite a bit, which ultimately came to an end because of complaints from the public. They were flying out of Hamilton AFB in Novato Ca., which was eventually closed in the `70`s (Gov. cuts), Man, I loved living under their pattern as a teen :D :D :D

OH HELL YEAH, I would go for the Voodoo as well, I used to watch them and F-4 Phantoms fly over my house heading out to who knows where, or on approach everyday, also heard sonic booms quite a bit, which ultimately came to an end because of complaints from the public. They were flying out of Hamilton AFB in Novato Ca., which was eventually closed in the `70`s (Gov. cuts), Man, I loved living under their pattern as a teen :D :D :D
I think it really is reminiscent of the F-4 Phantom.

UPDATE: Well according too this article, the F-4 was inspired by the F-101:
(too long didn't read: the F-4's engine placement was inspired by the F-101)

Last edited:
I have been focusing on finishing the B-35 and B-49. but here is a little work update.

View attachment 128169View attachment 128170
I know that the plane looks good in dark blue as seen here, BUT the blue sections were actually 'Flat Olive Drab'. The old photographs are faded due to the chemical changes in the dyes used in photography. I have posted this scheme using a plastic model that I bought as a reference. I hope you and everyone like it.

I know that the plane looks good in dark blue as seen here, BUT the blue sections were actually 'Flat Olive Drab'. The old photographs are faded due to the chemical changes in the dyes used in photography. I have posted this scheme using a plastic model that I bought as a reference. I hope you and everyone like it.

I am building the model so it can use any CS (with minor tweeks) from the g5 P-51D mustang and newer so it is a place holder. The one shown is the bald eagle scheme (my favorite). I will either make a full custom scheme or use the raf scheme as a starting point.

Any color issues at this point in the build can be taken up with who ever made the bald eagle scheme of knife edge software.

Back