Nigel_B

Optica 8 kg 30N Schreckling FD3-64ls Turbine_AV

• Edgley Optica-0.jpg
    Edgley Optica-0.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 62
This a very pleasant to fly, 135 kph Optica of 2.36m wingspan, weighing 8 kg wet (7 kg dry) and powered by a 30N Schreckling FD3-64ls Turbine.

She is very nimble and manoevreable and able to perform loops from level flight with just 30N of thrust (a thrust to weight ratio of only 0.3675:1)!

This AV was inspired by helohero's Optica turbine_AV, and addresses most, if not all, of the shortcomings of both the original EA and helohero's AV.

I was amazed how much thrust the GriffinTurboprop produced: 97N plus another 77N from the 25x25 5-bladed fan.

Of course, the thrust from the fan would drop-off with forward velocity, but that still left nearly 100N from the jet element of the turboprop (unless I have completely the wrong handle on all this.

So a few experiments revealed that a home designed, home fabricated, Schreckling FD3-64ls turbine producing 30N of thrust puts in a very similar performance.
I can only think that the 'disc' area of the fan would have been putting a brake on things.

At 135 kph max speed the model still flys in a scale-like, realistic,fashion. Landings are easier and the model is generally more pleasant to handle than theoriginal EA or the other turbine AV.

Negative 100% (-100%) exponential has been added to the throttle channel to give more precise control of the turbobine engine at lower power settings, and some washout has been added to the outboard wing panels to alleviate the wicked tip stall that the model was prone to.

Wheel brakes can be applied by pushingon the stick, i.ie. giving 'down' elevator.

To take-off, set half-flap and run the engine up against the brakes until you get full power, then release the brakes and go!
To land, work through half-flap then set full-flaps, and reduce speed to about 60-65 kph.

Mike C has produced some marvelous colour schemes for this model; Optica G-BGMW_CS and the very colourful U S A 1_CS, both available on the Swaps.

Many thanks (yet once again) to the very talented Mr Gibson for his beutifully detailed Edgley Optica_EA, and to helohero for inspiring me to produce this AV.

Nigel_B

This variant requires:

Edgley Optica_EA
Back