33% Pitts S-1 Special

abaser

By request, I present the Pitts S-1 build. I have only gotten the 3-views set so far, but I actually spent alot of time on them getting them scaled as requested and making sure everything was actually lining up properly. Building will start later today or tonight.

(and for those thinking it, yes I know there are some available;):p)

Attachments

• zzz.jpg
    zzz.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 54
Just a few progress shots. Lots of touching up to do, but it's a start.

Attachments

• zzz.jpg
    zzz.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 20
  • zzz1.jpg
    zzz1.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 16
  • zzz2.jpg
    zzz2.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 32
I know this doesn't look like much progress, but this just about made me scream. In the majority of the pics that Ive seen of this model show the Vstab as part of the fuse. So, I give it my best shot, and I will say that I HATE these types of curves now:p

Attachments

• zzz.jpg
    zzz.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 21
A little more progress. Time these past couple days has really been hard to find for this.

I have to be honest here, Ive never been just real impressed with the bumped in wing ribs, so I decided to try something different for me, modeling them in. Surprisingly, Ive got it down to adding around 50 polys per wing half, so Ill be adding an extra 200 on this model, but Im pretty pleased with the outcome.

Attachments

• zzz.jpg
    zzz.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 14
  • zzz2.jpg
    zzz2.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 22
Ok, ok. So you may be right. But I dont see it. The red circle indicates the face count. Count the number of untriangulated faces. I come up with 24, and if a poly cant be more than twice the quad, that's 48:p:D

Attachments

• zzz1.jpg
    zzz1.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 47
That's an interesting method. When I did it in that link I provided, I selected the ribs and extruded them out. That's alot more polies than pushing the between areas in. Nice job!

To be fair though, after it's all said and done, the top wing is near 80 faces heavy over the bottom. Most of which are already triangulated though.

Maj., I think I'm going to combine this technique with the technique I was just telling you about. Should make for some good bones, and you'll see exactly where the ribs are (not that you'll need to bump them, but you will need to color them into the wing.)

It works on the tail too:p

This is a little exaggerated though. It will be a little less noticeable when I finish, just out of time for now.

I also reworked the wing ribs a bit to give the effect of TE sheeting.

Attachments

• zzz.jpg
    zzz.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 16
  • zzz1.jpg
    zzz1.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Nice :D

It works on the tail too:p

This is a little exaggerated though. It will be a little less noticeable when I finish, just out of time for now.

I also reworked the wing ribs a bit to give the effect of TE sheeting.

Again, not much time tonight, but I got all of the wings ribbed out. Here's a quick rough render.

Attachments

• Pitts.jpg
    Pitts.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 18
Back