RF/KE Heli tutorial: Are there sample projects available for download (see post)

spykez

Dear KE/Everybody.

I refer to the circled below, is there a samples folder with examples anywhere? I just tried to search for it on my install, could not seemingly find it. Any advice appreciated! Thanks

1713691880026.png

If I remember right that samples folder was part of the KEMax RF7 utility needed for modeling in 3DS Max 2012. You can download the file at the link below. It will install a utility needed "way" back and is no longer needed, but it also installed some samples. Use the link at the top of the page to download the setup_max2012_RF7.exe file. It should install it's files here for a 64-bit OS. (C:\Program Files (x86)\Knife Edge Software\KEMax\Plugins) Look at the readme.txt file in the main folder for more information after you install it. It doesn't do anything but install the files so it shouldn't hurt anything to install it. As you can see from the date modified in the picture I installed it in 2023 to look at one of the samples.

https://forums.realflight.com/KEmax/downloads.php

Here's a picture of the KEMax RF7 Samples Folder.

KEMax RF7 Utility.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks I'll try it later, I didn't dare do that earlier this morning for I don't have 3DS max installed.

I'll give it a bash, I don't suppose I could actually brick anything, I guess

Thanks I'll try it later, I didn't dare do that earlier this morning for I don't have 3DS max installed.

I'll give it a bash, I don't suppose I could actually brick anything, I guess
Here's the first part of the readme file, notice what it says about the installation. The installer does nothing but copy over the files. I could upload a copy of the sample files, BUT.. they belong to RealFlight and I don't want to distribute them without their permission.

To avoid installation issues, the KEMax installer does not manipulate your 3ds Max installation in any way. Before you will be able to use the KEMax export filter, you will have to register it with 3ds Max. The following instructions will help you to do this.

That worked, @technoid , thanks, unfortunately, I just realised there is no .FBX or .blend file in there.

Seems I can't import .max with Blender (currently running 4.1). Ah, well, at least I have the RF model there to look at in RF itself.

Of course, if someone here can convert that heli .max model to any of the following file types that will preserve the necessary info, that would be much appreciated.

1713721251279.png
maybe even @Ryan Douglas ? Would that be too much of an ask? :)

So many file types there, I'm not even sure what is appropriate? I'm guessing .fbx or .stl? How do people normally exchange 3D models amongst different editors/tools?

Here I exported it to an FBX and OBJ. It said it was an old format and had some warnings so see if it's okay.

Attachments

• Heli Example.zip
    873.2 KB · Views: 2
Thanks so much! Appreciate it! Downloading it now

Update: The .fbx is apparently an ascii file or so the error message says.

1713726895230.png

Obj just had a single unnamed mesh. No hierarchies etc.

No other way to save a newer .fbx, is there, @technoid ? Thanks for trying, though. Really appreicate it.

Last edited:

View attachment 139166

No other way to save a newer .fbx, is there, @technoid ? Thanks for trying, though. Really appreicate it.
There's not an option to import an ascii fbx? I can export it as a binary fbx if you want.

I exported it as a binary FBX for you. Let me know if it works.

Attachments

• Heli Example.zip
    551.6 KB · Views: 1
FBX binary works but it displaces some objects, Mainhub and Tailhub are rotated 90 degrees, Vfin moved to center of model and some collision meshes are moved.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-21 163206.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-21 163206.png
    378.4 KB · Views: 3
I imported the binary FBX and it seems to be okay here. I use an older version of 3ds so that's probably why.

Heli Example 01.jpgHeli Example 02.jpg

Yeah that is strange, but at least the obj and dae exports worked good.
What version of Blender did you use for the import? I have 3.6

Okay, the pictures I posted in #11 are the Heli example in Blender 3.6

Yes the Heli example imports perfectly for me into 3DSmax 2023 (looks exactly like the pictures in your post #12) I was just testing what file types (exports out of 3dsmax) that @spykez could use, obj file seems to be the best option. (pic attached) of obj import into Blender 3.6

Attachments

• OBJ File.jpg
    OBJ File.jpg
    425.7 KB · Views: 5
Okay, the pictures I posted in #11 are the Heli example in Blender 3.6

Yes the Heli example imports perfectly for me into 3DSmax 2023 (looks exactly like the pictures in your post #12) I was just testing what file types (exports out of 3dsmax) that @spykez could use, obj file seems to be the best option. (pic attached) of obj import into Blender 3.6
Did you import the OBJ from my ZIP file in Post #7? He said there was a problem with it.

View attachment 139166

@spykez I just exported the Heli Example to an OBJ again (I deleted the first one I did). When I imported it everything looked fine so I checked the schematic to see what it looked like. All the parts were there but they were not connected anymore (child parent connections). Then I realized that always happens to me when I export an OBJ and import the OBJ. So is that what you're talking about, all the parts are there but they aren't connected any longer. If that's what you meant that always happens to me when I export an OBJ from a MAX file. I looked at the export dialog box but I didn't see any option that would fix that. Maybe @legoman can offer some input on this. As in, is that a normal thing that happens when a MAX is exported to an OBJ file. I always assumed it was and just had to reparent all the parts when I imported an OBJ.

Back