Nigel_B

Avro Anson Mk I 4S4P EP_AV

• avro-0.jpg
    avro-0.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 81
This is a rather more lively, aerobatic, 88 kph (55mph) 4S4P brushless motor powered variant of herc40's gorgeous Avro Anson MK1. Performance of the model, with two Turnigy SK42- 40 750 brushless motors turning the same 16 x 10, two-bladed propellers as the original EA, is enhanced somewhat using the 4S4P battery pack described here.

The battery pack comprises a total of sixteen 2500mAh Lipo cells, eight for each motor, still giving a total capacity of 10,000 mAh, but at a nominal 16.8V.
With a current drain of no more than 65A (once the motors have 'unloaded', more usually somewhere between 40A and 60A, depending upon how much throttle you use).

This configuaration enables model to fly for about 6 mins at full throttle, longer if you are more gentle with the throttle, compared to 8 mins with the original EA's 710 cc (24 oz) tank and a pair of OS FP40's consuming fuel at a rate of 44 cc per min ( 1½ oz per min). Don't be fooled by RF's Nav Guide display; for some reason it only shows consumption as if there was a single engine (well, that's the case with 4.5), but not for electric motors; it displays remaining battery capacity correctly.

The AUW is still lower than the original EA; 4.9 kg (10.8 lb) compared to 5.13 kg (11.3lb). However, there is sure to be room for improvement; as it is, this AV is using as many items from the original EA as possible, no 'electric' props or anything like that, or attempts to maximise efficiency.

Performance is rather more lively with a 4S4P pack of sixteen 2500mAh cells; loops are now possible whilst the battery pack is still fresh, just make sure that you start with about 80 kph (50 mph) forward airspeed (from a shallow dive is best) and intiate the manoevre whilst you are still at least 20 m (65ft) above the ground!

The only other change is to the tailplane incidence, which has been changed from minus point two degrees (-0.2 deg), to point two degrees (0.2 deg), to keep the model trimmed level whilst flying faster.

Many, many thanks to Herc40, Junkboy999 and Willsonman, and all who had a hand in creating the original EA: avro_EA.

I have thoroughly enjoyed myself coming up with this AV. I hope you will all enjoy flying it.

Nigel_B

History: This was the first low-wing monoplane used by the RAF, and the first operational aircraft with retractable (manually) landing gear. Canadian built Mk 2s were even used by the U.S. Army as AT-20 crew trainers. Pitifully slow and weakly armed even with two engines should one of the Armstrong Siddeley Cheetah IX radials fail she had little chance of staying in the air on the remaining engine. Even with these faults her crews loved flying her claiming that she was not only sturdy but reliable and pleasant to fly.

This variant requires:

avro_EA
Reactions: herc40
Back